Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is it that Mercy does not get the same attention as Harleyquin?

I grew up on the 90's Superman and Batman cartoons my favorite female character was Mercy. Harley for me was more comical relief but I always found Mercy more interesting because she while loyal to Lex was smart enough to realize he was selfish and narcissistic my favorite moment was when Lex called her in that Justice League episode and she just hung up on him.

Mercy is smarter and easily more complex than Harley which is why I don't understand why Harley gets so much attention.

She is not a Batman related character
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Pretty much what Francisco said. And the idiots at DC put the most effort in those characters.

EDIT: I agree, Mercy has a lot of potential. But DC doesn't care about Superman (and his supporting cast) as much as Bats.

She made an appearance in The Batman, Dawn of Justice, the Animated crossover, that and I also mentioned Harley so Batman category seemed logical.

EDIT: Yeah I agree the fact that Bats gets more attention is a travesty.
    Last edited by Castiel; 07-26-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    She made an appearance in The Batman, Dawn of Justice, the Animated crossover, that and I also mentioned Harley so Batman category seemed logical.
    And that went so well for her. Though there was Young Justice.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

She isn't as marketable.

Forgot about YJ still mad she was a mute.

While she's not gotten the same kind of red carpet treatment in comics and the big screen as Harley, Mercy did obviously make a minor appearance in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and, perhaps more significantly in terms of time and development, on Smallville as Tess Mercer. She was more of a hybrid character who combined aspects of Lena Luthor, Miss Tessmacher, and Mercy Graves. However, this gifset shows that she was often called "Mercy" on the show, and these are some nice moments with her:

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Harley had an actual personality that people liked.

Mercy had no personality and never connected with the audience in any meaningful way.

Would it be possible to change this? Sure. But it's no great mystery why the Mercy Graves that was presented to the audience thus far has failed to connect on the same level that Harley did.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

She doesn't have to cool or fun attention grabbing personality that sticks in your mind. He look is not memorable at all.

Harley was like creating a DC super villain with the marketability of a Looney Tune or Mickey Mouse. Mercy was totally about serving the function of being Lex's body guard.....and nothing more. Now one basically has a whole movie, and the other died in a scene with a jar of pee.

Me personally? I think she's a cool idea that if handled with care can become pretty great....but probably never Harley great.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-26-2016 at 11:28 AM.

BANNED

Because the Bat-editorial put in the work to develop Harley Quinn into a succesful character and pushed her a lot over the years.

And because the Super-editorial has barely used Mercy at all.

And also because "female Joker" is a lot more marketable than "generic looking thug (with superstrength that she uses once in a blue moon) in a suit".

They could turn her into "corporate cutthroat bitch" who stabbed Lex Luthor in the back and took over his empire (part of) and is now a thorn in Superman's backside. Keep her in a grey area in which she sometimes help the good guys and sometimes she is just furthering her own agenda. She is one of the few things I liked about Smallville.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    They could turn her into "corporate cutthroat bitch" who stabbed Lex Luthor in the back and took over his empire (part of) and is now a thorn in Superman's backside. Keep her in a grey area in which she sometimes help the good guys and sometimes she is just furthering her own agenda. She is one of the few things I liked about Smallville.
    But I doubt that would make her as memorable and mass marketable as Harley's instant appeal. For Harley, it's like the second you see and hear her you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But I doubt that would make her as memorable and mass marketable as Harley's instant appeal. For Harley, it's like the second you see and hear her you get it.
    Revealing outfits with lots of cleavage. Also you can have her making out with other female characters. Female 50 shades of grey style. j/k

Which version of Mercy do you all like? The Human, The renegade Amazon, or the cyborg?
    Richard Alexander