BANNED

Default Where Do The Great Lakes Avengers Fit Into "Marvel Now!"(2016)?

Brevoort mentioned an interest in getting A GLA Book off the ground in an interview and how if books like deadpool and squirrel girl could get famous then why not The GLA?

but is there really any place for them in the post Civil War II Marvel Universe? with fans being even more critical about who does and doesn't get their own series it's become a common theme of many average comic book readers to just scoff at such obscure characters and prefer they be flushed down the toilet

and more importantly with Marvel Launching "Champions" "Mosaic" "Infamous Iron-Man" "Prowler" And "Jessica Jones" in the same month it becomes hard for the GLA to compete and get noticed when their purpose has yet to be explained outside of being the goofballs of Detroit(note i don't consider Solo because his book's gonna have a hard enough time just luring readers to it)

Gravity-Weird-Heroes-Marvel.jpg
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 07-27-2016 at 08:03 PM.

I think they have a place in Marvel. Any comic book series whether solo or team-based will always have a place.

When it comes to sales it usually varies from series to series. GLA is in a really good spot where it's not the Champions or Avengers where it will be expected to sell a lot. So there's not as much pressure on it as a book to do extraordinarily well. As long as the sales aren't under 10k it will be allowed to run however many issues the creator has mapped out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    I think they have a place in Marvel. Any comic book series whether solo or team-based will always have a place.

When it comes to sales it usually varies from series to series. GLA is in a really good spot where it's not the Champions or Avengers where it will be expected to sell a lot. So there's not as much pressure on it as a book to do extraordinarily well. As long as the sales aren't under 10k it will be allowed to run however many issues the creator has mapped out.
    but whose to say the sales will be above that mark? i try describing this book to anyone and they just shake their heads saying it sounds like a piece of garbage

There is really no way of knowing until the title is released.

Who would have thought Squirrel Girl or Even Spider-Gwen would have found the niches they did?

As many at Marvel have pointed out, the estimated monthly orders from Diamond are not the "bible of sales". So it is very possible we will see low "sales" but be told that it does great in digital or trade form.

I certainly think they deserve a place in Marvel comics. Admittedly I am a little bias, as I love the team ever since reading Dan Slott's mini series and my favorite comics are the more comedic, light ones such as likes of Squirrel Girl, Hellcat etc. Will it be a breakout hit? No idea, but there is no harm in hoping...

BANNED

I think Deadpool fans, Squirrel Girl fans and other fans would like to get the book. Im more worried about ongoing solos of Solo, Slapstick and the other character which i forgot the name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    There is really no way of knowing until the title is released.

Who would have thought Squirrel Girl or Even Spider-Gwen would have found the niches they did?

As many at Marvel have pointed out, the estimated monthly orders from Diamond are not the "bible of sales". So it is very possible we will see low "sales" but be told that it does great in digital or trade form.

the problem is that GLA gives marvel no reason to think they'll find a niche that buys enough copies to keep it afloat....if marvel tried hyping this up it would only end with most comic readers facepalming

i love the sound of this book i really do but it's got an uphill battle to fight

They shoud market it as "the new Mr Fantastic is gay" or "the most powerful super-hero of the Marvel Universe is a black man".
    People will rage, people will cheer, people will talk about the comics.

BANNED

what they need to do is actually talk about it.....the writer Zac Gorman talked about it during a panel at SDCC But there was no articles about that panel or what he said about GLA During it....

like oh my god...this is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    what they need to do is actually talk about it.....the writer Zac Gorman talked about it during a panel at SDCC But there was no articles about that panel or what he said about GLA During it....

like oh my god...this is stupid
    Well, there is that:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/...called-a-name/

Next Gorman talked a little about the new Great Lake Avengers series, and how the GLA somehow come to own the Avengers trademark and trade that to become an official Avengers team, but that in order to be so they have to move the team from Milwaukee to Detroit.
    I guess people aren't talking about it because there wasn't much to say.

BANNED

They've always been kind of a joke team... Then again I'm sure the post cw ii MU is gonna need more humor and less cynism, and I'm sure the GLA is the right team to bring that... Also I wonder if the mutants will get retconned

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    They've always been kind of a joke team... Then again I'm sure the post cw ii MU is gonna need more humor and less cynism, and I'm sure the GLA is the right team to bring that... Also I wonder if the mutants will get retconned
    They weren't so much actual mutants as trying to cash in on being mutant, since X books were still the unquestioned top dog then.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!