Page 174 of 218 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3266

Ironheart is getting a solo by Eve Ewing.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...821-story.html

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That cover's bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Ironheart is getting a solo by Eve Ewing.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...821-story.html
    Gonna need a mirror link. Blocked in the EU.

EDIT: Never mind, someone linked one on Reddit - https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08...ams-eve-ewing/

Riri does have a solo appreciation thread, so I bumped it up.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-20-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelFan91 View Post
    Then maybe superhero comics aren't for you if you don't like social justice.
    Still struggling to contribute in a meaningful way to the discussion, dude? Keep trying, dude.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Zub just said on tumblr he was going to mention the super heo fourms in #22 but it just "came across as clunky in the dialog" , but he wants to find a way to use it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Also, the idea of gun control in the Marvel Universe is silly. Aliens are real and invade and impersonate humans. Humanity shares the planet with other beings who also have superpowers like the Inhumans, Atlanteans etc. You have your Mutants. You have your monsters. You have heroes who spend all their time fighting them and eachother.

If Marvel is really the world outside your window not only is their no such thing as gun control the average citizen would be using weapons far more advanced than guns.
    Not so.

As we see regularly, guns are still very much a part of the MU. There's still muggers, drug dealers, and street crime.

We see criminals in the MU all the time using regular firearms and not laser guns or more exotic weaponry.

And the average citizen still has children, who have to attend school and face the same dangers that children in our world today face.

The average citizen in the MU is probably a lot less worried about the chances of Galactus stepping on their kid's school than they are of a disturbed student coming in with a gun.

BANNED

Still struggling to contribute in a meaningful way to the discussion, dude? Keep trying, dude.
    And I see you're still struggling with the concept of superheroes being about social justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not so.

As we see regularly, guns are still very much a part of the MU. There's still muggers, drug dealers, and street crime.

We see criminals in the MU all the time using regular firearms and not laser guns or more exotic weaponry.

And the average citizen still has children, who have to attend school and face the same dangers that children in our world today face.

The average citizen in the MU is probably a lot less worried about the chances of Galactus stepping on their kid's school than they are of a disturbed student coming in with a gun.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not so.

The parents of the children in the Marvel Universe don't face the same dangers as real parents. You could argue that they are a just as worried about a student turning out to be a mutant and injuring one of the kids with their powers. But Marvel keeps it at our level and we suspend our belief. But when issues like this come along we run the risk of it turning into "A very special" issue. I just don't want this to be something we all laugh at like JMS' crying Doom.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Spectacular Member

People are arguing over an issue they haven’t even read yet. Jim Zub has been doing a great job and I have faith that he will handle this well. There’s been one blurb about the issue and a couple of textless panels.

“Centered on Miles Morales, the story is about a tragedy and the trauma that ripples outward from senseless violence - and the people that come together to support each other to build a better future, which is the heart of every Champions story. I’m incredibly proud of everyone’s work on this issue, and I’m thankful we were given the chance to tell this story.” - Jim Zub

Nowhere does he mention anything about gun control. He mentions people supporting each other which is probably what Ms. Marvel is doing in that panel with her and Miles in it.

Why not respectfully agree to disagree and pass your judgement on the issue when it comes out?

I’m just looking forward to seeing Miles in the book after being gone for a while and him being at the heart of a meaningful and impactful story.

The parents of the children in the Marvel Universe don't face the same dangers as real parents. You could argue that they are a just as worried about a student turning out to be a mutant and injuring one of the kids with their powers. But Marvel keeps it at our level and we suspend our belief. But when issues like this come along we run the risk of it turning into "A very special" issue. I just don't want this to be something we all laugh at like JMS' crying Doom.
    Sorry to butt in here, I not here to insult you or your views on the topic, but to try to have a conversation. One without the name calling or put-downs on ones views and opinions of an issue that doesn't follow their own.

And please correct me if I get anything wrong on where you coming from, but I think you're general concern for issue #24 is that you don't want such a sensitive and important real world issue such as school gun violence to come off as ham-fisted and overzealous to one side of the conversation right? If so then I can understand the concern.

A matter such as this has got to be handled carefully, and it would appear that you have some misgivings about whether Marvel, as it is now, has the capacity to do so. Again I can understand the concern given it's hit and miss track record. But it does nobody; not you or me, or anybody, any good for our emotional or mental health to immediately assume this will not end well. We can only make a fair judgment once the actual issue comes out. For all we know it may turn out as you feared but based off of the writer's, Jim Zub's, track record and genuine sincerity on the subject, I would like to think and have hope that it's in good hands.

Zub has also gone on to explain that while the cause of this story's situation is school gun violence, the meat of the story will be about the trauma it inflicts in it's aftermath and how people can come together to help those who faced such a tragedy. And yes, this has to be handled carefully.

And while I do agree that the citizens in the MU definitely have more exaggerated concerns and dangers to deal with than the real world, that is still just one piece to the MU whole. The very reason this story can fit in the MU so well I think is because its the kind of things dealt with by the street level heroes like the Defenders, Moon Knight, Hawkeye (both Kate and Clint) and yes those of the Spider-Family too.

I also can't help but feel a lot of the articles that announced what issue #24 was going to be about click-baited their headlines in such a way were there was no doubt people will have immediate reactions, whether they be of praise, or disdain. Again you have every right to say an issue like this isn't for you and that's ok.

You strike me as the kind of reader who goes to comics for escapism from the harshness reality can deal us at times. You just don't want to be metaphorically beaten over the head with a message you see all the time being oversaturated on social media or the 24 hour news cycle. you just want a break from it all so your mind can rest and heal itself so your ready for the next day and your comics help you do just that.

So when the harshness of reality appears front and center on your favorite form of escapism it can feel like a betrayal. I can understand that. And maybe this issue covers a very sensitive subject for you, (I don't know and you don't have to tell me if you don't want to.), and you just don't want to think that such a topic is being used to sell issues. And While I don't think this is the intent of Jim Zub, for those unfamiliar with him or his work, its natural to think this way at first glance. But again the issue isn't even out yet so it makes no sense for us to be worrying and basing our opinions on something we have so little actual information about.

I'm not going to praise the story or give it my ire until I actually read it and critique its handling of such a real world problem as it was written. Champions, probably more than most Marvel comics out right now, has always dealt with hot topic current issues in the real world today, embodying the, "The World Outside Our Window" aspect Marvel has been known for since it's conception. And it has done this while under it backdrop of great teen hero characters.

And no they as a comics publisher have not always stuck the landing when addressing such issues. But I don't think this particular series has truly tripped and fallen as of yet. If anything having Zub on as the new writer has given me hope that the messages being tackled in its pages are being handled with genuine care, and with a little bit more competence.

Again that's not to say the story won't turn out to be a failure, anything is possible. But it could also surprise us and actually stick the landing with out having an overzealous message that caters to one side of the other. But none of us will know until we actual read it next month. Am I on the right track from where I think you're perspective is coming from?
    Last edited by Grimm911; 08-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.

BANNED

The parents of the children in the Marvel Universe don't face the same dangers as real parents.
    Sure they do. They also have other worries on top on our more common concerns but they absolutely have the same worries as parents in our world.

Is all crime in the MU of a superhuman variety? No, of course not. There's still regular, everyday crime and random violence perpetrated by average people wielding weapons. And that surely worries parents every bit as much as the threat of galactic invasion. Any potential threat or danger to their child is one of equal importance to a parent.

But when issues like this come along we run the risk of it turning into "A very special" issue. I just don't want this to be something we all laugh at like JMS' crying Doom.
    Zub is a very skilled writer. I expect he'll do this subject justice and it won't be a cringe worthy issue in any way.

Astonishing Member

Nice to see Riri's getting another solo (technically her first). Still waiting on Miles's and Sam's.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Nice to see Riri's getting another solo (technically her first). Still waiting on Miles's and Sam's.
    Miles' new solo will most likely be release around or on the same week as the premier of his movie in December and when Spider-Geddon wraps up the week before the movie. So we'll probably here an announcement of it sometime in September before or after Marvel's December 2018 Solicitations.

As for Sam I have no clue if that's going to happen or not, but I would be all for it if the right kind of creative team was attached.

Here's the solicit for Champions #25

• In a world of magic and glory, the Champions can take hold of what they desire, but not without a price...
    • Plus, how can Snowguard protect the North, when she’s not even on planet Earth?

^#26.

I see Sam kitbashed a costume that resembles his usual one - but it's green instead of red. I wonder if that's a hint about a new permanent costume?

Why did Viv pick something that actually LOOKS like a robot? As for Nadia - reference to 90s Janet? She got mutated, which was undone because of Heroes Reborn.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman