Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I honestly don't see how this is ignored. The explanation suggest that the creator of this adaption see's Bruce as a parental figure for Babs to. It's kind of disgusting that he can say that as a reason for why Bats could have sex with a student (Babs). He's not the best parental figure? Really!? I agree with just because something is legal doesn't make it acceptable. If you see someone as a parent to another individual don't write them having sex.
    We are talking about the Batman who takes part in the work Batman: The Killing Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Someone needs to keep him away from writing female characters as he typically paints them in a controversial and negative light.
    While I can see "Not my cup of tea...", having seen it there wasn't really anything negative about the scene in question.

I probably wouldn't mind the sex as much if I didn't now have to think of it as bad parenting.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mabromov View Post
    Timm didn't even write or direct the killing joke movie, he executively produced it, now he sucks?
    Timm has discussed the process of writing the film. Even saying there was one line he'd written differently if he'd thought it'd be intepreted as some did.

Also he's written Bruce/Barbara love stories before. So it being in this film, is probably on him.

Regardless. Seems folks either love or hate the film. Most really like the TKJ bit (which is more or less the comic), and the added bits seems a bit cheesy.

Personally. I wish Azzarello written something more clever like his Gotham Knight: Working Through The Pain for Barbara, for her Oracle character. An animated short which can be seen on WB:s youtube channel here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asEQeCfaEgE

Barbara rolls out in a wheelchair in the end of the film, after the credits. I wouldn't have minded more Oracle. Perhaps having her scenes after --first.

Btw. Given how awkward Brian seems about the film, perhaps there's a reason why he added a scene where Joker says: "It doesn't have to be good to be a classic" :P
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-26-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Went to the screening, thought it was pretty good. The added Batgirl buildup and the scene in question were fine. Many seem to have built it up to be something it was not. It was not graphic or salacious. The crowd in my theater seemed to both laugh and cheer when it played out. The joke at the end came across funnier on screen than when I've read it on the page. That could be my own failing in how I've read it though. Loved the post-credits (well mid credits) scene.
    Last edited by GDC3; 07-26-2016 at 12:58 AM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

BANNED

This is awesome. Batgirl is very 😜

What the heck? Why are you so insistent on bashing Bruce Timm? He's easily one of the best things that's ever happened to Batman. 20+ years of amazing animation and some good comics too means nothing?

Timm didn't even write or direct the killing joke movie, he executively produced it, now he sucks?
    Bruce Timm did amazing things, yes, but that doesn't make him infallible, and he certainly didn't do those things all by himself. After these 20+ years, it's now getting more and more obvious that people treated Bruce Timm as the poster-child for the DCAU, people calling it the "Timmverse" when most of the actual writing came from Paul Dini. It's them as a duo who created BTAS. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, the writing for those games was as good as BTAS... because they had Paul Dini.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Barbara rolls out in a wheelchair in the end of the film, after the credits. I wouldn't have minded more Oracle. Perhaps having her scenes after --first.
    Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    Loved the post-credits (well mid credits) scene.
    I did like that they were willing to throw this wrinkle into the usual discussion of the ending of the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    We are talking about the Batman who takes part in the work Batman: The Killing Joke.
    I'm aware of the name of the movie to the thread I walked into. The fact is that Timm just suggested he sees Batman as a parental figure to Babs so this suggest his ideology when shipping these two together whenever he can..

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I probably wouldn't mind the sex as much if I didn't now have to think of it as bad parenting.
    precisely said.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    This bullshit wasn't needed. Batman/Batgirl relationship is one thing I don't like from the DC Animated Universe.
    you are correct this bullshit isn't needed...so stop with this bullshit already. This isn't the Batman from the Animated Universe. It's the same voice...but this is the Killing Joke...not part of any of the Batman animated universe continuity.

Astonishing Member

I get where they were going with the sex (Barbara DOES indeed have power in the Bruce/Barbara dynamic), but I don't like how they handled things after the act.

To be honest, I feel like the Batgirl prologue and spoilers:
    Oracle
    end of spoilers epilogue felt like completely separate movies attached to TKJ.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Bruce Timm did amazing things, yes, but that doesn't make him infallible, and he certainly didn't do those things all by himself. After these 20+ years, it's now getting more and more obvious that people treated Bruce Timm as the poster-child for the DCAU, people calling it the "Timmverse" when most of the actual writing came from Paul Dini. It's them as a duo who created BTAS. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, the writing for those games was as good as BTAS... because they had Paul Dini.
    The writing in those games is so all over the place that's it's hilarious. It's especially funny in Arkham Asylum when the tapes you're picking up while going along don't even kind of match the tone of the actual game part. Arkham Asylum is a pretty great game, but it sure what's great because of its writing.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    ****, after years of being the guy who seemingly understood the Batman characters better than anyone I guess now he doesn't understand them at all.
    Are you kidding me? Bruce Timm is easily one of the best things that's ever happened to Batman. 20+ years of amazing animation and a few great comics as well means nothing I suppose. It amazes me how quickly people on the internet turn on someone.

And btw, Barbara and the Bruce relationship was briefly mentioned in Batman Beyond, but it was a brief "wink" and it was treated like a mistake.

Apparently, because Bruce Timm was an executive producer for a movie people didn't like, now that means he sucks. Jeez.
    If you don't see how Tim Drake killing someone or Bruce banging one of his students is out of character I don't know what to tell you.

May read a comic about one of the characters some time?
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Astonishing Member

Really need a separate "Oracle: Year One" movie...would love to see it.