Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I don't get why some people seem so he'll bent against any solution that retcons in the broad strokes of Nuperman's history as the new origin of Superman. It's clear DC has long gotten rid of the Byrne origin and the last retelling (Secret Origin) didn't set the world on fire. There's no way to please everyone at this point,but the closest equivalent is to keep what worked of Nuperman,namely the origin,graft it onto the start of where Jurgens and co took over Post Exile and go from there. The best of both worlds I say.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I don't get why some people seem so he'll bent against any solution that retcons in the broad strokes of Nuperman's history as the new origin of Superman. It's clear DC has long gotten rid of the Byrne origin and the last retelling (Secret Origin) didn't set the world on fire. There's no way to please everyone at this point,but the closest equivalent is to keep what worked of Nuperman,namely the origin,graft it onto the start of where Jurgens and co took over Post Exile and go from there. The best of both worlds I say.
    Yeah this is basically how I look at it.

The pre-flashpoint world was "injured" and reformed into post-flashpoint. The wounds keep trying to heal, and it even seems like Pandora got a "blood transfusion" from the Wildstorm universe to strengthen the DCU's recovery.

I think Wally's arrival and reintroduction into history is the "scaring" of where the wounds were, aka the lost years, for the DCU. Like the scars we have in real life, it's skin that tries to mimic the lost skin as best as it can, but it can't ever quite get there. It's always a little off here and there. Maybe over time the "scaring" of the DCU will blend in more till it's as faint as it can possible get, but right now it's still pretty fresh.

I think Nuperman's origin will act as "skin grafts" for Superdad as he's "re implanted" in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I never said that the rocket was fake. But Mr. Oz appears to be a being of cosmic importance. The rocket could be something that was created by Mr. Oz. But the memories that Superman has of his home world could be implanted. His memories of his Kents could also be implanted and the memories of Lana Lang could also have been tampered with by Mr. Oz to believe that New 52 Clark was the real Clark. And, yeah, why wouldn't it be possible for New 52 Lois to also be a fake? The Superman family of the New 52 could easily just be a bunch of fakes created by Mr. Oz because the true Superman was kidnapped outside of time, along with his real supporting characters (at least Lois).
    So New 52 Krypto was fake as well since we see him jump into the phantom zone to protect New 52 Superman and Jor-El and Laura on Krypton when it was being destroyed and we see that Krypto watched him from the Phantom Zone ever since he was sent off Krypton in the rocket and watched him for most of his life when he was growing up in Smallville when he lost his parents when he went off to college and when he moves to Metropolis and becomes Superman and we see New 52 Superman come across him in the phantom Zone and free him so how do you explain that?

BANNED

I really don't wanna superman with new 52 origins, he clearly isn't that guy. sure that new52 would be the obvious choice for a new origin, but simply doesn't fit superman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    So New 52 Krypto was fake as well since we see him jump into the phantom zone to protect New 52 Superman and Jor-El and Laura on Krypton when it was being destroyed and we see that Krypto watched him from the Phantom Zone ever since he was sent off Krypton in the rocket and watched him for most of his life when he was growing up in Smallville when he lost his parents when he went off to college and when he moves to Metropolis and becomes Superman and we see New 52 Superman come across him in the phantom Zone and free him so how do you explain that?
    Simple. An animal familiar created by Mr. Oz to watch over "Superman." OR it could just be the real Krypto, but like Lana, Mr. Oz planted memories to make him believe that New 52 superman was the real superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    This might be their goal, and it makes as much sense as anything else, really. Post-Crisis already had its origin completely screwed, and Morrison's run was pretty well received. Morrison origin going into the Triangle era isn't the worst idea out there, and after that rookie year Nuperman mellowed out a lot so the personality conflict wouldn't be as severe.

I still maintain that reboots are a mistake and rebooting a reboot only makes it worse. But that ship has sailed, and I find myself absolutely ambivalent towards what DC does now.

Oh, I do need to download Superman #3 as well. Havent quite dropped it yet. And for Superlad (I told him I would) I need to do the same with New Super-Man.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I really don't wanna superman with new 52 origins, he clearly isn't that guy. sure that new52 would be the obvious choice for a new origin, but simply doesn't fit superman
    Huh? The origin fits Superman like a glove. It was written by probably the one guy in the industry (whose at least willing to work with DC that is), that understands the character the most. Basically it boils down to this: Morrison wrote it so you damn well better believe it fits Superman. ANY Superman. That's not to say the man is infallible and cannot write a bad Superman story. But an origin? He knows the lore like the back of his hand, he knows how to craft an origin, and he crafted a great one, that can serve as the foundation for any insert-your-prefix-here Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Huh? The origin fits Superman like a glove. It was written by probably the one guy in the industry (whose at least willing to work with DC that is), that understands the character the most. Basically it boils down to this: Morrison wrote it so you damn well better believe it fits Superman. ANY Superman. That's not to say the man is infallible and cannot write a bad Superman story. But an origin? He knows the lore like the back of his hand, he knows how to craft an origin, and he crafted a great one, that can serve as the foundation for any insert-your-prefix-here Superman.
    But the Kents are dead and Clark doesnt profess his undying love for Lois the moment he sees her. In the eyes of some, that means its not a viable origin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Too true. The latter way more than the former.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Too true. The latter way more than the former.
    Plus he was mean to some thugs instead of giving a finger wagging lecture in personal responsibility. Or something.

Also probably the term "dude bro" probably factors in somewhere.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Using Morrison's take as the origin and beginning to Superman's is at least a bit more palatable to my taste. I'd rather that then Nu Supes being a construct of sorts. That still won't get me to buy Action Comics or Superman since I'd like to read more about his formative years than some time jump, but I won't feel like I've been kicked in the teeth.

I know this may seem redundant but it really isn't, as while we've had a ton of discussion focusing on whether New 52 Superman will come back and what he is, I don't recall a single thread dedicated to the new/old Superman and just what his secret is. He purportedly has one that he doesn't know about according to Mr. Oz, so, I guess I wanted a go-to place for theories on what that secret is and what he really is.

My guess is right now that he and New 52 Superman are the same person. New 52 Superman didn't die, he got pulled into the timestream and was lost there. He's the being that Wally felt lost in the time stream with him for a brief moment before being pulled out for the Saturn Girl scene in Rebirth Special. I also am of the mind that Superwoman is going to be a planned finite minseries, slated to end at a particular point in time, probably 12 issues. The end of her story will see her disappear as well, also lost to the timestream via some sort of plot device. The result being, that Lois will find Superman who is lost as well. Together, they find a way out and end up on some alternate Earth. It is here they stay, reconnect, and eventually become lovers. All this while Lois still has the powers she got from the initial power surge on Superman's "death". What this does is negate the Kryptonian/Human incompatibility and they end up conceiving a child together. As the fetus grows, Lois's powers begin to wane. They're being "fed" in a sense to the baby. Eventually, by the second trimester or so, Lois is technically a completely normal human again. Also around this time, the Earth that they are on has a portion of it bottled by Brainiac Prime with Lois and Clark present at the time. They are bottled on Telos and Superman loses his powers. For some reason, these two in particular are experimented on by Brainiac, and have their memories wiped, and are transferred to a bottle of the post-Crisis Gotham City, their memories re-wired to make them think they are the Clark and Lois of that reality. After the events of Convergence, Clark, Lois, and baby Jon (who has both his father's powers and the artificial powers of his mother, which will cause oddities later in life), are returned, albeit older, to the Earth they originated from, all the while not even knowing it.
    I will say this, Sacred: I tried reading the Super Titles and it was a real chore. I don't understand what they are trying to do. It feels like their continuity is a big mess right now. I love the artwork in ACTION and I love Wonder Woman but neither of these could get me through that. It was like WHAT IS GOING ON??? I could make it through by not thinking.

BANNED

I like Morrison a lot, but new 52 origin was lackluster and forgetable. It didn't get track of trades buzz, it didn't catch.
    ok that superman got many origins after 2000s, but I don't think new 52 is any better. Ican't see this superman having that origin

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But the Kents are dead and Clark doesnt profess his undying love for Lois the moment he sees her. In the eyes of some, that means its not a viable origin.
    not even a bit funny
    Last edited by Tayswift; 08-01-2016 at 07:13 PM.

I like Morrison a lot, but new 52 origin was lackluster and forgetable. It didn't get track of trades buzz, it didn't catch.
    ok that superman got many origins after 2000s, but I don't think new 52 is any better. Ican't see this superman having that origin
    The first arc, essentially the "origin" half of Morrison's run, produced a look, attitude and story structure that even in its brief period of time was so popular that DC kept trying to find ways to reincorporate it in. It caught on plenty.

They're absolute fools if the t-shirt and jeans, lower-power leveled early days isn't incorporated into this Superman's origin.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-01-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Simple. An animal familiar created by Mr. Oz to watch over "Superman." OR it could just be the real Krypto, but like Lana, Mr. Oz planted memories to make him believe that New 52 superman was the real superman.
    There was also a time when New 52 Superman got sent back in time and took the place of his teenage self on the Kent farm before the car crash killed his parents he was able to talk to his dad and tell him about how he became a hero and to thank him for everything before being sent back to the future and his younger self comes back care to explain that as well?