Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #5 Spoilers and Discussion

I won't be getting issue 5 until around 5pm tonight, but I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of the issue, any reveals, and how the Lies storyline is playing out with the even numbered issues.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was the most solid chapter of the "present time" story. Nicely executed from most angles (Some of the themes are a bit too blunt and Cheetah's dialogue is still annoying though).

Fantastic but kinda inconsistent art from Sharp. In some scenes it looked strangely different from his usual stuff.

Loved it.

Definitely think the "Doctor" is Doctor Cyber, which makes me so happy. Steve being "woke" was a highlight of the issue, as was seeing pre-Cheetah Barb.

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

The present-day story continues to be less interesting to me than the origin issues, but this was another solid installment, and we're getting deeper into the plot. Urzkartaga trying to manifest himself and conquer the world is one of those stories I'd always been surprised no writer had gone for yet -- perhaps emblematic of how underexplored many aspects of the mythos are.

The dialogue between Steve and Cadulo about toxic masculinity was a bit on-the-nose. I liked that Diana is apparently on a first-name basis with the rest of Steve's team, and vice versa.

The "Doctor" controlled Sasha Bordeaux is Doctor Cyber, I imagine, given the technology, though there are several semi-prominent WW villains with that appellation, so I guess you can never be sure.

I also think this is the most satisfying of the "Lies" issues so far. We find out what the dastardly villain's evil plans are. Things get complicated when someone Etta thinks is an ally (Sasha Bordeaux is a new face for this reader) turns out to be in thrall to a mysterious "Doctor". Cyber would be great! Wasn't expecting another WW rogue so soon.

Art wise--I love that first panel on page one of the car with the headlights at night. The coloring was so...evocative. It immediately set the mood for the scene---like a masterful establishing shot in a movie. The art is generally very strong throughout, but that splash panel of Diana and Cheetah taking out the minions was lacking energy.

Rucka's characterization of Steve gets more and more vivid.

My favorite part of the issue is Etta's dialogue re Trevor and Diana: "It doesn't work like that with them...they're bound to each other--call it fate or destiny...when one of them is in need the other one will always be there." That's all you need to know, future WW writers.
    Last edited by Largo161; 08-24-2016 at 12:37 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I really enjoyed this, though it didn't have quite the punch of the last one where Diana showed such compassion for Barbara. Steve was awesome, and I'm a huge Sasha fan, so that was cool (though man, can she get a break from being part of some cyborg villain plots sometime? . I do wish Rucka had been a bit less obvious about the "toxic masculinity" thing - it's a bit too buzzwordy - I feel even if he'd just said "poisonous" it would have felt less "oooh, I'm so hip and with the current discourse" and more "this is a universal human problem" (which it is). But I agreed with the point (as far as I understand it), and really enjoyed Diana showing up at the end.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Nice to hear another villain is introduced and that Rucka is piling them on within transitions in stories. Ideally, I'd finally like to read a Wonder Woman title where the villains work in symphony and in interesting combinations in her world to really expand it.

I'd like see what happens when Doctor Psycho and Doctor Cyber or Giganta and Doctor Poison come into conflict as well as with Diana and Steve.

It was great to see Sasha in the DCU again for this issue, and working with Steve and Etta, though I shouldn't be surprised to see Rucka include her given his extensive work with the character in Batman and Checmate. She's certainly a welcome and fitting addition to the book's supporting cast (though I wonder if she's met Bruce Wayne in this continuity?), even if it looks like she's being manipulated by a possibly revamped Doctor Cyber.

I really like how Rucka is characterizing Steve and his relationship with Diana. I can't wait to finally see them together in the present .

So it looks like Barbara's first meeting with Diana will happen in the next issue, given it seems like it will cover Diana's teased arrest and it appears they first met while Diana was behind bars. Then that will lead into the interlude in #8 as Barbara seeks out the secrets of The Amazons, likely after talking with Diana.

Who knew Wonder Woman ending up in the slammer after arriving in Man's World would prove to be such a pivotal moment for both her and her supporting cast ?

I wonder of "The Lies" is that the Themyscira Diana has been coming back to after she left has been the New 52 Themyscira, while the real one as presented in Year One has been hidden from her? Though you'd think Diana would've noticed things being so different and her mother getting a dye job...

I loved that moment where Diana met Steve's team and they all knew each other, especially with her big smile. It's the first time she's looked so happy outside Year One art .
    Last edited by Frontier; 08-24-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yep, it's totally Dr. Cyber. And maybe she isn't alone? Godwatch could be a catchall organization for many Wondy rogues and give them a common agenda and a tie to mythology that is a bit fresher than other takes. Dr. Poison, Chang Tzu and maybe even Paula von Gunther or Draska Nishki could be present as well.

Steve's dialogue about toxic masculinity was on the nose, but I still like the fact that he was the one to deliver it. He's much more mature than the Silver Age version or even Soule's unfortunate take on him in SM/WW.

I can't wait to see pre-Cheetah Barbara Minerva in Year One Part 3. Urzkartaga also reminds me a bit of the First Born here with his hyena men and multiple wives. He is a much more intimidating presence here than he ever was in the Perez era. I hope Barbara is successfully able to kill him, but also keep the Cheetah power for herself for her own morally ambiguous ends.

The word "Deception" or variations of it have been used a lot in this run so far. Is the Duke behind the Themyscira Diana has visited in recent years? Is he Jason? And has Diana not seen her actual mother since she left Themyscira at the end of issue 4?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And has Diana not seen her actual mother since she left Themyscira at the end of issue 4?
    Cheetah says, "and yet you've returned home many times." So it seems she has returned, but only if the gods allow it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Cheetah says, "and yet you've returned home many times." So it seems she has returned, but only if the gods allow it.
    She's been returning to a Themyscira, but at this point it's possible none of it was real. A fake Hippolyta to go along with an illusion of an island. Diana herself says she doesn't even know for sure anymore.

And then we have the solicit for #11, which says that she's finally returned to Themyscira and something is very off with it. Year One may be setting up the true home that she hasn't seen in ten years, while the memories she gained in the interim are "The Lies."

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

I loved the issue!
    I was most intrigued by the panels from pre-Flashpoint that they showed while she was discussing the deception. Two of them were definitely part of Gail's run and I couldn't place the one of many times she was blown back from an explosion and then the George Perez Ares. I am curious to see what exactly the lies are, are the lies what we are seeing in Year One? Or is it the other changes to her origin?

I'm really enjoying how Rucka is entrenching the supporting cast as well as giving us great insight to Diana.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yep, it's totally Dr. Cyber. And maybe she isn't alone? Godwatch could be a catchall organization for many Wondy rogues and give them a common agenda and a tie to mythology that is a bit fresher than other takes. Dr. Poison, Chang Tzu and maybe even Paula von Gunther or Draska Nishki could be present as well.

Steve's dialogue about toxic masculinity was on the nose, but I still like the fact that he was the one to deliver it. He's much more mature than the Silver Age version or even Soule's unfortunate take on him in SM/WW.

I can't wait to see pre-Cheetah Barbara Minerva in Year One Part 3. Urzkartaga also reminds me a bit of the First Born here with his hyena men and multiple wives. He is a much more intimidating presence here than he ever was in the Perez era. I hope Barbara is successfully able to kill him, but also keep the Cheetah power for herself for her own morally ambiguous ends.

The word "Deception" or variations of it have been used a lot in this run so far. Is the Duke behind the Themyscira Diana has visited in recent years? Is he Jason? And has Diana not seen her actual mother since she left Themyscira at the end of issue 4?

You echo my thoughts to a "T". I'm hoping that Godwatch is a modern take on Villainy Inc. with Dr. Cyber, Dr. Poison, Dr. Psycho, Giganta, Queen Clea, and a few other Wonder-rogues for good measure.

This story keeps getting more and more intriguing. I never thought I would enjoy a Wonder Woman story by Rucka so much. He's really upped his game on the Cheetah this time around considering how his previous Cheetah story from about 10 years ago was kind of blah.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The Good:

- Finally starting to feel like a story that is slowly going somewhere as well as something that could amount to a decent foundation after "Rebirth".

- It's nice that they are tying the "Woman Who Is Being Controlled" theme to quite a few of the female characters.

- Cheetah being fleshed out as a character is a worthwhile use of page time.

The Bad:

- Sasha just being a puppet in someone's plan. Don't care for that one bit.

- The whole "Jungle God"/Steve Trevor end of the story line is just not doing much for me.

- "The Lies" is feeling more and more like that reveal will be a let down.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    I loved the issue!
    I was most intrigued by the panels from pre-Flashpoint that they showed while she was discussing the deception. Two of them were definitely part of Gail's run and I couldn't place the one of many times she was blown back from an explosion and then the George Perez Ares. I am curious to see what exactly the lies are, are the lies what we are seeing in Year One? Or is it the other changes to her origin?

I'm really enjoying how Rucka is entrenching the supporting cast as well as giving us great insight to Diana.
    I think the one with her being blown back from the explosion is connected to the one with the Perez Ares. When she confronts him in Vol. 2 #6, she is hit by a bolt of energy, before she can get the lasso around him so he can learn the error of his ways trying to destroy the planet through Nuclear War. (if I'm remembering the panel correctly.)
    Richard Alexander