Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    What do you think brings the soldiers and the Themyscirans together for that fight? Did somebody lead a force back to Themyscira to try to take it over?
    That seems like the most likely scenario.

Either that or Steve Trevor wasn't the only guy to crash on the island. Somehow, a small force of enemy troops may have ended up there too.

That, or maybe Ares or someone brought them there for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Watch Batman the Animated series or Justice League. He can pretty much dodge bullets and effortlessly leap great distances. I know the animators may take great license in how they portray street level fighters like Batman, but his goes beyond this to the point that his leaps are indeed on the 'super' end.
    Seen plenty of both. Never saw him do anything close to that super-leap.

He doesn't dodge bullets. "Dodging bullets" means you literally get out of the way of bullets that are already heading toward you. Over in the Rumbles board, they refer to what Batman and similar characters do as "Aim dodging." He doesn't dodge bullets after they've been fired. He dodges the people holding the guns before they fire. He just sees to it that he isn't where the bullets are going to go.

And it still changes nothing. There's evidence that the Amazons are superpowered. There is no evidence that they are not. Until we see more footage that expands upon this topic, we're all just speculating here. The important thing is that the Amazons are taking on a force of gun-wielding professional soldiers with swords and arrows and they do not appear to be losing.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He doesn't dodge bullets. "Dodging bullets" means you literally get out of the way of bullets that are already heading toward you. Over in the Rumbles board, they refer to what Batman and similar characters do as "Aim dodging." He doesn't dodge bullets after they've been fired. He dodges the people holding the guns before they fire. He just sees to it that he isn't where the bullets are going to go.
    Well there was Under the Red Hood, where he dodged a bullet by moving after it was fired from behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceRoll View Post
    Well there was Under the Red Hood, where he dodged a bullet by moving after it was fired from behind him.
    Sure, if you want to look through all the myriad iterations of a character with a 75-year history, you're likely to find a way to justify giving them almost any ability.

What we're really discussing here is the DCEU versions of these characters, and so far Batman has done nothing truly superhuman without some kind of assistance. Meanwhile, Antiope executed an amazing backwards leap that no human in the DCEU has yet shown the ability to match.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

Where did you get the impression that the Amazons aren't superpowered? We saw Antiope execute a huge super leap and shoot two soldiers with her bow in midair. That was clearly a superhuman feat. No human athlete could ever pull that off.

And in that battle sequence, the Amazons were pretty clearly kicking modern soldier ass. I saw few if any signs that the Amazons were in any kind of trouble.
    I liked the leap, but a high level Olympic gymast can do just as much impressive feats, meaning behind human possibility (at least in comics..lol), and Batman can certainly do that as well...I mean he dodged Doomsday in Batman vs. Superman, even Darkseid's Omega Beams (which I think he should not be able to). Also, the amazons in the fight were in horses, if they were even quarter the strength and speed of Diana, they would not need them (and needlessly put them in danger against guns as I'm sure the horses are not superpowered) and the fight scenes did not look particularly look that they were any faster than the invaders (just more skilled). So as I was saying, if Batman can do it, and he's a "non-super powered" human being, and then I guess the amazons can as well, but in my opinion, Batman and amazon should be at a distinct disadvantage (especially if out in the open; Batman at least tries to work in the dark) in an open war against guns, especially its modern ones. But if their skills involve dodging guns (amazons), then I guess they are superpowered, and hence I can totally understand why all the invaders can easily be killed by them, and hence they are possibly super powered I guess in the end.
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 07-26-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    I liked the leap, but a high level Olympic gymast can do just as much impressive feats, meaning behind human possibility (at least in comics..lol), and Batman can certainly do that as well...I mean he dodged Doomsday in Batman vs. Superman, even Darkseid's Omega Beams (which I think he should not be able to). Also, the amazons in the fight were in horses, if they were even quarter the strength and speed of Diana, they would not need them (and needlessly put them in danger against guns as I'm sure the horses are not superpowered) and the fight scenes did not look particularly look that they were any faster than the invaders (just more skilled). So as I was saying, if Batman can do it, and he's a "non-super powered" human being, and then I guess the amazons can as well, but in my opinion, Batman and amazon should be at a distinct disadvantage (especially if out in the open; Batman at least tries to work in the dark) in an open war against guns, especially its modern ones. But if their skills involve dodging guns (amazons), then I guess they are superpowered, and hence I can totally understand why all the invaders can easily be killed by them, and hence they are possibly super powered I guess in the end.
    I have never seen an Olympian jump anything close to what Antiope did.

Batman never dodged Omega beams. He grabbed a Parademon and used it as a shield to intercept an Omega Beam. Big difference.

The Amazons may ride horses because they like horses. Just because they can run fast doesn't mean they need to do it all the time. And horses give an elevation advantage against infantry.

The fight scenes are not done. They also didn't CGI Diana's face onto the body of her stunt double on a couple shots. Plus, the battle was to fast and chaotic to make out any real details about how they were doing.

Bottom line is, the Amazons were kicking those soldier's asses. One of them demonstrated a truly superhuman capability. There's no reason to assume they're going to get crushed by a few dudes with guns.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    Its called a joke
    Indeed, and ideally that joke should be brushed off as a bit of harmless ribbing.

The problem is that men have zero leeway to make jokes at women's expense free of criticism. My criticism applies that standard consistently to show how the microscope of political correctness leads to a joyless world.

Quote Originally Posted by Alatheus View Post
    But it's not social commentary, it's a joke. Surely you get that.
    Jokes and social commentary are not mutually exclusive.

Of the various ways to tell a joke, the writer's choose to compare Steve and Etta's relationship to that of master and slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Plus yeah she could maybe quit. But then, given the time period, what other prospects does she have necessarily? Especially if she develops the reputation of being "difficult to work with" and all that. Remember this is the early 1900's that we're talking about. Standards were quite different back then.
    Steve is the butt of the joke, yet sympathy is given toward the character who was ribbing him, Etta.(Wondy is innocent, she doesn't know better.)

What other prospects does she have? If there aren't a lot of people willing to hire a female secretary at that time then Steve would stick out as one of the few who are, which should make Etta feel grateful to Steve for giving her that opportunity regardless of the possible cost. What if Steve gets fired for placing a man's responsibility on a woman? A man hiring a woman back then would've been just as damaging to his reputation as refusing to hire a woman is today.

Meanwhile Etta delights as comparisons are drawn between Steve and slave owners, I don't see Steve laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Meanwhile Etta delights as comparisons are drawn between Steve and slave owners, I don't see Steve laughing.
    He doesn't laugh, but he's obviously not offended or panicking in that scene. It looks like he knows he's being ribbed and is just playing along.

A good way to make the joke into harmless ribbing would be if they establish that Etta is like Steve's good right hand and he basically would be lost without her. Then, Etta's playing along with Diana's faux pas just looks like her teasing Steve like "Yeah, 'boss.' You're totally a slave driver." *Wink, wink.*

It's also possible that Etta really WAS just playing along with Diana because she recognized the naivete of her statement. "She thinks I'm a slave. That's adorable."

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

He doesn't laugh, but he's obviously not offended or panicking in that scene. It looks like he knows he's being ribbed and is just playing along.
    He looks somewhere between annoyed and uncomfortable and he clearly wanted to move away from the conversation as quickly as possible.

If he looks upset in any obvious or overt manner then he will look like a thin-skinned crybaby because women are perceived to be the true victims in society.

If he looks angry in any obvious or overt manner then he's the jerk and it won't matter that he's correct because women are perceived to be the true victims in society.

For a man in conflict with a woman, verbal or otherwise, there isn't a lot of wiggle room between "monstrous" and "pathetic".
    A good way to make the joke into harmless ribbing would be if they establish that Etta is like Steve's good right hand and he basically would be lost without her. Then, Etta's playing along with Diana's faux pas just looks like her teasing Steve like "Yeah, 'boss.' You're totally a slave driver." *Wink, wink.*

It's also possible that Etta really WAS just playing along with Diana because she recognized the naivete of her statement. "She thinks I'm a slave. That's adorable."
    Or he could've just calmly blasted them with truth bombs, "Is that why I give you all that money?" or "Weren't you the one who asked to work for me?".
    Last edited by Lax; 07-28-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Or he could've just calmly blasted them with truth bombs, "Is that why I give you all that money?" or "Weren't you the one who asked to work for me?".
    Yeah, but that would kinda kill the humor. If Etta's just playing along and Steve knows that, then it almost looks like they're having a laugh at Diana's expense instead of Steve's.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Indeed, and ideally that joke should be brushed off as a bit of harmless ribbing.

The problem is that men have zero leeway to make jokes at women's expense free of criticism. My criticism applies that standard consistently to show how the microscope of political correctness leads to a joyless world.

Jokes and social commentary are not mutually exclusive.

Of the various ways to tell a joke, the writer's choose to compare Steve and Etta's relationship to that of master and slave.

Steve is the butt of the joke, yet sympathy is given toward the character who was ribbing him, Etta.(Wondy is innocent, she doesn't know better.)

What other prospects does she have? If there aren't a lot of people willing to hire a female secretary at that time then Steve would stick out as one of the few who are, which should make Etta feel grateful to Steve for giving her that opportunity regardless of the possible cost. What if Steve gets fired for placing a man's responsibility on a woman? A man hiring a woman back then would've been just as damaging to his reputation as refusing to hire a woman is today.

OMGS is this discussion really happening? It was FUNNY. It was also appropriate humor, given the characters and the time period. They aren't making this joke in 2016.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Mighty Member

LOL these are false equivalences. secondly, media will make jokes about women on tv all the time and have for decades. while as of late there has been more of a point to not make those type of jokes its still very prevalent and these types of jokes are born out of that type of sexism and in this case antiquated sexism. I dont know about you but living in a world where bigots have to second guess the actual harmful things they say sounds like a much more joyful world to me.

Amazing Member

I really love the trailer. The colors are glorious and the cast ( Gal Gadot is a revelation ) seems perfect. Everything seemed perfect, even the lasso, but...

Am I the only one really concerned with the action sequences and the effects? Gal Gadot's stunt double sometimes appears mannish and at times you can even see her (stunt double's) face. At times the action sequences don't make sense. Why is someone who appears to be able to take down a tank spending so much energy taking down half a dozen men?

Why so much shield? I understand her use of the shield in BvS. Her bracelets also handled Doomsday's heat vision quite nicely and why not have an additional shield to handle wide area attacks. But in close quarters it does not make sense... specially against men armed with guns. The iconic bracelets would have been more appropriate and way more badass.

I hope all of this stuff gets cleaned up by release time. I know its a year away but it makes me nervous. Personally I would not preview any "unfinished" scenes to anyone. What worries me is that the director might have actually thought the scenes we saw were finished enough to show. Quite a gamble... it paid off... but quite a gamble.

I was under the assumption Gal did a lot of her own stunts.
    Except for highly dangerous stunts like jumping from a high position
    I thought Gal just moved through an empty stage and all the special effects
    were added after.

BANNED

I will absolutely enjoy the film, suspend my disbelief (just like I do in 99 % of films), and hope for a sequel, while people complain about the color of her eyes, how important it is for her to fly, and how crucial it is that a supporting player in the film does not enjoy a little joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMARVELgeek View Post
    It is true.
    I will absolutely enjoy the film, suspend my disbelief (just like I do in 99 % of films), and hope for a sequel, while people complain about the color of her eyes, how important it is for her to fly, and how crucial it is that a supporting player in the film does not enjoy a little joke.
    This! A hundred times, THIS! I cannot believe the things we as FANS OF THE CHARACTER get worked up about! This movie looks INCREDIBLE, and I, for one, will be buying 2 tickets so I can watch it back to back. And that's HUGE, as I rarely see movies in the theater and have never gone to see the same movie TWICE in a theater.