Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What specific law are you referring to? What is the relevant text of the law?

I've covered some of the legal questions in earlier posts, but it doesn't seem to apply to what happened to Anna Maria Marconi.

http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post2189211
    http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post2192241
    I was referring to the rape one, but he committed all of those and more. I'm not criticizing the character for it, as that'd be like criticizing Carnage for what he does. It's not a complaint that Otto did it, it's a complaint that confusing pointing out the actual law and how it's not circumvented by 'same DNA' or 'love' is a criticism of the character.

I've mentioned it in the other thread, but even Slott doesn't use those excuses. He's addressed them before in his She-Hulk run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Octopus View Post
    I couldn't care less if it showed a preference for Doc Ock or not. What I do know is the run on Superior was one of the most, exciting, insightful, brilliant takes on a Spidey villain. We really got inside Otto's head, and saw all new nuances to his character, as well as expanding on established ones.
    Were we reading the same story? Slott didn't make up Otto's past. The book that did was much better.

He wasn't really expanded on either, or we'd get actual insight. For example: the biggest thing in Otto's life is that he was physically abused by his father. Then Otto goes on to do the exact same thing. But why? Otto was proud he wasn't a lowlife or a horrible person like his dad (in his mind) who resorted to brute force. Was this a last resort as he couldn't outsmart villains? Was the taste of power too good to pass up? Did he change his mind and feel his dad's way was, in fact, better?

Are you talking about the little girl? Because Otto never learned anything beyond putting a bandage on. He mentioned it in Secret War (where he was taken to outer space and went insane from Molecule Man's powers). He never took a class on it and had shown scoffed at the idea of the science when it didn't apply to what he knew. He was asked to save the life of Sue Storm and her child and told he had a choice to do that go go fight Spider-Man because of his ego and then go to jail. He chose to save Sue (the child was lost before he got there), but it was because he was nuclear scientist. He also ran off immediately aftewards to fight Spider-Man.

I really feel other stories already covered way more ground and what should have been covered was left too bare to call it 'insight'.

Fantastic Member

I'm gonna say that the series obviously wasn't intended to show a preference for Doctor Octopus, but that it certainly does read that way at times. I can see how people could interpret it that way, but the intent to show Peter as ultimately the superior is clear. Whether it successfully does that is up for debate, and I personally don't think it does a very good job of it, but the intent is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    Were we reading the same story?
    Yes. But were you paying attention to it though is the question.

Slott didn't make up Otto's past.
    Who claimed he did?

The book that did was much better.
    Again who said Slott made up Otto's past?

He wasn't really expanded on either, or we'd get actual insight. For example: the biggest thing in Otto's life is that he was physically abused by his father.
    Otto was never physically abused by his father. Just verbally. It was never treated as the biggest thing in his life. The relationship with his mother was far more pivotal. This is why the rest of your post is pointless. You are arguing about things that were never said and are flat out untrue.

Go drink some plasma.

Yes. But were you paying attention to it though is the question.
    That was what I asked you.

Who claimed he did? Again who said Slott made up Otto's past?
    You insinuated he did by saying 'We really got inside Otto's head, and saw all new nuances to his character, as well as expanding on established ones.' All of what Slott wrote was a reiteration and abridged version of another writer, who actually gave us the expansion.

Were you actually saying 'I like cliffnotes version of Doc Ock's past and development?'

Otto was never physically abused by his father.
    We see a panel of Otto remembering being hit by his father.

Just verbally.
    Both, actually.

It was never treated as the biggest thing in his life.
    Then why the emphasis in the comic when he remembered his parents? All he mentioned about his dad was that he violently took out his jealousy about his son and frustrations in life on young Otto. We never saw respect for the man for trying to make ends meet and keep rent. We never saw memories like fishing trips. We never even saw a bit of remorse when his dad passed away.

The relationship with his mother was far more pivotal.
    She was barely mentioned, actually outside of her reaction to his father. We got three panels of her doting on him, refusing to let him near girls, and then encouraging studying.

This is why the rest of your post is pointless. You are arguing about things that were never said and are flat out untrue.
    That just backs up we rad completely different stories. Heck, we apparently read completely different franchises, given how you insult me over paying attention to the continuity of the character. Isn't that a bigger part of seeing how'We really got inside Otto's head, and saw all new nuances to his character, as well as expanding on established ones'? I's not like Doc Ock's a new character, so why should he be treated like one?

You're saying previous stories don't exist or are 'flat out untrue' in a comicbook series that started in the 60's. That's got more holes in it that the ones you excuse with a bad insult.

BANNED

Go drink some plasma.
    Okay, I know you're only saying this to make a crude insult against Moral_Gutpunch, but… what does this even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Okay, I know you're only saying this to make a crude insult against Moral_Gutpunch, but… what does this even mean?
    He's mocking my avatar, confusing 616 universe continuity with the 90's cartoon continuity. He's probably using the fact that Morbius showed up in a cartoon as a way to shoo everything away as childish in lieu of his 'adult' ideas.