Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mike Tyson Aka Frankie from IPman 3 Vs Any Boxer from the Rocky Franchise

This is a boxing man. 15 rounds.

Mike fought IPman evenly for 1 round and may have even won in the end had the fight gone on. How does he do against the boxers of rocky?

Unless Mike Tyson has serious stamina issues, he should slaughter anyone short of Clubber Lang, whom he should also take 10/10 over in the third round. Only Ivan Drago stands a realistic chance of going more than 3 rounds due to his ridiculous strength and damage soak, but his lack of technique will doom him. Tyson had a blatantly superhuman wuxia martial artist on the ropes at several points during their 3 minute match, flinging him several feet with more than one connected bodyblow. He certainly did more damage to Ip Man than he received. Ip Man may have been able to turn it around in the later rounds due to his slightly better adaptability, but as it stood he would have been in trouble if things continued going as they had in the first.

BANNED

You know I just wanted to say that earlier this year I saw IP Man 3 when I was overseas and it was a pretty excellent movie (it literally felt like I was watching a playthrough of a beat 'em up or fighting game with multiple bosses + one bonus or secret boss). And interestingly enough, Mike Tyson's character, Frankie, certainly had a bigger bite to him than I expected and I was pondering on what it would be like if he were to face the Rocky characters.

But I have to confess that I did feel mildly upset and frustrated to see that Frankie was able to really give Ip man of all people some real trouble, where it looked like he was almost going to defeat him, although when I was in the middle of watching that scene, I went with my own personal interpretation that while Frankie did seem to be physically stronger every step of the way, that Ip Man was able to successfully recover from every blow he took and smoothly counter his attacks tit for tat and managed to end the fight in a draw at the end of their 3 minutes. And I was hoping that if Ip Man really knew better and was more prepared, that he could have genuinely defeated Frankie in the later rounds. I mean I just think it's full of BS that someone much more skilled, strategic, tactical, versatile, and adaptive in fighting would be at risk of losing a bit more easily than I would assume against a big brute.

Maybe it's cause Frankie was an antagonist of the movie (and a bit of a JerkAss at that too) that I still feel disappointed that Ip Man didn't give that arrogant bastard his own comeuppance.

Anyways on topic, I think I can see Rocky Balboa surviving him and Ivan Drago probably physically creams him (that's for trying to own Ip Man, you big a-hole), but everyone else most likely loses against Frankie after a good fight.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

From the looks of it, everyone besides Apollo and Drago get crushed in short order, even Rocky himself. Frankie has a lot of things the people in Rocky don't: head mobility, body mobility, and he's doing all that while he's a bloody tank that doesn't stop coming. He's like peak Brandon Rios after Skynet gets a hold of him and turns him into a Terminator.

Even then, Apollo gets to die again while Drago's punches hit air while he's whittled down round after round after round, finally getting broken down.

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    From the looks of it, everyone besides Apollo and Drago get crushed in short order, even Rocky himself. Frankie has a lot of things the people in Rocky don't: head mobility, body mobility, and he's doing all that while he's a bloody tank that doesn't stop coming. He's like peak Brandon Rios after Skynet gets a hold of him and turns him into a Terminator.

Even then, Apollo gets to die again while Drago's punches hit air while he's whittled down round after round after round, finally getting broken down.
    Oh idk. Rocky might be able to outlast him. Dude was like a human sponge.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Astonishing Member

It's kind of ironic seeing 'Frankie' using all those defensive moves that Tyson never used when he actually boxed.

I like how Ip Man wised up and started targeting legs against a boxer, and "Frankie" still tanked everything and was able to counter.

Ali vs. Inoki this fight was not.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Given that Tyson's character here was managing quite well against Donnie's Ip Man, who has some absolutely ridiculous feats of strength and hitting power in the first two movies, I'm none too sanguine about anyone from Rocky doing anything but getting beaten down.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Given that Tyson's character here was managing quite well against Donnie's Ip Man, who has some absolutely ridiculous feats of strength and hitting power in the first two movies, I'm none too sanguine about anyone from Rocky doing anything but getting beaten down.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Alright, i need to see this movie.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

BANNED

Did anyone else feel disappointed ipman didnt beat frankie?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    not me. seemed more even to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Not me. The main character doesn't have to win every fight. Plus, it's a sub-theme that's been going on throughout Ip Man's movies that there's only so much even he can do, and that there will eventually be those stronger than him. I'm glad that Ip Man got two very worthy opponents in his third movie.

Also, one weakness Ip Man has, imo, is that he's a little too composed. He's reliant on his hand speed and balance on defense, lacking the ferocity to push someone back absent a true opening: he wants to turn a bad situation into a good one through skill, and isn't so good at forcing a bad situation into a good one. Thus, Ip Man runs into trouble against people who are overwhelmingly stronger than him like Twister and Frankie, who don't give him the time to slowly assess their weaknesses and dismantle them. In contrast, Sammo Hung's character in Ip Man 2 started well against Twister despite inferior hitting power because he was able to force Twister to fight at Sammo's pace.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 08-09-2016 at 06:57 PM.