Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Finally found an upload that is viewable here.

First impression is not very positive. As mentioned above that delta connection between the warp nacelles is unconventional. If this really takes place during the TOS era, then maybe this is a secret (treaty violating) Starfleet Intelligence design of a Bird of Prey with cloaking technology. But then again it would conflict with the TNG story arc about that Starfleet ship, forgot that ship's name.
    Last edited by newy; 07-23-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think the big clue will be the uniforms for time period. If they're in the red suits with white frills of the TOS movie era then we'll know for sure. But I think the risk of setting it post Voyager means likely stepping on a lot of toes regarding what the books established in the era afterwards, unless CBS are planning a Star Wars Disney reboot thing there.

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

I like it.

I like the name "Star Trek: Discovery." I like the ship. And just going by the teaser, it looks worthy of my $5.99 a month. So far, so good. Now hopefully IDW will also do a STAR TREK: DISCOVERY comic.

Extraordinary Member

That is with out a doubt the Ugliest ship I have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think the big clue will be the uniforms for time period. If they're in the red suits with white frills of the TOS movie era then we'll know for sure. But I think the risk of setting it post Voyager means likely stepping on a lot of toes regarding what the books established in the era afterwards, unless CBS are planning a Star Wars Disney reboot thing there.
    Unlike the Star Wars franchise, Star Trek has always been very clear that canon is only defined by movies and television shows. They have always been pretty explicit that they reserve the right to ignore anything in any other medium or format.

Incredible Member

I didn't think it was possible, but CBS has managed to design a fugly piece of crap that makes the JJprise look good by comparison.

I'm unbelievably happy to see Star Trek coming back to TV... but sweet, dark gods! Let that ship get blown up in the first episode! It's horrendous. Was this ugly 40 year old Phase 2 design the best the design team could work with, right down to the asteroid spacedock?

Give me an Excelsior or an Ambassador! Doctor Who fans bitch about the new Doctor. Trekkies bitch about the new ship. I love my fellow Trekkies.

NCC-1031. Definitely looking at a post-TOS but pre-TNG era for the show.
    Last edited by nx01a; 07-24-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Anyone know where we can watch this in the UK?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Anyone know where we can watch this in the UK?
    It'll be on Netflix UK shortly after the US, I believe. They also have all of TV Star Trek - TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT - on there now if you wanna do some catch up.

All-New Member

Yugh, it's the unused Ralph McQuarrie design from the 70s.

BANNED

Wait, this is on some stupid paid CBS service? That's really stupid, this should just be on CBS, where it's free; or on their other paid service, Showtime.

Netflix has the international rights (as they've had a long standing deal with CBS, and carry all the previous Trek shows and ocassionally the movies).

The Mcquarrie ship choice is interesting. Some think it inspired the Enterprise-D's shape. As it is, it kind of looks a bit like a wider Star Destroyer with a saucer and nacelles instead of a bridge tower. It's funny, because The Force Awakens also used some Ralph work (The X-wings in particular have the split engine look from Ralph's early designs, as does some features of Jakku and the Starkiller). The design of Zev in Rebels is also based on an early Chewbacca sketch.

Not that this is uncommon-certain elements from early concept art are often used in later projects. Star Wars is a good example of this, as stuff like Cloud City and the flying whales were designed for earlier films but added on later. Star Trek I think has also dabbled in this from time to time. Funny thing is, this ship class is technically already canonical, as the design makes two blink and you'll miss them cameos in Star Trek III and in the wreckage from Best of Both Worlds and later Unification. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...f359-other.htm

BTW CBS/Paramount have always been a bit lazy with promos for Star Trek it seems. If you look at a good chunk of the movie trailers, they often use shots from other films to cover that the FX aren't ready yet-Star Trek V used a bunch of shots from III and V (Which were better than the film's actual effects!) and Generations has, for some reason, footage of Kelsey Grammer's ship from the episode the Enterprise got stuck in a time loop. The promo for Enterprise likewise showed Archer and Trip looking at the refit Enterprise in footage from Search For Spock!

I'm wondering when we'll get some cast news, or behind the scenes footage?
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-24-2016 at 06:25 AM.

All-New Member

Looks like crap next to Prelude to Axanar. CBS won't get a cent from me unless and until they free up the Axanar crew to finish what they started.

Axanar for life!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by myxlplyx View Post
    Looks like crap next to Prelude to Axanar. CBS won't get a cent from me unless and until they free up the Axanar crew to finish what they started.

Axanar for life!
    Did you make Prelude to Axanar?

All-New Member

This interview clarifies a few things. The ship we're seeing in the trailer isn't the final design. It was just a tease for SDCC. So expect something a bit different in the series

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/excl...-shows-themes/