Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Rachel Grey-Summers Sardorim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Rachel appeared in some way, yay.

  2. #17
    Askani'Son Drakeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    Rachel seemed to act more like Sancity in this with her manipulation of Scott and Jean and teaming with Sinister.

    I think having Nathan born in the future rather than the past ruins his ties to his family and the xmen. It turns hin into nothing more than the weapon against Apocalypse rather than the young boy loved by the team.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

  3. #18
    Rachel Grey-Summers Sardorim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Well, the original version is off limits because of how convoluted it is. This is easier to stomach as he's pretty much in Rachel's situation.

    Born to Scott and Jean.
    Born in a hellish future.
    Undergoes great hardships just to survive.
    Eventually goes to the Prime Universe (Past) and chills there.

  4. #19
    Askani'Son Drakeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Well, the original version is off limits because of how convoluted it is. This is easier to stomach as he's pretty much in Rachel's situation.

    Born to Scott and Jean.
    Born in a hellish future.
    Undergoes great hardships just to survive.
    Eventually goes to the Prime Universe (Past) and chills there.
    I have never found Cables origin to be all that convolted.

    And being born in the future as a secret weapon against Apocalypse by using the dna of two time travellers thanks to the manipulation of thier alternate reality daughter who now leads a future messiah cult is what you might call streamligned and easy?

    Its not reallt that different. Aside from the fact that Nathan has no ties to his parents. All the love they had for him is gone. Now hes just a test tube baby like Nate Grey.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

  5. #20
    Incredible Member RCX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    635

    Default

    The issue was fun but I agree when some say it's a missed opportunity. Also, I rather have them back with the team than having occasional (like every 6 months) duo adventures.

  6. #21
    Fantastic Member LocoSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    395

    Default

    God I love this book.

  7. #22
    Rachel Grey-Summers Sardorim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I have never found Cables origin to be all that convolted.

    And being born in the future as a secret weapon against Apocalypse by using the dna of two time travellers thanks to the manipulation of thier alternate reality daughter who now leads a future messiah cult is what you might call streamligned and easy?

    Its not reallt that different. Aside from the fact that Nathan has no ties to his parents. All the love they had for him is gone. Now hes just a test tube baby like Nate Grey.
    Rachel gets that thrown at her all the time and Cable's origin and back story is even more confusing as he's the son of an evil clone, gets infected with a virus and is sent to the future by Rachel and is raised in the future by Jean and Scott in cloned bodies after they were sent there by Rachel. Than Cable has an evil clone running around who possibly raped his lover and their son may not even be Cable's then she dies then he goes back to the past and jumps into the future and back many times.

    Copying Rachel's back story of being a child of Jean and Scott from a hellish future than heading to the past is far easier to explain.

    Plus in this is that Rachel still gets to exist, she wasn't written out like the X-Movies. Course the reboot prevents Jean and Scott's deaths and we know RR wants Cable in a Deadpool sequel so there's finally hope for Cable abs possibly Rachel on the big screen one day but I digress.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 07-28-2016 at 04:37 PM.

  8. #23
    Askani'Son Drakeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Rachel gets that thrown at her all the time and Cable's origin and back story is even more confusing as he's the son of an evil clone, gets infected with a virus and is sent to the future by Rachel and is raised in the future by Jean and Scott in cloned bodies after they were sent there by Rachel. Than Cable has an evil clone running around who possibly raped his lover and their son may not even be Cable's then she dies then he goes back to the past and jumps into the future and back many times.

    Copying Rachel's back story of being a child of Jean and Scott from a hellish future than heading to the past is far easier to explain.

    Plus in this is that Rachel still gets to exist, she wasn't written out like the X-Movies. Course the reboot prevents Jean and Scott's deaths and we know RR wants Cable in a Deadpool sequel so there's finally hope for Cable abs possibly Rachel on the big screen one day but I digress.
    But thats only when you pull out all the details. Simple origin: Cyclops' son was infected with a virus and was sent to the future for a cure. He comes back older and now a grizzled soldier. Thats all that needs to be said really. Same with Rachel. Shes thier daughter from the future who came back to prevent DOFP. My problem is taking away his family connections. Rachel still has the love of her parents before tragedy strikes and turns her into a hound. This origin has Cable be a test tube baby without love or being raised by his parents. Which is what shaped him into who he is.

    But I digress. Cause it doesnt really matter since this is non canon and part parody
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

  9. #24
    Incredible Member FlawedCoil82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Troy, Ohio
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    This book reads too much like a parody to me and it looks like one of those pizza hut xmen books of yesteryear.

    I love 90's X-Men but this just isnt doing it for me.
    I just dont understand that, especially for this issue. The "Essex Men" were a bit goofy but apart from that, I found this to be a "played straight" kind of issue where the serious elements FAR outweighed the goofy ones. That said, the next issues with "Lilapalooza" have me a bit worried that it will be too goofy. We will see...

    Apart from not getting my letter printed (probably was way too long), I found this issue to be very enjoyable and it finally got to focus on just a few characters instead of having a bunch of characters being more like background characters that don't do much. I hope future issues will allow some focus time for individual characters who, so far, have not had a chance to shine yet.

    But as MarvelMaster616 has said, it is CRITICAL (if you love the 90s X-Men) that you support this book! The 616 universe is no more "real" than this '92niverse is, so it is absurd to allow this great X-book to unfairly fail simply because it is not current "canon". If anything, X-fans should be thankful to have an opportunity to see the X-Men as they were in their glory years before Marvel corrupted them into the disgraced, shattered, unrecognizable, traitorous chumps that they are in the 616 books. It makes zero logical sense to me that one imaginary universe should automatically render another imaginary universe completely obsolete and "unworthy" of reading/supporting. There is plenty of room for both universes to exist side by side in equal importance to one another. I just truly hope that X-fans will figure that fact out before it is too late.
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 07-30-2016 at 03:01 AM.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I just dont understand that, especially for this issue. The "Essex Men" were a bit goofy but apart from that, I found this to be a "played straight" kind of issue where the serious elements FAR outweighed the goofy ones. That said, the next issues with "Lilapalooza" have me a bit worried that it will be too goofy. We will see...

    Apart from not getting my letter printed (probably was way too long), I found this issue to be very enjoyable and it finally got to focus on just a few characters instead of having a bunch of characters being more like background characters that don't do much. I hope future issues will allow some focus time for individual characters who, so far, have not had a chance to shine yet.

    But as MarvelMaster616 has said, it is CRITICAL (if you love the 90s X-Men) that you support this book! The 616 universe is no more "real" than this '92niverse is, so it is absurd to allow this great X-book to unfairly fail simply because it is not current "canon". If anything, X-fans should be thankful to have an opportunity to see the X-Men as they were in their glory years before Marvel corrupted them into the disgraced, shattered, unrecognizable, traitorous chumps that they are in the 616 books. It makes zero logical sense to me that one imaginary universe should automatically render another imaginary universe completely obsolete and "unworthy" of reading/supporting. There is plenty of room for both universes to exist side by side in equal importance to one another. I just truly hope that X-fans will figure that fact out before it is too late.
    I agree completely. The whole concept of a book not being "canon" shouldn't automatically discount it or undermine its quality. X-men 92 is every bit as fun, exciting, and enjoyable as any X-men comic. In fact, it's a lot less depressing compared to most other X-men comics not involving Deadpool because X-men 92 doesn't involve sterilization plots, Inhumans, or dead characters. There's no objective reason why it can't be on the same level as the mainline comics.

    And it's not like there isn't a precedent for an AU comic to succeed alongside the mainline comics. In fact, we have a very recent example in Spider-Gwen. That comic was never intended to be more than a tie-in to Spider-Verse, but it became so successful that it remains an ongoing series. Before that, there was a time when the Ultimate comics, including Ultimate X-men, actually outsold the mainline X-men comics. It has happened before. Ultimate may be defunct now, but the success of Spider-Gwen should offer some basis for making X-men 92 succeed. In many respects, it's an important comic because it provides a very clear alternative to the mainline comics. Some X-men fans might be turned off by a world where Inhumans get preferential treatment, major characters are dead, and the X-men have to be based in Limbo. Unless Marvel wants those fans to give their money to DC or Image, they'd be wise to offer an alternative and X-men 92 offers all that and then some. So its success can only help the X-men as a whole.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!


    Or if you want, check out my official publishing blog.

  11. #26
    Incredible Member FlawedCoil82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Troy, Ohio
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I agree completely. The whole concept of a book not being "canon" shouldn't automatically discount it or undermine its quality. X-men 92 is every bit as fun, exciting, and enjoyable as any X-men comic. In fact, it's a lot less depressing compared to most other X-men comics not involving Deadpool because X-men 92 doesn't involve sterilization plots, Inhumans, or dead characters. There's no objective reason why it can't be on the same level as the mainline comics.

    And it's not like there isn't a precedent for an AU comic to succeed alongside the mainline comics. In fact, we have a very recent example in Spider-Gwen. That comic was never intended to be more than a tie-in to Spider-Verse, but it became so successful that it remains an ongoing series. Before that, there was a time when the Ultimate comics, including Ultimate X-men, actually outsold the mainline X-men comics. It has happened before. Ultimate may be defunct now, but the success of Spider-Gwen should offer some basis for making X-men 92 succeed. In many respects, it's an important comic because it provides a very clear alternative to the mainline comics. Some X-men fans might be turned off by a world where Inhumans get preferential treatment, major characters are dead, and the X-men have to be based in Limbo. Unless Marvel wants those fans to give their money to DC or Image, they'd be wise to offer an alternative and X-men 92 offers all that and then some. So its success can only help the X-men as a whole.
    Exactly! I almost believe that fans today have been so desensitized by the years of hopelessness of the 616 X-world, that they now have no idea how to accept the X-Men as they once were from the animated show. I do not understand how people can see this team and not see that they are spot-on representations of the X-Men as they were in the show. Believe me , I watched the animated series religiously and know every episode by heart. "X-Men '92" is basically a time capsule of the animated X-Men (but not a direct continuation). Their sayings, mannerisms, etc. did not update with the times. Just as how if a kid now watched the animated series for the first time today, they would likely find it hopelessly cheesy, while for us (in the 90s) we did not see it as being cheesy at all because it all fit in with the times.

    What people obviously wanted was the 90s comic (not animated) team updated to the current times of now. And yes, overall I probably would have preferred that too ("X-Men Forever" tried that but completely screwed it up). However the title of "X-Men '92" does not lie. It gives us exactly what it promises: the animated X-Men as they were in 1992, only with all new stories taking place in 1992 that we never got to see on TV and which borrows some elements of the various comics and some modern ideas. But this book is not the 90s X-Men set in 2016.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

  12. #27
    Askani'Son Drakeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    You say this book shows fans what the x-men were like in thier glory years.

    But this book does not read like a 90's xmen book. Its more like the cartoon and makes the xmen celebrities rather than a feared and hated minority. Its too different to be a reflection of actual 90's x-men books. At least imo.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    You say this book shows fans what the x-men were like in thier glory years.

    But this book does not read like a 90's xmen book. Its more like the cartoon and makes the xmen celebrities rather than a feared and hated minority. Its too different to be a reflection of actual 90's x-men books. At least imo.
    I can appreciate your sentiment. However, I also think there's a context to consider. This series builds on the setup after the Secret Wars tie-in. In that book, the X-men fight and helped win a major mutant conflict that helped make them celebrities so to speak. So it has less to do with the era in which this series takes place and more to do with the setup of the previous arc.

    Also, the cartoon did have its share of moments where the X-men were hated and feared. Season 2 actually is the best example of this because it showed the rise of the Friends of Humanity. There were also pretty dark moments with Rogue and her biological father, who basically disowned her. So I think there are other factors to consider when you look at the tone of X-men 92. They may seem like celebrities now, but they've gone through periods like that in the comics. When the X-men first moved to San Francisco during the Matt Fraction run on Uncanny X-men, they carried themselves like celebrities for a while. It's one of those recurring themes in X-men. It's entirely possible that it could swing in a different direction if X-men 92 continues long enough, although that assumes Marvel will let it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!


    Or if you want, check out my official publishing blog.

  14. #29
    Rachel Grey-Summers Sardorim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.
    Posts
    6,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    But thats only when you pull out all the details. Simple origin: Cyclops' son was infected with a virus and was sent to the future for a cure. He comes back older and now a grizzled soldier. Thats all that needs to be said really. Same with Rachel. Shes thier daughter from the future who came back to prevent DOFP. My problem is taking away his family connections. Rachel still has the love of her parents before tragedy strikes and turns her into a hound. This origin has Cable be a test tube baby without love or being raised by his parents. Which is what shaped him into who he is.

    But I digress. Cause it doesnt really matter since this is non canon and part parody
    Still pretty confusing, so the change helps cut out a lot of the bloat.

    It's canon to this comic so it matters to its readers.

  15. #30
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    You say this book shows fans what the x-men were like in thier glory years.

    But this book does not read like a 90's xmen book. Its more like the cartoon and makes the xmen celebrities rather than a feared and hated minority. Its too different to be a reflection of actual 90's x-men books. At least imo.
    The book may be more of a reflection of the glory years than a depiction of them. There's some degree of meta-commentary involved. The X-Men are celebrities in the '92-verse as a way of showing them enjoying the same popularity they enjoyed in the real world during the '90s. These are X-Men who, in-universe, have their own cartoon, Sega Genesis game, Pizza Hut tie-in, Fleer trading cards and probably a movie deal in the works at Fox.

    Oh man, how funny would it be to have a storyline in which one of the X-Men has to go to Hollywood and negotiate for their movie deal.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •