Page 85 of 218 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 3266
    BANNED

I took Champions off my pull list months ago because I was looking to save some bucks and this seemed like it'd be an easy cut but yet I still end up picking up every new issue off the rack. It's just a charming book that I find impossible to walk away from. I particularly liked this issue and Red Locust looks like an endearing potential addition to the team. Looking forward to the SE tie ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    How about Red Locust forms a team with Anya, Cassie and Nadia the team will be called the Ladybugs.
    With a name like that, they should include Silver Surfer's sidekick Dawn Greenwood. She always wears red with black spots... in other words, she dresses like a ladybug!

LOL I'd love a Ladybugs book.
    I really liked Red Locust and I hope we see her again soon.
    I'm not crazy about too many new additions to the team, thought. The Secret Empire roster is kinda blah. I like Nadia, but I could do without Falcon or Patriot.
    Heck, there are so many legacy teams, they should probably send some of them to a new Avengers Academy book.

That, unfortunately, could cause brand confusion, as there's a mobile game called Avengers Academy (which I'm surprised hasn't been given a comic yet, not even a custom mini or one-shot like Avengers Alliance and Future Fight got).

But it would be a good idea to reopen the school. It probably closed down after Rage of Ultron, when headmaster Hank Pym was taken out. Tony Stark withdrew the Avengers funding shortly after.

Spectacular Member

I think they did a variant cover for the mobile game, but that's all.

I'm fairly sure Red Locust is going to be a new Champion after Secret Empire (so I guess into Legacy?) because the SE roster probably won't be permanent - maybe she'll be used to replace one of them - most likely Ironheart, given Bendis probably doesn't want Riri out of his control too much. Although if Nadia goes on Champions after SE, maybe it'll be too similar to have them both on at the same time?

September's solicits can't come soon enough. It should give us answers. I do think Patriot and Falcon could be long term though. They were created in the Captain America: Sam Wilson book, but that's merging with Steve's in August, and if Sam's lost his solo, his supporting cast will probably be sent away. Of course it's possible that Steve won't survive, but with that Legacy thing going on I can't see him getting killed off.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-09-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That, unfortunately, could cause brand confusion, as there's a mobile game called Avengers Academy (which I'm surprised hasn't been given a comic yet, not even a custom mini or one-shot like Avengers Alliance and Future Fight got).

But it would be a good idea to reopen the school. It probably closed down after Rage of Ultron, when headmaster Hank Pym was taken out. Tony Stark withdrew the Avengers funding shortly after.
    They could call it something else, like Avengers Legacy. Comic book companies are not the best at keeping brand integrity, thought. I doubt they'd worry too much about brand confusion. Just look at how much they diluted the Avengers brand with ancillary books that share some very minor connections to the larger Avengers brand.

Astonishing Member

September's solicits can't come soon enough. It should give us answers. I do think Patriot and Falcon could be long term though. They were created in the Captain America: Sam Wilson book, but that's merging with Steve's in August, and if Sam's lost his solo, his supporting cast will probably be sent away. Of course it's possible that Steve won't survive, but with that Legacy thing going on I can't see him getting killed off.
    Falcon/Joaquin, specifically, was teased in the first issue, so if anything, I would say that that would cement his status as a more permanent member of the team.

In addition to that, I agree that both Falcon and Patriot have the best chances of sticking around due to being new characters who may end up losing their "homes" in Sam's solo once it merges with Steve's. Granted, it might not be the case, but we'll see.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-10-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    They could call it something else, like Avengers Legacy. Comic book companies are not the best at keeping brand integrity, thought.
    Yeah. Marvel are currently publishing a Champions book that has nothing to do with the original team of that name, a Guardians of the Galaxy book that has nothing to do with the original Guardians of the Galaxy, filming a Netflix 'Defenders' team made up entirely of Heroes for Hire and exactly no 'Defenders,' etc. (as well as slapping adjectives like 'Uncanny,' associated with one franchise, onto books in another franchise, willy-nilly), so I think 'brand integrity' is right up there with 'tweeting the Upanishads in Hebrew' on Marvel's list of priorities.

The use of Uncanny is actually justified. Inhumans used it in the 70s - before X-Men did!

And Uncanny Avengers uses it as an indicator that the book stars X-Men as well - the team leader is an X-Man (originally Havok, now Rogue).
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Falcon/Joaquin, specifically, was teased in the first issue, so if anything, I would say that that would cement his status a more permanent member of the team.

In addition to that, I agree that both Falcon and Patriot have the best chances of sticking around due to being new characters who may end up losing their "homes" in Sam's solo once it merges with Steve's. Granted, it might not be the case, but we'll see.
    So were Ironheart and Wasp (along with Moon Girl, who is on Kamala's other team instead).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-10-2017 at 05:49 AM.

The use of Uncanny is actually justified. Inhumans used it in the 70s - before X-Men did!

And Uncanny Avengers uses it as an indicator that the book stars X-Men as well - the team leader is an X-Man (originally Havok, now Rogue).So were Ironheart and Wasp (along with Moon Girl, who is on Kamala's other team instead).
    There was precedence for that use, sure. But in terms of branding, it's a mess. Uncanny is way more associated to the X-men, which only made X-fans even more angry at the Inhumans.
    Marvel treated the whole thing in such a terrible way and spoiled the Inhumans brand so much that they're not even calling their Inhumans books by the name anymore. A total branding nightmare. Their best hope for regaining some interest is the TV show.

mrgudkat

I know this is an appreciation thread, but I bought the first eight issues hoping for it to get better. It just never did. The team, on paper, is excellent. I was really looking forward to Viv and Cho from their other comics. Unfortunately, the writing and just the entire narrative of this comic is dull. The Gwenpool issue had potential, but the conflict took a back burner, and when it was resolved, after pages of banter, it felt incredibly synthetic. Don't get me started on the trademark crap. Social justice is great when done right. I read some of Sam Wilson during the Civil War event and it handled it incredibly well. Why? Maybe it's because the plot and characters were well written, so the comic wouldn't have to rely on banter just to fill up thirty pages. It's probably the same reason I couldn't get into Nighthawk. I liked that it was gritty, almost like a Spawn/Batman combo, but the character was nothing like he was in Squadron Supreme. There were times it just seemed to rely too much on uninteresting dialogue, which even combined with the civil rights allegory, wasn't enough to save it. Can we ever have a universe where characters have the same, erm..., character no matter what book they appear in?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So Champions isn't included in September's Solicitations. Looks like the series has been cancelled.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

It's right here

CHAMPIONS #12
    MARK WAID (W) • HUMBERTO RAMOS (A/C)
    VENOMIZED ULTRON VARIANT COVER BY DAVID NAKAYAMA
    SECRET EMPIRE AFTERMATH!
    • The Champions team was born from a fracture inside the Avengers. Now the events of SECRET EMPIRE have divided the Champions — and which ones are still with the team may surprise you!
    32 PGS./RATED T+ …$3.99

Spectacular Member

I'm pretty sure Nadia's solo got cancelled though so guess who's definitely joining the team permanently when the Avengers go back to some form of a classic line up?