Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Action Comics #960

"PATH TO DOOM" Chapter Four: Wonder Woman joins the fight, but even her added might can't slow down Doomsday's rampage! As Superman comes face-to-face with the woman who once loved him, the Man of Tomorrow must also wrestle with the reappearance of Clark Kent.

Full preview here.

The Woman who once loved him? I thought she loved the other guy. The one who died
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

To take a page from a Family Guy joke:

♪Solicitations!

They Don't Know What They Write! ♪
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Isn't the solicitations and the "last time" pages written mostly by the interns? At least to my understanding at Marvel it's the assistant editors or interns that do "last time on" page usually. Or are the solicitations done by Diamond themselves in which case, someone wasn't paying attention. Still interesting preview, and Wonder Woman may be looking into what's going on with this new Clark Kent. Although was his arm broken in the preview? Or was he faking that? Kind of confused there.

Astonishing Member

Well this is awkward.

BANNED

It's out Comixology.

I'll read it right after Mighty Thor.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Isn't the solicitations and the "last time" pages written mostly by the interns? At least to my understanding at Marvel it's the assistant editors or interns that do "last time on" page usually. Or are the solicitations done by Diamond themselves in which case, someone wasn't paying attention. Still interesting preview, and Wonder Woman may be looking into what's going on with this new Clark Kent. Although was his arm broken in the preview? Or was he faking that? Kind of confused there.
    Iirc the arm was broken in the previous issue.

Often I only read the preview pages and ignore the solicitations xD

BANNED

The quality of the book remains the same. If you liked the previous issues, you should like this as well.

Jon continues to be annoying. He's a lot better written in Superman than over here.

spoilers:
    Doomsday detects Jon after he screams in celebration of Superman smashing a bus into Doomsday. Superman refers to things he learned about Doomsday in Hunter/Prey. Wonder Woman speaks as if she's never encounterd Doomsday before, and yes I know this is a different Doomsday but she acts like this Doomsday has no relationship to New 52 Doomsday which doesn't really make sense because I don't know why she'd think they wouldn't be related in some way.

There's a interaction here that I think is going to upset a lot of shippers.

The fight continues, now with Jon and Lois are in danger.
    end of spoilers

Lol, its okay, anyone who's been keeping up knew Jurgens was going to use this opportunity to use Wonder Woman's voice to prop up Lois and Clark. He never was going to acknowledge that she was in love with a Superman not more than weeks prior to the events of this title. Its the only reason she's guesting in the first place.

Other than that, the plot still doesnt' really move forward, eh? I mean I guess a little more than the first three issue but all that's really happened is a change of venue. This situation appears to be an exact opposite of the New 52, where when it started Action was amazing and Superman suffered from the start. Now Superman's the one firing on all cylinders and Action's the one plodding along. It was a mistake putting Jurgens on this book. Tomasi is even writing circles around him with his own creation in Jon. He's just bringing absolutely nothing to the table here.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-27-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

So Jurgens brought in Wonder Woman to give her blessing to Superman and Lois and then one-shotted her out of the story. Classy. And so longer after his death, Wonder Woman is still bearing the burden of her relationship with Superman in which she was used, abused and disposed of like trash.

Amazing Member

wow this seem really off and really rushed
    to get back to the same status that they used to be

spoilers:
    there is little less logic in this issue

they retconned a large portion of the new52 doom events
    making it seem like this is the first time they ever met doomsday and whats with you pulling the pre52 doomsday origin out of your A$$?

sups this is not the same pre52 earth you knew
    you got here as a refuge and you know that crap

new52 is a new universe with new origins for the bad guys
    it was already proven by you that
    hank is not cyborg superman
    and this lex isnt pity nor crazy and you treated him like the same lex you knew?

and the way wander womon is talking to prenew52 sups & lois with this huh that's nice reaction
    felt really wrong going by the fact that she just met another lois and called her a friend calmly
    wail there's another lois that she also knew and kindof a friend with.....

and she talked to him like she knew him for years
    except her boyfriend just got killed off few issues ago.
    end of spoilers

and who the heck wrote this crap?
    sir please try and stick with the 5 years reboot plots
    no need to bring out the past
    next thing you know
    new52 devolped lex will become the same generic old preflashpoint pity annoying lex we all got sick off.........
    Last edited by gtomanga; 07-27-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    So Jurgens brought in Wonder Woman to give her blessing to Superman and Lois and then one-shotted her out of the story. Classy. And so longer after his death, Wonder Woman is still bearing the burden of her relationship with Superman in which she was used, abused and disposed of like trash.
    Wonder Woman is still in the story. She was right there in the last page fighting.

It really should be Lex, anyway, what with the way the arc was set up from the first issue. Its their fight, really. Superman's monster, Lex's city. At least in his eyes. Its painfully obvious that Diana was thrown in here only so Jurgens can use her voice to pontificate with cheesy lines on how glorious Lois and Clark are together. Its so not subtle. If you write the family dynamic well. that will stand on its own and require no need for hokey dialogue by other characters serving as your mouthpiece.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-27-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It really should be Lex, anyway, what with the way the arc was set up from the first issue. Its their fight, really. Superman's monster, Lex's city. At least in his eyes. Its painfully obvious that Diana was thrown in here only so Jurgens can use her voice to pontificate with cheesy lines on how glorious Lois and Clark are together. Its so not subtle. Another sign of poor writing. Tomasi and Gleason get across the strong family dynamic just fine without such hokey, blatantly agenda-driven dialogue.
    you missed the part where she said to this sups
    spoilers:
    that's hes smart/good call for creating that other human clark to trick ppl into thinking that he and clark are 2 different ppl?
    end of spoilers

wow WW your a dark heartless cold B""""
    giving that your lover just sacrificed his life to save everyone few issues back
    and now you wanted this stranger that you have 0 knowledge on his backstory and moments ago he just assaulted one of your team mate wail endangering the city by his dump action
    you want that guy to replace him?
    Last edited by gtomanga; 07-27-2016 at 05:05 AM.

She's having appropriate reactions in other titles like Justice league, its just that here she's just being written by a writer who brought her in not because he wanted to write Wonder Woman, but rather he wanted to make sure the ex-lover he didn't approve of spoke glowingly of the new/old status quo. That's the reason she has absolutely no emotional reaction to finding herself face to face with not one but two Clarks. That would necessitate acknowledging to some degree their past, which he's avoiding like the plague.

Basically everything she did here could have and should have been done by Lex. For the character's sake, I hope Jurgens is done with her next issue. I don't think Rucka will treat the past relationship with any more respect, but at least he's waiting a good while before having Superman show up in her book.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-27-2016 at 05:09 AM.