Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Writers who the management should have removed

Name some examples.

The criteria: The guy was just not working out on the title, and everyone except DC's management seemed to know it. But for some reason they let him write it so long that he did real damage to it.

Invincible Member

Well, what are we really talking about here? I mean, I can name writers that I personally feel were a poor fit for the titles they were on, but if they were on it more than an arc or two it's cause they were probably meeting sales expectations hence, there'd be no problem in management's eyes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, what are we really talking about here? I mean, I can name writers that I personally feel were a poor fit for the titles they were on, but if they were on it more than an arc or two it's cause they were probably meeting sales expectations hence, there'd be no problem in management's eyes.
    If a guy did damage to a title, and it was clear he was going to, then he was left on it for too long.

Hitch on Justice League.

Putting anybody other than a really good writer on writing duties on one of DC’s flagship properties was just daft. It was never going to work really well...and didn’t.

Did it cause real damage? Maybe not...suppose Justice League is near bomb-proof...but I doubt many long term League fans were pleased when Hitch was put on as writer, and nobody could be surprised when a good run didn’t come about.

How are you separating out what is strictly the fault of the writer and what is the fault of editorial direction/interference?
    And why do you say "management should have removed" when it could just as easily be a case where the management itself should have been removed?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How are you separating out what is strictly the fault of the writer and what is the fault of editorial direction/interference?
    And why do you say "management should have removed" when it could just as easily be a case where the management itself should have been removed?
    I'd say Len Wein. He was the editor that allowed Alan Moore to cripple Barbara Gordon. No Len Wein and Barbara remains hale and hearty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    People can make a judgment as to whether a writer did a bad job of writing what he was handed. If the assignment sucked, then you can't much blame the writer.

And if the management failed to get a writer off a comic, then of course the management was more to blame than the writer was.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I'd say Len Wein. He was the editor that allowed Alan Moore to cripple Barbara Gordon. No Len Wein and Barbara remains hale and hearty.
    Except Killing Joke was never meant to be an in-continuity story, no more so than Dark Knight Returns. I was not Wein, but the Batman office headed by O'Neill who decided to take a one off story and mold the ongoing Batman continuity around it. That's not on the people involved with The Killing Joke, it was the Bat-office playing to the fan mentality that stories have to be in continuity to be important instead of being able to stand on their own merits (or lack thereof) as a story.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Except Killing Joke was never meant to be an in-continuity story, no more so than Dark Knight Returns. I was not Wein, but the Batman office headed by O'Neill who decided to take a one off story and mold the ongoing Batman continuity around it. That's not on the people involved with The Killing Joke, it was the Bat-office playing to the fan mentality that stories have to be in continuity to be important instead of being able to stand on their own merits (or lack thereof) as a story.

-M
    Come to think of it, even Jason Todd's death seemed to be an idea planted in THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS a few years before it became a story in the regular Bat-continuity.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

On the flip side Barbara was 100% a better character after becoming Oracle that she ever was as Batgirl. I would argue it was the editor that undid that and made her Batgirl again that made things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    On the flip side Barbara was 100% a better character after becoming Oracle that she ever was as Batgirl. I would argue it was the editor that undid that and made her Batgirl again that made things worse.
    I don't know. I've always had reservations about the idea that it's necessary to take out somebody's legs and confine her to a wheelchair to make her a better character. I'd have preferred for the writers to have just written Barbara better as Batgirl than to maim her for a quarter century.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't know. I've always had reservations about the idea that it's necessary to take out somebody's legs and confine her to a wheelchair to make her a better character. I'd have preferred for the writers to have just written Barbara better as Batgirl than to maim her for a quarter century.
    If they wanted an Oracle character they should have just created Oracle as a brand new character. TKJ should never have been canon.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

If they wanted an Oracle character they should have just created Oracle as a brand new character. TKJ should never have been canon.
    Or make Oracle an identity Barbara takes one to signify that she had grown up.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

She wasn't Batgirl when she got shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She wasn't Batgirl when she got shot.
    Yeah...she was in that weird, but relatively brief limbo period when she had freshly given up the Batgirl role, but hadn't become Oracle yet. The writers probably didn't know what to do with her, but wanted to keep her around in some capacity. I'm not a fan of the route they took.