Page 56 of 218 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It depends on the execution. For instance, Maus deals with the Holocaust and the symbolism has the Jews as Mice and the Germans as Cats. It's won multiple literary awards, but if you were to describe the premise to a person on the street they might think you were taking a serious historical event and turning it into a Looney Tunes comic.
    I didnt say it was impossible but Maus has a very solemn tone and gravitas in it. And its probably my favorite Comic another being pride of baghdad.

But both of those comics were done by people who had a deep understanding of the issues and werent "feel good" comics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It depends on the execution. For instance, Maus deals with the Holocaust and the symbolism has the Jews as Mice and the Germans as Cats. It's won multiple literary awards, but if you were to describe the premise to a person on the street they might think you were taking a serious historical event and turning it into a Looney Tunes comic.
    I didnt say it was impossible but Maus has a very solemn tone and gravitas in it. And its probably my favorite Comic another being pride of baghdad.

But both of those comics were done by people who had a deep understanding of the issues and werent "feel good" comics.

Astonishing Member

Seems a lot of folks didn't like the last issue, fair enough, but I think it handled the situation as well as it could and to its fairness that's why it's a fictional country. And I don't think it simplified anything too much. The book made it pretty clear this wasn't a threat fixed or that could be fixed in a quick fashion/fight.

It'd be nice to see it revisted in the book somewhere down the line if Waid has a chance. IE to show if the area's improved or not but who knows...

But I think it made a good picture of sometimes the greatest heroes are the "ordinary folk" and that they're the ones who effect real change like many a comic have made and ultiamtely that hopeful feel good message is largely the point of the book.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Seems a lot of folks didn't like the last issue, fair enough, but I think it handled the situation as well as it could and to its fairness that's why it's a fictional country. And I don't think it simplified anything too much. The book made it pretty clear this wasn't a threat fixed or that could be fixed in a quick fashion/fight.

It'd be nice to see it revisted in the book somewhere down the line if Waid has a chance. IE to show if the area's improved or not but who knows...

But I think it made a good picture of sometimes the greatest heroes are the "ordinary folk" and that they're the ones who effect real change like many a comic have made and ultiamtely that hopeful feel good message is largely the point of the book.
    I thought it was fine for what it was.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just got around to reading this issue. Good golly, I absolutely LOVED this issue! Now THIS is a great team book Marvel! Good balance of male/female/diversity. Funny as all get out too.

Keep churning out issues like this and I'll keep buying.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Read the issue and enjoyed it. Dynamics between the team was fun and the handling of problem of the day was alright for right now. Hope this comes back.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Spectacular Member

How much do people here actually know about the "situation"?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Quick note: Kamala hasn't had a friend come out to her. Zoe came out to Josh. Kamala, in the most recent issue, noticed her staring at Nakia, and had no idea what was going on there.

Person. She's a person. A mechanical person, but a person just the same.
    Oh snap, you're right it was Josh. I thought that last issue read kind of weird. My bad.

As for viv, while I won't dismiss your opinion, I would agree that she is a person, I still think that machine v person aspect would be interesting to explore. When I played through mass effect I was staunchly in the "AI are not people camp" but the game managed to sway me and take a look at things from an alternate perspective and alter my view on things. And just because we think she's a person vs a machine doesn't mean we're the only ones who think so or even necessarily that we're right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, have you heard of Death of X/Inhumans vs X-men ?.
    I must have forgotten about the part in the holocaust when only two people died and then everybody else just talked about how to fix a problem.

CHAMPIONS #6
    MARK WAID (W) • HUMBERTO RAMOS (A/C)
    VENOMIZED VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEODATO
    • Versus their counterparts, the Freelancers! And you’ll be surprised to see who’s left standing at the end of the battle!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    ..Versus their who? Are the Freelancers an actual group or something?

"Freelancers?"

So if their the Champions' counterparts...a teen mercenary group? I wonder if any of their members are named characters?

Nothing comes up on the wiki. Freelancers is something completely new to Marvel.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Nothing comes up on the wiki. Freelancers is something completely new to Marvel.
    Apparently they're going to be introduced in Whitley's Champions.MU one-shot, according to Twitter. Although counterparts makes me laugh because I assume they're all probably going to be human so they're obviously no match for Viv.

So, no Young Masters of Evil? Or maybe the group just got reshuffled and renamed.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

http://comicbook.com/2016/12/29/excl...arvel-preview/

You know maybe this team shouldn't have a designated leader because they kind of all work together on their own especially Kamala and Cyclops.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.