Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Love all of those, though Grace can be kinda snarky, which she showed in her later review/breakdown of the trailer. From what I've seen of her, however, this video is definitely more positive than she usually puts out there.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Love all of those, though Grace can be kinda snarky, which she showed in her later review/breakdown of the trailer. From what I've seen of her, however, this video is definitely more positive than she usually puts out there.
    I generally find her reviews quite positive, honestly. She's definitely a big DC fangirl, and she's really hopeful for Diana's movie. She doesn't hesitate to voice some concerns, of course, but that's kinda part of her job. And some of her concerns are pretty valid.

She can be snarky, but a lot of her snark seems more humorous than mean. Like when she likens the opening scene of the trailer to The Little Mermaid. Honestly? It DOES look awfully similar to the scene from The Little Mermaid, so it's not exactly an unfair comparison. And it's not like it's a bad thing if Patty Jenkins wants to toss in an homage or two.

No, my biggest gripe with Grace is that she explicitly states that she doesn't like the clay origin for Diana.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Grace is a reviewer I always feel is going to give her opinion whether positive or negative and will call it as she sees it regardless of what anyone else thinks or what other reviewers say.

I can watch Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns all day and love watching them both, but if you watch a Jeremy Jahns video and then when its followed an hour or so later a Chris Stuckmann video some of the similarities Chris will say about the same movie Jeremy just reviewed are at times almost copy and paste.

Grace to me, gives me a much different flavor I appreciate.

There's tons of stuff I don't agree with her on, but there's stuff I do as well, and I like having it that way. OF course when she 100% agrees with something that I feel the same way about I'm happy lol but I love that she's very different and diverse in her opinions and they all seem genuine, whether I agree with them or not, and I like that a lot tbh.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Grace is a reviewer I always feel is going to give her opinion whether positive or negative and will call it as she sees it regardless of what anyone else thinks or what other reviewers say.

I can watch Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns all day and love watching them both, but if you watch a Jeremy Jahns video and then when its followed an hour or so later a Chris Stuckmann video some of the similarities Chris will say about the same movie Jeremy just reviewed are at times almost copy and paste.

Grace to me, gives me a much different flavor I appreciate.

There's tons of stuff I don't agree with her on, but there's stuff I do as well, and I like having it that way. OF course when she 100% agrees with something that I feel the same way about I'm happy lol but I love that she's very different and diverse in her opinions and they all seem genuine, whether I agree with them or not, and I like that a lot tbh.
    I agree.

She's definitely not a trend-follower, which is one reason why I trust her judgment so much. She liked the BvS Theatrical Cut. She actually says she liked it MORE than the Extended Cut. She's literally the only person I've ever seen claim that the Extended Cut wasn't a huge improvement to the movie. She's also just about the only reviewer I've seen who spoke highly of the Ben-Hur remake. That's definitely not a popular opinion to have, but she actively encouraged people to put aside their preconceptions and go give it a chance.

So yeah. I don't always agree with her, but I really feel like you can trust her opinions, even if you don't always agree with them.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I agree.

She's definitely not a trend-follower, which is one reason why I trust her judgment so much. She liked the BvS Theatrical Cut. She actually says she liked it MORE than the Extended Cut. She's literally the only person I've ever seen claim that the Extended Cut wasn't a huge improvement to the movie. She's also just about the only reviewer I've seen who spoke highly of the Ben-Hur remake. That's definitely not a popular opinion to have, but she actively encouraged people to put aside their preconceptions and go give it a chance.

So yeah. I don't always agree with her, but I really feel like you can trust her opinions, even if you don't always agree with them.

Pretty much, they come from a genuine place And I want a reviewer that is honest and insightful as to why they do or don't like something. I can agree or disagree. Even if she hates a movie I want to see, I'll still go see it and even love it perhaps, but the stuff in it she sees I could go "yeah, I can see why she'd say that" even if I disagree. It feels much more productive to have a reviewer like that as opposed to one that follows a linear path.

She usually gets it right with how 'hollywood' perceives things as the monster it can be from time to time. She's someone I watch a lot especially if I want an actual 'insider' feel, cause she's usually on the money when she predicts why or why not a movie may succeed or not in terms of people actually going to see it.

So it just hit me that we're getting Wonder Woman as a main character in two movies next year!!! Her solo film and the Justice League movie! That's huge and I think the only other characters to appear in two films in one year are Batman (BVS, SS) and Iron-Man (IM, TIH) and their second appearance was a cameo unlike Diana.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    So it just hit me that we're getting Wonder Woman as a main character in two movies next year!!! Her solo film and the Justice League movie! That's huge and I think the only other characters to appear in two films in one year are Batman (BVS, SS) and Iron-Man (IM, TIH) and their second appearance was a cameo unlike Diana.
    I am already counting the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I generally find her reviews quite positive, honestly. She's definitely a big DC fangirl, and she's really hopeful for Diana's movie. She doesn't hesitate to voice some concerns, of course, but that's kinda part of her job. And some of her concerns are pretty valid.

She can be snarky, but a lot of her snark seems more humorous than mean. Like when she likens the opening scene of the trailer to The Little Mermaid. Honestly? It DOES look awfully similar to the scene from The Little Mermaid, so it's not exactly an unfair comparison. And it's not like it's a bad thing if Patty Jenkins wants to toss in an homage or two.

No, my biggest gripe with Grace is that she explicitly states that she doesn't like the clay origin for Diana.
    Upon a 2nd viewing of her trailer review I think it is her opinion about the clay origin that rubbed me wrong. I totally agreed with almost everything else she said, but my EXTREMELY negative opinion about the Zeus origin is maybe why she came accross as snarky. Everything else was great! I just don't see what's so terrible about Diana's original, unique, and love-filled origin that's so terrible. I don't get how anyone could prefer the generic Hercules origin, but hey, takes all kinds to make the world go 'round!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    How did a topic about the AMAZING, WONDERFUL Wonder Woman trailer devolve into an argument about what constitutes a feminist icon???

Back to the SUBJECT OF THE THREAD; Anyone else watching reactions to the trailer? The majority are very positive and I noticed that the majority of negative reviews are from people who admit to not liking DC.
    I guess sometimes people just feel inspired to have an old-fashioned debate.

Lois Lane is already an established feminist icon... for some people. and, of course, some people have different working definitions and expectations.

now, some people might see Lois needing to get rescued by Superman as a bad thing... and I don't really see that as a big deal.

for all of their tendencies to get in over their heads Lois and Steve are still basically heroic characters who take action to help other people whenever they can. the fact that they don't have super-powers and need to get saved doesn't make them bad characters. it also provided some dramatic tension-- because there was always that remote chance that they might not be able to rescue them in time. I don't think less of Steve or Lois for getting saved all the time. sometimes they even manage to get themselves out of trouble all by themselves.

there's more than one way for a character to become a 'feminist icon'. not every character has to be a full-blown power fantasy that takes wish-fulfillment to the extreme and spits in the face patriarchy. (although Lane has been spitting in the face patriarchy for over fifty years now)

making Lane a tough, respected, go-getter journalist who never backed down in the face of adversity in her pursuit of the truth (not unlike Nellie Bly, who was one of her sources of inspiration) sounds like a perfectly viable feminist icon to me.

for some folks, the fact that Lane regularly threatens the villains enough where they feel need to eliminate her shows that she has agency, intelligence, and a degree of power (to reveal the truth).

and, unlike Wonder Woman, Lois Lane is an idealized character that is within the realm of real-world possibility. nobody could ever become Wonder Woman-- but it IS possible to become like Lois Lane. sometimes, people want a feminist ideal that people could at least partially attain in the real world.

even so, there's no need to try and force people to agree. there are a lot of different practical definitions for feminism. for some people, Lane will simply never be good enough because she gets saved by Superman so often. that's fine... they can think what they want.

it reminds me that a lot of people that hate Lois, Robin, and Steve Trevor... because they feel like they somehow diminish the awesomeness that is Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. personally, I think that they're all great characters in their own right-- and their existence helps reinforce how great those main characters they support really are. (I'm also happy that Etta Candy is in this movie)

back on topic. I've lurked on a few WW1 history forums and the chatter on the film I've seen has been universally optimistic.

I'm still iffy on her. She never sold me in BvS or this trailer. She honestly has like no stage presence as an actress imo. But given how they're treating her as more or less a warrior now more or less I'm just here for the action scenes. Plus a little bit of Chris Pine..

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    Great is in the eye of the beholder. Lois Lane is not great in my eyes, nor is she a "feminist icon" (that is the cosmic joke of the year) - she is the premier damsel in distress -- all other damsels in distress (at least in comic books) were created or molded after her.

Wonder Woman is a feminist icon; Power Girl is a feminist icon; Cat Woman is a feminist icon. MISS PIGGY is a feminist icon; not Lois Lane. And I stand firmly when I say that she was a pain in the butt in BvS.

If they had spent more time on the heroes, then Batman would have been the one, the great detective, to uncover Lex's plot. This was not Nancy Drew after all, and this was not superman's sequel entirely; the other characters should have been given a chance to shine.

Hell, even Amanda Waller from Suicide Squad would be more a feminist icon than the ever so hopeless and insipid character of Lois Lane. Just my opinion.

You adore Lois Lane; I am happy for you. Me? I can do without all the corny "romance" scenes.

That should be set for a different genre.

I completely agree. Amanda Waller neither swings a sword nor possess' super strength, but she is the most kick ass character without any special powers in the DCEU at the moment. And I am counting both males and females in that statement. She is a woman, she is a minority, she is independent, she is formidable and she lives in a world not just made for men who look like Superman, but with creatures as powerful and even more powerful than he is, and she can hold her own. If shes about to die, she ain't calling nobody for help, and she ain't waiting for no Superman to catch her in mid air.

You and I have different perceptions of feminist icons, obviously.
    Is Supergirl a potted plant?

A reminder.

This isn't the thread about feminist icons.

This is the thread about the WW trailer.

Please take more general discussions about the DC Universe and who is/is not a feminist icon to the appropriate forum/thread.

Thank you.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!