Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Captain Marvel" Writer DeConnick Comments on Brie Larson Casting

With some backlash starting to stir against Brie Larson being chosen to play Captain Marvel, former "Captain Marvel" writer Kelly Sue DeConnick throws support her way.

Full article here.

Urm... Is the article missing the actual part where she comments on Larson or is DeConnick's lone quote about the helmet some form of shade?

EDIT: Nevermind, just look at Kelly Sue's Twitter feed. "I'm thrilled. She'll be brilliant". She digs it.
    Last edited by Lightengale; 07-26-2016 at 12:06 PM.

The only negative backlash I've seen comes from those who want their nerd choices cast despite those choices, in reality, being pretty crap.

All-New Member

What negative backlash? From the nerds that think Tricia Helfer is a good actress and should have got the part?

Ive seen nothing but praise for the casting from all main stream media

Quote Originally Posted by Lightengale View Post
    Urm... Is the article missing the actual part where she comments on Larson or is DeConnick's lone quote about the helmet some form of shade?

EDIT: Nevermind, just look at Kelly Sue's Twitter feed. "I'm thrilled. She'll be brilliant". She digs it.
    Thanks lol. That's what I was thinking too. Read it three times trying to find what she thought.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Thanks lol. That's what I was thinking too. Read it three times trying to find what she thought.
    The writer of the article should have included the twitter comment as well.

BANNED

Oh well, seems like everyone beat me to it re: the article failing to deliver on what the headline promised.

And a bunch of people complaining online because their fan casting dreams didn't come true is not "backlash."

I haven't seen backlash, but a lot of complaints of wanting an older actress. They're usually in tandem with praising Larson, but some of it still feels backhanded.

I haven't seen backlash, but a lot of complaints of wanting an older actress. They're usually in tandem with praising Larson, but some of it still feels backhanded.
    Count me in with those who would prefer someone a little older but Marvel has a great track record of choosing the right person for the role and I'll trust in their choice for Carol. A lot of folks had the same questions about Chris Evans but now I couldn't imagine anyone else as Captain America. Hope the same happens for Brie.

What strange reporting! DeConnick gave a full, in depth interview about the casting with Joanna Robinson at Variety, but the only quote CBR pulled was about the helmet, and they did link to the full interview but it's hard to spot because they misidentify Variety as "Bitch Planet," the title DeConnick's latest creator owned comic.

Yeah, thumbs down to the article and the peculiar headline that, while correct, bore no correlation to what was printed.

With no dog in the fight apart from being a long time fan of Carol, and a big fan of DeConnick's run on the book, I'll come down on Kelley Sue's side in supporting the casting choice. She understands the character more intimately than we mere mortals (that is not sarcasm - best to be clear in this age of truthiness), and if DeConnick's okay with Larson, then good. Larson is a capable actress with proven chops and could, though not necessarily should, bring Carol to life in ways we won't expect.

Spectacular Member

Not sure what the issue is... when filming starts she'll be roughly the same age as Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth were when the first Captain America and Thor movies were filmed.

Amazing Member

There's more backlash for this article than the casting.

Amazing Member

I'd say backlash is a strong statement. There were rumors of other actresses. Katheryn Winnick of Vikings was one. I was hoping for her. Rebecca Ferguson of White Queen and latest Mission Impossible...I'm a fan of hers as well. But Brie Larson is fine with me. Marvel has done a great job in casting their heroes so far so I trust they made the right choice.

Spectacular Member

I have to disagree with DeConnick on one point. I'm not a fan of the helmet. It looked too Ironman-like and the mohawk sticking out the top looked ridiculous.
    Last edited by Redvector; 07-26-2016 at 01:39 PM.