Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Morrison's New X-Men Omnibus is definitely one of my top best when you consider how much quality and fun you get for your money

Often anything Morrison or anything pre-FP Batman is a favorite collected edition
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

1- Dark Horse Comics' Omnibus: Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Volumes 1 and 2. I absolutely love those old stories (depicting ancient Jedi vs. Sith conflicts ~5000 and 4000 years before the films), and they were my first Dark Horse omnis. They were an important factor in me trying to become a Star Wars completionist.

2- Essential Thor Volume 1. I think this was my first Marvel collected edition. I bought quite a few Essential books (though lately have tried to move towards Epic Collections), but that first Thor one was great.

The Cerebus phonebooks were a godsend, when they debuted. You could catch up, if you missed out on the book (I didn't start on it until Sim was around issue 100) and read things like High Society, where it kept building and building.

I have a soft spot for the Nostalgia Press Flash Gordon collections, especially the first volume. I discovered that on the library bookmobile and read the heck out of it, introducing me to the wonder of the strip. It disappeared from the library system, so I never got to check it out again until I was in college and found it and the second volume in the university library. They also had two volumes of the Nostalgia Press Prince Valiant reprints. For Prince Valiant, nothing beats the Fantagraphics hardcover colelctions. They are the size that the original strip was printed, plus have great historical information. NBM's Hal Foster and Burne Hogarth Tarzan reprints were also great.

My all time favorite book collection, which I sadly no longer have was the limited edition reprint of the Monster Society of Evil serial, from captain Marvel Adventures. This thing was huge, leather bound, and came in a slip-case. It cost me $75; but, I had a low number (I forget how many they produced; but, it was only a few hundred). I let it go and kick myself for doing it.

A second favorite was the two-volume, slipcased, hardcover reprint of Simon & Kirby's Captain America stories, published in 1991, for Cap's 50th Anniversary. It was pulled from publication when it was discovered that someone in the printing process put in a penis, on a panel with Bucky strapped to a hospital gurney, that was only done on the yellow plate. It was in yellow line, as a result, and didn't immediately show up, due to the glossy paper reflecting light. When I heard about it, I pulled out my copy to search for the offending panel and it took two passes through the book to find it. I let that go, too. Aaaargh!

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

I find myself re-reading the Ed Brubaker run on Captain America fairly often. Also really love Roger Stern's Spider-Man Omnibus, Garth Ennis's Punisher and anything written by Brian K Vaughn.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier76; 08-05-2016 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post

I have a soft spot for the Nostalgia Press Flash Gordon collections, especially the first volume. I discovered that on the library bookmobile and read the heck out of it, introducing me to the wonder of the strip. It disappeared from the library system, so I never got to check it out again until I was in college and found it and the second volume in the university library. They also had two volumes of the Nostalgia Press Prince Valiant reprints. For Prince Valiant, nothing beats the Fantagraphics hardcover colelctions. They are the size that the original strip was printed, plus have great historical information. NBM's Hal Foster and Burne Hogarth Tarzan reprints were also great.
    Did you try the Titan books Flash Gordon hc-s? much cheaper than the IDW giant sized monstrosities and quite nice looking books.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Did you try the Titan books Flash Gordon hc-s? much cheaper than the IDW giant sized monstrosities and quite nice looking books.
    Haven't seen them. I have the Nostalgia Press editions, which were quite good, though I have only found the later volumes in paperback. I had the Kitchen Sink editions; but, donated them to a library, when I was moving and decided the library needed thinning (and I had the NP editions, which were easier to handle than those long KS ones). I also have digital copies of it and the later years of the strip.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Haven't seen them. I have the Nostalgia Press editions, which were quite good, though I have only found the later volumes in paperback. I had the Kitchen Sink editions; but, donated them to a library, when I was moving and decided the library needed thinning (and I had the NP editions, which were easier to handle than those long KS ones). I also have digital copies of it and the later years of the strip.
    you probably have all the versions you need then Since I wasn't really around in the early 80's and wasn't a collector till around like 5 years ago and only just started getting older strip collections like a year ago I tend to go to the latest editions.
    Also I just love the cover design with the gold foil embossed title

All-New Member

I'm also going with the Fear Agent omnibus', they are not given enough credit.

I love my huge Chew Smorgasbord Editions and The Sixth Gun Deluxe Editions as well. My DC Absolutes (Watchmen, All-Star Superman and V for Vendetta) are excellent as well.