Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Does Dan Jurgens really not seem to give a damn, he has his own version of Superman, with his own Lois and now Jon, with his own villains (Doomsday, Eradicator), his own Wonder Woman and her interactions with the pre-Flashpoint Superman, and he just couldn't care less about continuity or THE RECENTLY DECEASED SUPERMAN THAT IS FROM THIS UNIVERSE?

I'm so glad I'm not picking this up.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I hope Jurgens is done with her next issue.
    Sadly Jurgens will write Diana 'til the end of the arc. She's on the variant cover of AC #962: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articl...r/1100-155874/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    Does Dan Jurgens really not seem to give a damn, he has his own version of Superman, with his own Lois and now Jon, with his own villains (Doomsday, Eradicator), his own Wonder Woman and her interactions with the pre-Flashpoint Superman, and he just couldn't care less about continuity or THE RECENTLY DECEASED SUPERMAN THAT IS FROM THIS UNIVERSE?

I'm so glad I'm not picking this up.
    no not just WW
    even jimmy was and still out of character in this arc

in the first issue he was completely out of character
    after ppl called him out on his screw up
    he briefly mentioned it in a small panel half a$$ed in the 2nd issue
    and going meh whatever in the 3rd issue preff 2 med then small panel

I got it because I got the last two issues of Superman and was pleasantly surprised. Despite not liking the status quo the quality of that book was undeniable so I thought if I gave this a chance, outside of internet synopses and screenshots, that I might feel differently. And I did, but in the opposite way. I feel worse about it than I initially did. Patrick Zircher, when he's on duty is the only draw. Kirkham's alright but doesn't really have that wow factor that really great art can sometimes compensate for when the writing is bad.

Another example: spoilers:
    Superman starts beating on Doomsday with quick punches noting that its a move he learned from the Flash (which read kinda like a riff of when Morrison had Superman explain to Xa-Du that he was taught to box, as he pulled out some boxing moves on him, just with none the charm). Only thing? We JUST got finished having Superman finally come to a realization that face-to-face fisticuffs is a BAD strategy against Doomsday. He learned it the hard way, not even mentioning the fact he should have been well aware of it before now anyway, as you know, it only got him killed once before. But yet again,in this issue he goes back to that exact same way of fighting and, surprise, gets his face squished and has to be saved by Wonder Woman. If you really want the visual of a brawl here, at least take a moment to make it so that Superman has tried, yet for some reason can't, gain distance. Especially when you freaking have him note that the close combat is a bad strategy. Otherwise he looks too stupid to take his own advice. Leave him without a choice. But when he has time to gather his bearings, and of his own volition goes in close to grapple its just mind-numbing. Its just such a mindless fight.
    end of spoilers
    There's just no attention to detail here. Not in regards to continuity before Rebirth, but not even in this own arc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-27-2016 at 05:44 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

really whats with comic creators getting religiously salty over something fictional that's been decided by the higher ups for over 4 years now?
    the damage has been done and everyone knows that it wont stick forever

ether stick with the plot and end it on a higher note to make it gloriouse
    or let someone else competent to work on it
    Last edited by gtomanga; 07-27-2016 at 05:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Wonder Woman is still in the story. She was right there in the last page fighting.
    No she isn't, she's not listed in the next issue, she's fulfilled her purpose. Variants don't mean squat.

This is a pretty pointless story. Wonder Woman being used to prop up the old status quo was pretty childish like and unnecessary. Her Superman is dead. I think that's enough. But to make her act happy go lucky accepting and emotionless is too much and felt very forced.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

I personally am skipping this story arc for the Dark Knight books and other titles. I don't care for Doomsday, and despite all his "special origins" he was always a lame villain to me without much more purpose than beating the **** out of Superman. I might be interested in something later this year, just don't care for Doomsday. It also feels that some characters are just here for props too.
    Last edited by suemorphplus209; 07-27-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    This is a pretty pointless story. Wonder Woman being used to prop up the old status quo was pretty childish like and unnecessary. Her Superman is dead. I think that's enough. But to make her act happy go lucky accepting and emotionless is too much and felt very forced.
    I think her whole purpose is to give some reference to the Dawn of Justice movie.

Great issue. Clark Kent, which was rescued by Wonder Woman, probably is New 52 Superman. He even wears clothes in which was in Batman / Superman Annual 2.6
    Last edited by _Beautiful_Temptress_; 07-27-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I honestly think it's time for Jurgens to step aside or sede main plot duties to another writer and just handle dialogue or layouts. I'm ready for this arc to end.

To be fair though, the ignoring of Doomed and it seems the WW/Superman ship I don't think can be completely played only at Jurgens feet. There are other little things like this popping up across the DCU. Amanda Waller magically becoming heavy set again, Krypto reverting to the classic look etc. I think the in universe explanation will be attributed to time slowly fixing itself after Wally rejoined the New 52. The stuff in Justice League with Diana mourning her Clark takes place most likely prior to the events in Action. It could easily be a case where in JL she remembers her relationship with Nuperman and in Action she's slowly starting to forget,because the time line is slowly shifting without our heroes knowing it.

I personally don't mind Doomed being ignored though. That is when everything started to go off the rails with the Super books. The WW/Superman relationship... personally it doesn't upset me for obvious reasons because frankly other than Charles Soule run,it just wasn't very good or worth preserving,imo. I feel for the shippers,but as I said before,DC was never really serious about that pairing and their quick erasure of it is more evidence of that .
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-27-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Just read it and am in the process of gathering my thoughts. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I definitely liked it more than the previous issue; this issue felt like it moved things forward more and introduced new elements that kept it fresh. The reactions all mostly made sense to me, too. I appreciated the grace both Lois and Diana showed and how they were both heroic in their own ways in this issue. Jon, to me, still acts the way I would expect a little boy and a son of Superman to act in a situation as extreme as this one. I think the only complaints that I have relate to dialogue and art. At times, the dialogue is too matter of fact and exposition-heavy. I'd prefer it to feel more natural. The art is too busy and cartoonish for my taste. Generally speaking, with art and dialogue, I'd prefer an approach with more natural simplicity.

It's like some of you haven't even been reading the story but instead just came here to make rants against Jurgens.

Doomed definately still happened as they made a effort to state that this is the pre-flashpoint Doomsday.

Also Diana definately remembers her relationship. Its even in the second to last page of the preview where she tells Kent the dead don't come back to life.
    action preview.jpg
    Pull List: Everything DC. Plus the all of the X-Men books, Deadpool, Invincible, The Walking Dead, and various other titles I can't think of at the moment.

Good god. This was just terrible.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I enjoyed the issue over all.

I am not the biggest fan of the cartoony art. It isn't bad art, it is well executed, I would just prefer something less cartoony for Action Comics.

The dialogue was ok, not horrible or anything. I found the overall narrative to be interesting and fun.