Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Bruce Timm on Origins of 'Risky' Batman-Batgirl Sex Scene in "The Killing Joke"

DC Animation guru Bruce Timm discusses the controversial Batman/Batgirl romance in the R-rated "Killing Joke" animated adaptation.

Full article here.

Thats stupid. There is absolutely no reason for it.

His explanation just made it a ton creepier. Them getting together should have had nothing to do with his "parental skills." If they had wanted to paint their relationship in a different light, where they were more peers, etc... that's one thing, but yep, even Timm thinks of Batman as a parental figure to Babs. I guess it's Batman by way of Woody Allen - "The heart wants what the heart wants...?"

Is this meant to be the biggest "Joke" of all and we've all just fallen for it??

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    Thats stupid. There is absolutely no reason for it.
    Seriously. Feels more like they saw the R rating and figured, might as well throw in a sex scene then.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Fantastic Member

Was there reference to it in the original story? Where this this come from? I guess had I not seen this story it would have totally flew right by me in the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    His explanation just made it a ton creepier. Them getting together should have had nothing to do with his "parental skills." If they had wanted to paint their relationship in a different light, where they were more peers, etc... that's one thing, but yep, even Timm thinks of Batman as a parental figure to Babs. I guess it's Batman by way of Woody Allen - "The heart wants what the heart wants...?"

Is this meant to be the biggest "Joke" of all and we've all just fallen for it??
    This was my immediate thought. If your explanation of their sex scene involves the "parental skills" of Bruce towards Barbara you need to seriously reconsider what the hell you're doing.

It's also annoying how completely dismissive he is of people who might be bothered by this, as if they don't have a point why it shouldn't happen. He admits its controversial but doesn't actually address WHY its controversial and how he justified it. It makes me feel as though he doesn't see the problems in that type of a sexual relationship.
    Last edited by dan12456; 07-25-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    Was there reference to it in the original story? Where this this come from? I guess had I not seen this story it would have totally flew right by me in the theater.
    In the Tim verse Barbra and Bruce did hook up but after Tim killed the Joker they drifted apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    In the Tim verse Barbra and Bruce did hook up but after Tim killed the Joker they drifted apart.
    This sentence made me laugh. Nothing could so perfectly describe how completely Timm doesn't understand these characters then this sequence of events.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Yep, this explanation is another fine example of how disgustingly pediphelic and chauvanistic the industry is. We have a long way to go before the men in this industry start having the right sensibilities in regards to women. Before anyone accuses me of being a prude. I got no problems with hardcore sex, but I draw the line with pediphilia. This isn't sex with Batwoman, this is a man and young girl. That's rape. I don't care if she's of legal age, it's the intent that 'Babs' is younger child-like to parental Bruce Wayne. Its absolutely pediphelic intent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    This was my immediate thought. If your explanation of their sex scene involves the "parental skills" of Bruce towards Barbara you need to seriously reconsider what the hell you're doing.

It's also annoying how completely dismissive he is of people who might be bothered by this, as if they don't have a point why it shouldn't happen. He admits its controversial but doesn't actually address WHY its controversial and how he justified it. It makes me feel as though he doesn't see the problems in that type of a sexual relationship.
    I was honestly hoping for a logical, somewhat understandable explanation but all I got from this is Bruce isnt the perfect parental figure if you compare his relationship to Babs as him being a parental figure then there's no honest reason they should have sex... like honestly is Bruce not in control of his hormones.

Talk about digging yourself a deeper hole. Mr. Timm, please stop talking. Batman and Batgirl will survive this. They are strong characters with long cherished histories. But my respect for the creator’s involved may not survive.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    This sentence made me laugh. Nothing could so perfectly describe how completely Timm doesn't understand these characters then this sequence of events.
    In the New batman adventures there were hints that both Bruce and Barbra were starting to get close then sometime after JLA went off the air to the time Tim was kidnapped and tortured by the Joker they did become lovers which was one of the reasons why dick left for Bludhaven in DCAU. After the Joker died Bruce wouldn't let anyone in. It was just the mission and nothing else until the night he had a heart attack and was forced to do the one thing he swore he would never do...Draw a gun with the intent to kill.

2016 must be the year of Edgiest Batmen ever.

Movie Batman is on a killing spree and animated Batman wants to have sex with his student / best friends daughter / step son's GF.

Now if only All Star Batman and Robin could be completed this year.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This quote pretty much sums up why I have an issue with the Batman/Batgirl romp: "I mean, his 'parental skills' aren't that great. Maybe never having had any kids of his own, he doesn't realize that if you tell a kid to not do something, they’re going to want to do it even more." Timm alludes to Batman being in a parental role to Batgirl, which many of us have concluded over the years. For Batman to have sexual relations with one of his pseudo-children is just downright disturbing and wrong plus it paints Batgirl is a demeaning fashion. No surprise that Azzarello most likely came up with the idea. This deviant filth is right up his alley. First Martha Wayne in Flashpoint, then Wonder Woman in the New 52, and now Batgirl. Someone needs to keep him away from writing female characters as he typically paints them in a controversial and negative light.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Why on earth would the two of them have sex on an open roof in the open in costume (Only to take it off and reveal their identities)? They couldn't just do it in one of their apartments?

I already despise this story enough for throwing Barbara under the bus, but this new scene is enough to keep many people like myself farther away.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!