Super Moderator

Default 10 Ways The CW's "Riverdale" Cast Will Infuse Classic "Archie" with Scandal & Murder

The cast "Riverdale" shares what sets their characters apart from classic "Archie" comics.

Full article here.

interesting. I guess for select millennials who remember Archie, this will be a sharp turn. Same for Generation X folks. Not sure about older folks if they'll be able to get into this from a nostalgia standpoint.
    How much do teens/Gen Y folks even know about the Archie universe? This is a somewhat odd way to (re)introduce them all.

Are there still concurrent plans for a new animated series? Maybe with updated character designs, some updated stories, but still lighthearted?

Just making something "DARK" doesn't make it better.

Fantastic Member

Can't read complaints over the hotness of Ms. Grundy...

I hope there's as hot of a dude for the female viewers (or non-heterosexual males)...I doubt anybody still thinks Luke Perry is hot. Or I could be mistaken.

Extraordinary Member

It's probably a really good move to start off with making Cheryl Blossom the unlikable Queen Bee of Riverdale and not Veronica.

That way the character won't get written into a corner as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DiarraHarris7y6 View Post
    Just making something "DARK" doesn't make it better.
    Amen to that.....

Amazing Member

Modern Archie played straight is season one of Dawson's Creek. Just replace film with music.

I like the idea of keeping the nostalgia angle by making it creepy. How else could you keep the 50s angle without either making it a period piece or make the wholesomeness bizarre. There would be similar outcry if they made the milkshake shop a coffee shop. Its a no win situation. Do it truthfully and alienate the intended audience. Update it and rehash Dawson's Creek (which is where Berlanti started, he wrote the Pacey and Joey plot) or do something original and left field with it.

The only thing that really bugs me is Archie's abs. I don't need Archie Andrews to have abs like that. And I'm 28 I can't be the Ms Grundy here.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So pretty much Archie's Creek, got it. Why do we even need the Ms. Grundy story line, I'm sorry but that's just creepy on so many levels. So are we going to have a younger version of Mr. Weatherbee? Or is Reggie gonna hook up with Veronica's Mom?
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 07-27-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Amazing Member

The more I hear about this show the more off putting it becomes. This seems like a poor mash up of Gossip Girl and Dawson's Creek which no one asked for, I wonder if the reason its starting as a mid season fill in is if the network has mixed feelings itself on it. Any Berlanti for the CW should be one they can get interest in to have a full season before it starts.

Afterlife With Archie is the best zombie comic I've ever read, so if the show wants to get that dark, I'm all for it. I'm anxious for this show to air; it sounds like a Twin Peaks version of Archie. It's important, however, the characters be consistent from episode to episode. Also, the writers/producers shouldn't do big events and then completely reverse them a few episodes down the line like they've done with Arrow and The Flash this past season.

Astonishing Member

This sounds horrible in almost every aspect. Mr. Lodge is in jail? Much of the conflict in Archie is supposed to be between the hero and Veronica's Dad. I wonder whether the new Sabrina, Moose, Reggie, et al. will be as off-model as these characters. This series could be the first cancellation of the fall season.

I think the show might last for at least a few years. But it will probably date terribly, partly because of the barrage of details included to make it seem current as possible, but more because this let's-make-old-innocent-series-dark-as-possible trend is just that, a current trend. It's strange how all other comics have been getting movies and shows for the past fifteen years or so that finally translate them accurately or at least capture their spirit, while we're getting...this. Ah, well. Gotta start somewhere.
    Last edited by MVE; 07-27-2016 at 09:14 PM.

vampireking40

This look as if it will be a great show. Bringing Jose and the Pussycat into the mix which I never knew were even part of the Archie series is going to be interesting. The cast looks great not sure about how certain characters are changed from how they originally look, but it should make a good change after all the change the made for Nick Fury in the Marvel universe seems to work.