Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DiDio & Lee Says DC Will Take the Time to Do "Watchmen"/Rebirth Story 'Right'

DC Comics Co-Publishers Dan DiDio & Jim Lee tell CBR that it'll be a while before the story of "Watchmen" involvement in the DC Universe continues.

Full article here.

Translation:

"The New 52 was starting to tank so we did a reverse course to see if we could generate some much needed sales and basically try and bring back all the readers we alienated when we relaunched after FlashPoint."

Quote Originally Posted by Series5Ranger View Post
    Translation:

"The New 52 was starting to tank so we did a reverse course to see if we could generate some much needed sales and basically try and bring back all the readers we alienated when we relaunched after FlashPoint."
    That may be true; but that isn't what Didio and Lee were talking about in the article. The article isn't about why they decided to do Rebirth; it's about how they intend to do it. It's not “how we got here”; it's “where are we going from here”.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Can someone remind me why people did not like the whole Watchmen being in continuity thing? When I read the issue, I made the weirdest noises, following by "OH ****!!!" and was pretty excited, but a lot seemed to be angry.
    Superhero shows are trash

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Lots of time to build it up, slip in Easter eggs and get people hyped.

I don't care how long it will take, as long as it can live up to the Rebirth special and has an impressive payoff.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

If they drag it out too long and wait to do more with it people will get frustrated. You had all the hype for it at the end of Rebirth #1 and they really shouldn't let that hype die.

Let me rephrase that, take as long as you were gonna do within a reasonable time and be sure to drop reminders or even devote entire issues to this ongoing plot
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It means they won't give any resolution and just wait for everyone to forget about. Unless it tanks big time.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

I'm good with a nice slow build and willing to wait for a well seeded, fully fleshed out story. I'm actually interested in the Joker story as well and how that plays into things. Saw something recently that made me think more about his wife (one of their wives?) Jeannie and whether she and the baby actually did die. How that might play into things. Watching the Killing Joke movie kind of brought that back for me. 3 Multiversal Jokers existing in the new restructured universe or Father, Son, and one other all existing on the prime earth thanks to Dr. Manhattan?
    Last edited by GDC3; 07-26-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Amazing Member

As long as they keep up the quality we've been getting since Rebirth I'm happy to wait a couple years for a payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Can someone remind me why people did not like the whole Watchmen being in continuity thing? When I read the issue, I made the weirdest noises, following by "OH ****!!!" and was pretty excited, but a lot seemed to be angry.
    It was never intended to be part of continuity (well, maybe when it was supposed to be the Charlton heroes; doubt it, though) and it further flips the bird to Moore and Gibbons, in regards their ownership and hammers home the creative void that is DC editorial that they have to keep stripping the gristle off the bones of the Alan Moore carcass.

Johns said Rebirth has a two-year plan in terms of the overall story, so I imagine we'll get some development or culmination with the Watchmen storyline then, after each title has settled and we have a better-established DCU.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

I'm invested. Loved the Rebirth one shot so I'll stick around to see where it goes. Sad truth is is that you can't please everybody.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    It means they won't give any resolution and just wait for everyone to forget about.
    Kinda like the whole Pandora/New 52 stuff...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES