Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBurrito View Post
    Let me begin by stating it's been a long time since i purchased any graphic novel of any sort, over 20 years. Although my interest faded, I always had an appreciation and respect for the art. Now to my problem. With all the Batman movies out, my 15 year old daughter has expressed an interest in reading a a novel herself. The question is, What Batman one shot story line should be her first introduction to this medium. Thank in advance to all who reply.
    Take your pick from Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Zero Year, Hush or The Killing Joke. These are not only much loved classics they are great entry points into the lore itself and all are self contained. Any bookstore that stocks comics should have these, wander in and flip through the pages, there's no reading order. Year One and DKR are most influential to the films and wider world of Batman comics; Hush features the widest cast of villains and allies; Zero Year the most modern and perhaps most appealing to a kid today (also featuring new origins of Batman and the Joker and very much inspired by the new films and games).

If there are particular characters she's interested come back and let us know

All-New Member

Thanks for the info and fast reply. She also seems to lean towards catwoman from the video games. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Catwoman appears heavily in Year One And Hush from above.

Her series was from mid 2000's onwards was a high point for the character and I think could be perfect for a teen girl - it's written quite distinctly from Selina's perspective and not at all your typical male power fantasy hero comic. Check out Vol.1 Trail of the Catwoman or midway from one of the most popular sections, Vol.3 Relentless.

Avoid anything Catwoman from The New 52, it's demeaning and generally just the worst.

There's also Ego and Other Tails which collects two stores: one is a pretty great and self contained journey into Bruce Wayne's mind that looks back across his career and a good amount a lore: the other is probably the best Selina Kyle story written, a very pulp noir heist story that goes back to her origins. Highly recommended. In fact I'd narrow your picks to Year One, Zero Year and Ego!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Catwoman appears heavily in Year One And Hush from above.

Her series was from mid 2000's onwards was a high point for the character and I think could be perfect for a teen girl - it's written quite distinctly from Selina's perspective and not at all your typical male power fantasy hero comic. Check out Vol.1 Trail of the Catwoman or midway from one of the most popular sections, Vol.3 Relentless.

Avoid anything Catwoman from The New 52, it's demeaning and generally just the worst.

There's also Ego and Other Tails which collects two stores: one is a pretty great and self contained journey into Bruce Wayne's mind that looks back across his career and a good amount a lore: the other is probably the best Selina Kyle story written, a very pulp noir heist story that goes back to her origins. Highly recommended. In fact I'd narrow your picks to Year One, Zero Year and Ego!
    Thank you so much for the time and knowledge you have given me. I think I will be able to take her to her first comic book store today to see if they have these in stock. I'm looking forward to sharing this new experience with her. Again, i can't thank you enough.

I would just like to thank everyone that offered suggestions on this thread. I am trying to get back into comic books and this has been very helpful. I think I am going to start with "Year One" and go from there.