Super Moderator

Default Jack Davis, Founding "MAD Magazine" Cartoonist, Has Passed Away

Jack Davis, cartoonist for "Mad Magazine," and illustrator of magazine covers, movie posters, and album covers, has died at the age of 91

Full article here.

Invincible Member

Jack was a giant. Not just in the comics industry, but in the commercial art world.

Sad, what a talent. His celebrity illustrations were great. not to mention his EC and Mad work.

Truly iconic figure. He did some of the more grisly EC stories, was one of THE Mad artists, did multiple covers of Time Magazine, and his movie posters were also iconic. He did one of those videos with Stan Lee, back in the 90s, and came across as a friendly, regular guy who liked to fish and could draw the heck out of anything and make it funny. He was also a fellow Navy vet, so a salute, with an RIP.

I remember this from the back of comics in the old days.

BANNED

Aw, man. What a legend.

One of the most important cartoonists and illustrators in our culture. A giant.

Appropriately enough, last night's episode of Pawn Stars had a woman come into the pawn shop with a copy of MAD #1.

I immediately thought of Jack Davis and his great artwork. The woman who brought it in couldn't come to terms with Rick Harrison, though. She wouldn't go lower than $1500 and Rick wouldn't pay a penny more than $1400.

Nice to see an acknowledgement of the historical significance of MAD Magazine on the same day that Jack Davis passed away, though.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

It's nice that this gentleman's passing is noted for us fans. Growing up, I was a HUGE Mad fan, a love my son has inherited. I am sure I read much of his work.