Page 183 of 218 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3266
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You've fallen into the same trap as SpiderX, caught between calling the Champions empty make-believe and still trying to justify #24's realistic depiction of a school shooting. Suffice to say, if it's right for you to defend the painfully realistic storyline of #24 then it's also right for me to apply that same sense of realism to the other aspects of Champions as a book. That is unless you're will to concede that #24 is a jarring and inappropriate story for the Marvel universe, which has no place amongst the larger the life characters and fantastic narratives. This is an inevitable consequence of what happens when Marvel attempts to get political, just completely tone-deaf and unappealing.
    I didn’t fall into a trap. I just stopped arguing with you because of how unflinching and dogmatic you were in your opinion. So I just agreed to disagree. I still liken your argument to reading the recent Waid run on the Avengers when Kamala, San and Miles were on the book and complaining about Sam Wilson not being arrested for child endangerment since his identity is publicly known.

It’s a superhero comic with elements of realism. Not a realistic take on superheroes in our world.

But...back on topic.

I’m really looking forward to Champions #24 since it’s been a while since we’ve seen Miles. Although, it’s probably going to be a gut wrenching issue.

I’m even more excited for Weirdworld next month because #25 is larger than a normal issue.

Oh and random question.

If the Champions were to be made into a video game, what type of game would you guys want it to be?
    Last edited by SpiderX; 09-11-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    For what its worth, its been largely enjoyable reading the responses, but yeah, the venue may not be ideal.
    Honestly it is the right place.
    Because this discussion doesn't seem to start up with OTHER characters.

Why is it an issue with Miles, Khan, Sam, Riri, Cho & the others? Maybe it's due to the fact that a story like this would reach those WHO NEED to read it.
    Maybe whatever point is being offered (be it looking form outside your window or just telling a story) will reach people using these guys versus anyone else.

Take Disney's Gargoyles. There was an episode where Elisa Maza got shot accidentally by Broadway. You didn't see her for a few episodes afterwards. It was later explained that was done on purpose. To show that getting shot does take time to recover from a shot. I want to say it was mentioned on the show.

Same with Static Shock's gun episode. Richie's reaction to getting shot was "shown".

So instead of viewing as some attention grab by Marvel-it's Marvel saying lets do a story (hopefully) without the usual cast of characters.

Remember Miles has seen 3 people close to him get killed-Mom, Uncle Aaron and the kid from the Spider-Man annual. With visions of him killing Cap America & maybe Tony Stark. Now what if this is Ganke or Judge?
    Riri has seen her father and best friend killed.

Seems to me you got the perfect candidates.

Can't see the victim being anyone we know, they wouldn't kill off one of Miles's supporting cast outside of his solo, surely? Though I have to admit, Judge is pretty expendable as he's barely featured since the move to 616, I think Goldballs displaced him.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

For what it's worth, I already read the issue (being 12 hours ahead of Eastern and getting my comics Tuesday night) so I know who gets hurt physically, and emotionally. Reading it against the backdrop of school shootings, I'd say it's ripe for discussion in its depiction.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    For what it's worth, I already read the issue (being 12 hours ahead of Eastern and getting my comics Tuesday night) so I know who gets hurt physically, and emotionally. Reading it against the backdrop of school shootings, I'd say it's ripe for discussion in its depiction.
    Would you say it "damages the brand?"
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I read the issue and I kinda liked it. It felt in touch with the message that the Champions wants to transmit since issue 1. The characterizations were well done. My only complain is that this issue felt a little like it should have been a special or an annual story, because of the status of the main story ( spoilers:
    with Nadia and Sam lost in Weirdworld, and they didn't appear in this issue either nor get mentioned at all
    end of spoilers )

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I read the issue and I kinda liked it. It felt in touch with the message that the Champions wants to transmit since issue 1. The characterizations were well done. My only complain is that this issue felt a little like it should have been a special or an annual story, because of the status of the main story ( spoilers:
    with Nadia and Sam lost in Weirdworld, and they didn't appear in this issue either nor get mentioned at all
    end of spoilers )
    I feel the same; liked the story and thought it was definitely on par with other Champions stories, but yeah, it definitely felt like this should have been in an annual or something. Not that that's a bad thing or anything but pacing wise I felt like it was more an intermission before we get into the Weirdworld arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I feel the same; liked the story and thought it was definitely on par with other Champions stories, but yeah, it definitely felt like this should have been in an annual or something. Not that that's a bad thing or anything but pacing wise I felt like it was more an intermission before we get into the Weirdworld arc.
    well the first of the issue practically said it was an intermission xdd

Incredible Member

I wonder if there's some stupid editorial mandate about the number of team members in this book hence why Miles wasn't around in the previous issue.

Spectacular Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the issue. It wasn’t preachy or politically leaning either way.

However, I have a few nitpicks with the issue.

spoilers:
    First, there is no way Miles would just have his suit hanging out like that at the academy dorms even if he was grieving. Anyone could just walk by and open the door. Second, how many times is Miles going to stupidly take his mask off in public. It has to be a record at this point. Also the Danika keeping up the stalker fan girl thing is weird and should make you consider never taking your mask off and just trying to rely on spider sense.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by SpiderX; 09-12-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the issue. It wasn’t preachy or politically leaning either way.

However, I have a few nitpicks with the issue.

spoilers:
    First, there is no way Miles would just have his suit hanging out like that at the academy dorms even if he was grieving. Anyone could just walk by and open the door. Second, how many times is Miles going to stupidly take his mask off in public. It has to be a record at this point. Also the Danika keeping up the stalker fan girl thing is weird and should make you consider never taking your mask off and just trying to rely on spider sense.
    end of spoilers
    I like how Zub included those to make some light jokes about Miles' antics during Bendis' run. Showed some true dedication to character continuity.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I was also pleasantly surprised to see
    spoilers:
    Kamala's gang here as they rarely if ever have appeared outside of her title—if they have I haven't seen it.
    end of spoilers
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

^spoilers:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this was Mike, Zoe, and Nakia's first appearance outside of Ms Marvel. And it must be before Ms Marvel #31, because Kamala told Mike that she was texting "a friend from another school". If it was after she revealed her identity, she would've been able to admit it was Spider-Man without any issues.
    end of spoilers

Nitpick: spoilers:
    When the team was watching Miles and his friends at the end, Viv and Amadeus both wore hoodies to conceal their identities and Kamala had a baseball cap and still wore her mask. Kamala should've removed her mask and the other two should've used image inducers (we know they have the tech, Amadeus used one in Secret Empire to go undercover).
    end of spoilers

And another: spoilers:
    I knew they wouldn't kill anyone we knew. Was surprised that Goldballs got injured without even using his powers though. You'd think that would be sufficient proof that Miles couldn't have done anything!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I will concur with everyone else, the actual placement of this issue was really strange. Felt like it should've been an extra length annual rather than a one-shot smack dab in the middle of an arc where Sam and Nadia have gone missing.

That said, the issue itself was really good. Turns out for all the fear mongering, there was no political messages, just showing how the various members of the team actually cope with grief.

spoilers:
    Would be interesting to see whenever Miles' ongoing gets back up and running if Fabio's injury will carry over.
    end of spoilers
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

If people do not want to change what you can do?

That's a good question .