Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Much more interested in the quality of the show than what the ship looks like.

Who is the cast of this TV show?

Wesley Snipes should be brought in as a new captain; either in this series or the movie universe.

I'll give this show a shot (I already subscribe to CBS All-Access for Colbert), but dear God that is the worst ship design I have ever seen. There is literally nothing about it that I like. Heck, if this is supposed to be between Enterprise and TOS, why not use the upgraded NX design that they would have used for Season 5 of Enterprise? Put on that secondary hull, maybe make a few more tweaks, and BOOM! Awesome ship design. This think looks like the discarded idea for the Enterprise upgrade in Star Trek: Phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi82 View Post
    This interview clarifies a few things. The ship we're seeing in the trailer isn't the final design. It was just a tease for SDCC. So expect something a bit different in the series

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/excl...-shows-themes/
    *Whew* Reading that article, it kind of shows the double-edged blade of ComicCon, doesn't it? On one hand you want something to show to the people to get them hyped, but on the other hand if you rush something and it comes out looking bad, it can turn people away in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by 100010959493281 View Post
    I like it.

I like the name "Star Trek: Discovery." I like the ship. And just going by the teaser, it looks worthy of my $5.99 a month. So far, so good. Now hopefully IDW will also do a STAR TREK: DISCOVERY comic.
    Until you realise the show will henceforth be known as STD... yeah, great name indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi82 View Post
    This interview clarifies a few things. The ship we're seeing in the trailer isn't the final design. It was just a tease for SDCC. So expect something a bit different in the series

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/excl...-shows-themes/
    Final or not, unless they do a complete 180 on the ship's design (and the whole concept of it), their intention of adopting McQuarrie's designs was clear. Any subsequent tweaking won't detract from the ship looking any less shitty than what's been revealed anyway.

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asdamine View Post
    Until you realise the show will henceforth be known as STD... yeah, great name indeed.
    Yeah, that kind of stuff means absolutely nothing to me. I never call these kind of things by their acronym, I call it by their name. So, y'known, it's like, so what... ?

Also, I'm a little surprised at the reaction to the ship design by a lot of people (even though I suppose it may not be the final design?). I guess that's because I've always loved the Ralph McQuarrie concept art.

And I guess my favorite Star Trek episode was "The Cage." So I've always enjoyed Star Trek that was a little "different" than the norm.

In all, I'm still super excited for this.

And I like this part from the trekmovie.com interview:
    TM: Star Trek hasn’t been on television for over a decade and what was talked a lot about in the junket and in Hall H is the effect Star Trek has on people, and breaking boundaries, and pushing social boundaries. How in 2017 do you think Star Trek: Discovery can succeed in carrying on Star Trek’s vision?

Kadin:
    I think, sadly, still if you look at most television today, it’s pretty caucasian, and I’m fortunate enough to produce a show called Sleepy Hollow and in our first season there were more African-Americans in our cast than there were caucasians, and a lot of people talked about that. I think, at the time, it was called groundbreaking, which is sort of sad because it really reflected our country and so, on one hand, I think Gene Roddenberry’s original vision reflected what the world looked like more than what a lot of television does today. So hopefully our show can remind people that it should be that way and, hopefully in the future, we can all be together.
    Yeah, I'm super excited for this. (Maybe we can even get another Benjamin Sisko when all is said and done!!!)

Boisterously Confused

I'm going to give this a shot regardless of how I feel about the ship. I'm curious if the studio was betting on hard-core geek nostalgia to sell the design for them.

Discovery is a cool name. I'll admit that I'd hoped for a show aboard Enterprise set between TOS and TMP, but this'll work too.

You know, it took me a minute to decide what else this ship reminded me of: 1970's era Legion of Superheroes Legion cruiser:

images.jpg
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-25-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    NCC-1031. Definitely looking at a post-TOS but pre-TNG era for the show.
    Actually, that would be PRE-TOS. Registry numbers went into the 1700s in 2245 with the Constitution class entering service. They would know this if they have a competent Treknologist looking over this project, which they probably don't.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Much more interested in the quality of the show than what the ship looks like.
    What the ship looks like is part of the "quality of the show". Would Star Wars be as well-received by a contemporary audience if the FX looked like this:

49410bae489e7c10b055df2517d568f8.jpg

The Legion Cruiser actually kind of reminds me of another Star Trek ship, the Klingon D7: Klingon_D-7_class.jpg

If that's a Cockrum image I'm not surprised, he seemed to be a big Trekkie and would use a lot of Trek easter eggs in his work.

Funny thing about the D7 and it's more detailed later version, the K'Tinga, it appears in all the spinoffs including Enterprise, which means the Klingons used practically the same exact design for over 200 years (Despite newer models showing up like the Bird Of Prey and the big TNG and DS9 cruisers). Maybe it'll appear in the new show too!

Quote Originally Posted by Asdamine View Post
    Except we'll just call it "Discovery" like Voyager. Nobody calls Voyager STV. We use the acronyms when it's a long title that doesn't truncate to one word well. It is kind of funny, though.

(It's ST:V when written, anyway. ST: D the happy Trek.)

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It'll likely end up as DIS, since most ST titles use the tagline - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It'll likely end up as DIS, since most ST titles use the tagline - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT.
    Yup, DIS will probably be the thing it's most likely called, although some may have to clarify that it's ST Discovery and not Discovery Channel, which is also called Discovery. What's going to be interesting to me is the crew for this. Honestly I wouldn't mind it if it's after Voyager because it could cover what's going on with the whole, blow up of Romunan and how things are now in regard to the Vulcan's and Spock being missing (or in this case dead) and if they went out looking for him.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    That's an ugly ship.

Looks like a Federation Bird of Prey.
    It looks cheap to me. It is like they couldn't take the time to come up with a decent looking ship.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Yup, DIS will probably be the thing it's most likely called, although some may have to clarify that it's ST Discovery and not Discovery Channel, which is also called Discovery. What's going to be interesting to me is the crew for this. Honestly I wouldn't mind it if it's after Voyager because it could cover what's going on with the whole, blow up of Romunan and how things are now in regard to the Vulcan's and Spock being missing (or in this case dead) and if they went out looking for him.
    The Pilot had better be awesome, because DIS is another punchline just waiting to happen...