Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

As someone who dislikes the casting, there is not backlash. People disagree on everything. It's really not a big deal.
    Cyclops was right

Er, the full interview is on Variety. Weird for CBR to put it like that.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Actresses that are older have played younger characters, it really wouldn't be that hard to make Brie look older by some make up and costuming. You can say that she's older too in the dialogue or through some other means give her an older age.

I am extremely happy about Brie Larson. As a longtime fan of Carol Danvers. As a lifelong fan of good acting and as a fan of Brie Larson's. It's all working out for me.

And I am 100% with KSD -- I want the helmet. I'm bummed it's currently not in use. The reasoning I heard Amanat put forth was that Carol doesn't need a helmet to breath in space... Well, obviously. Her mouth and nostrils are exposed even with the helmet on. In-story, at the very least, it keeps debris from her eyes when she's in a hard core situation. But as a storytelling conceit, it's a great indicator that it's GOING DOWN!! And it looks totally badass. Helmet-hawk!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Actresses that are older have played younger characters, it really wouldn't be that hard to make Brie look older by some make up and costuming. You can say that she's older too in the dialogue or through some other means give her an older age.
    Or they could (and, most likely will) just not make an issue of it, the same way they generally don't make an issue of such things in these kinds of movies.

And the helmet is ridiculous looking. I always assumed that the purpose of the helmet was that it somehow did help her breathe in space since, as far as I knew, she lost that ability when she lost her Binary level power. Which made it look ridiculous from a design perspective because her nose and mouth were exposed. But if, for some reason, it serves no functional purpose, then it looks even sillier. Good riddance.
    Last edited by kalorama; 07-26-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: "will" not "won't"

All-New Member

First, did all you guys miss the quote, "She has a gravitas and she has a power to her. But you can see she also has a sense of humor and playfulness there," said DeConnick. "I'm psyched."

Second, the helmet rocks hard. Only wearing that helmet (which is CLEARLY a nod to the Kree warriors her powers derive from) could she adequately deliver the monologue, "My name is Captain Marvel. I am an Earthling and an Avenger. Today I stand as one with the settlers of Torfa, who claim this planet and its resources as they were freely given in the aftermath of the behemoth disaster... They are a peaceful people, but I am a woman of war. If you move against them, you move against me. I am willing to die here today, for this cause. I have made my choice... now you make yours." That speech brought tears welling up in my eyes. It so perfectly encapsulates Captain Marvel and being an Avenger and being a hero. Sure, the helmet does take away from her femininity a bit, but I think that's the point. When it's on, she isn't defined by her womanhood, she's defined by her actions as a warrior and a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorionthei View Post
    I'd say backlash is a strong statement. There were rumors of other actresses. Katheryn Winnick of Vikings was one. I was hoping for her. Rebecca Ferguson of White Queen and latest Mission Impossible...I'm a fan of hers as well. But Brie Larson is fine with me. Marvel has done a great job in casting their heroes so far so I trust they made the right choice.
    I was hoping for Winnick myself - although that's largely for the butt-kicking cred she gets for having played Lagertha.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

I thought KSD's whole run was a weird blend of dull as dirt and tumblr-bait, but I don't disagree with her on Larson. I think she'll be just fine. We know she can act. With that a given, what will be important is the script and director.

(Count me in on the anti-helmet group. Dumb looks are dumb.)

Spectacular Member

i want the helmet, too.

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

The helmet is dumb, but not a deal breaker. It's the ridiculous hairstyles Carol has been drawn with for the last couple of years that might do it though. Like she headbutted a blender and lost.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    The helmet is dumb, but not a deal breaker. It's the ridiculous hairstyles Carol has been drawn with for the last couple of years that might do it though. Like she headbutted a blender and lost.
    Is there any way to actually win a headbutting contest with a blender?

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Unplug it first.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightengale View Post
    I haven't seen backlash, but a lot of complaints of wanting an older actress. They're usually in tandem with praising Larson, but some of it still feels backhanded.
    Given Hollywood's reluctance to cast older actresses and the rightful criticism of the industry for this, I think it's somewhat ironic that fans are now being called out for suggesting that an older actress should have been cast. What's the problem here? Reverse-ageism?

I happen to agree, by the way, that Carol should be older than 26, based on the character established in the comics. I'm over it now, but that was my initial reaction to the news.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Given Hollywood's reluctance to cast older actresses and the rightful criticism of the industry for this, I think it's somewhat ironic that fans are now being called out for suggesting that an older actress should have been cast. What's the problem here? Reverse-ageism?

I happen to agree, by the way, that Carol should be older than 26, based on the character established in the comics. I'm over it now, but that was my initial reaction to the news.
    (A) We don't know how old Carol--the character--is supposed to be, as the age of the actor generally has nothing to do with the age of the character. (B) by the time the movie actually start's filming--sometime in 2018--Larson will be at least 28, possibly 29.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    (A) We don't know how old Carol--the character--is supposed to be, as the age of the actor generally has nothing to do with the age of the character. (B) by the time the movie actually start's filming--sometime in 2018--Larson will be at least 28, possibly 29.
    I was referring to the Carol established in the comics, and I don't think my point on that is really in dispute.

Quoted from the above-referenced article and interview:
    "Criticisms of Brie Larson vary from complaints about her height (Larson is 5'7", where Carol in the comics is 5'11") to her age (Larson is 26, while Carol's comic age is fluid, but definitely older given years of experience). "My Carol was a Colonel [in the Air Force], so she was older," said DeConnick."

Your point about when filming begins is true, and well-taken.
    My point about Hollywood's ageism with actresses is still valid, I think. Why can't they cast an older actress to play an older character? Why cast a younger actress and "age her up" for the role?
    Last edited by keeen; 07-26-2016 at 09:39 PM.