Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Marvel will always be ahead of DC long term. That is the nature of the business. Marvel is one Rebirth style event away from trouncing DC.

DC's goal should not be to beat Marvel long term but to work diligently to close the gap between them in a meaningful way.
    Woow ....Wow completely floored you've even put up your avi with those characters, then. Yeah Marvel has done a lot of bulk work in building a diverse roster of characters with complex yet simple motives; still DC should be celebrated for righting the ship and as you said they SHOULD NOT try to be content or focus on Marvel. That said "DC will never win" is a cope out and just a losers mentality, plain and simple. The fact they've, at times, over compensated for the trinity and Batman (of course) has cannibalied their universe for years. That's a huge reason Marvel has had an edge. Marvels seemed a healthier more vibrant universe. DC is WAY behind but this new brand is them beginning to address their universe from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I read that comment as a bit of self-deprecating humour. The question was asking how it feels to have an event sell well and be well received by fans. Dan says it's uncharted territory. I think he's poking fun at himself, which is awesome.
    "Even a broken clock can be right, 2 times a day" is my new motto, these guys have always had a great attitude no matter what the situation around them was.

The true test is if they can maintain this level of excitement and success a year from now. I'm seeing the exact same kind of positive responses DC got with the New 52 reboot, but they ended up screwing themselves over with editorial micromanagement and constant changes of direction. Johns seems to be the architect this time, but with his recent promotions, his focus will be further directed away from the comics division. Didio, Lee, and Harras are still at the top, so time will tell if this umpteenth time they've been in charge of a reboot/relaunch will be different in the long run.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    That doesn't seem like a good attitude for a business to have. "Yeah, these guys are always going to be better than us, so let's not even try to fix that." Every business should strive to be the best in their areas.

And I really don't see what's so special and unique about Marvel that makes them impossible for DC to surpass.
    At the end of the day there are just more Marvel readers who buy comics every week. Marvel has had a larger share of the direct market for something like 80 - 90% of the time since the late 60's. Obviously DC should do everything they can to maximize their share but the goal shouldn't be to beat Marvel since thats going to push them to do the kind of things that lead to the nu52 fall off.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    The true test is if they can maintain this level of excitement and success a year from now. I'm seeing the exact same kind of positive responses DC got with the New 52 reboot, but they ended up screwing themselves over with editorial micromanagement and constant changes of direction. Johns seems to be the architect this time, but with his recent promotions, his focus will be further directed away from the comics division. Didio, Lee, and Harras are still at the top, so time will tell if this umpteenth time they've been in charge of a reboot/relaunch will be different in the long run.
    The New 52 suffered from lack of direction and an overall plan. It was a slapdash reboot meant to save DC from ruin. Its faults were specifically due to the lack of overall planning because everything was still up in the air well past when the first issue of Justice League was released. In fact, things were up in the air well, well after since they edited dialogue in the first batch of TPBs.

Didio and Lee shouldn't be allowed to talk. Every time Didio talks he manages to make people less excited.

The fact that DC seemed to be doing a mea culpa with DC Rebirth was one of the draws, so I don't want to hear him talk about the "success" they had with nu52. Didio is clearly clueless.

Seriously, Johns' first action as president should be to put a gag order on Didio.
    Last edited by Starsky_Hutch76; 07-28-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    The Five Earths Project
    http://www.5earths.info/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Good to hear.

Don't f*** this one up, DC. You're doing great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky_Hutch76 View Post
    Didio and Lee shouldn't be allowed to talk. Every time Didio talks he manages to make people less excited.

The fact that DC seemed to be doing a mea culpa with DC Rebirth was one of the draws, so I don't want to hear him talk about the "success" they had with nu52. Didio is clearly clueless.

Seriously, Johns' first action as president should be to put a gag order on Didio.
    Johns is President at DC Entertainment (multimedia), not DC Comics (comics)
    Pull List: Everything DC. Plus the all of the X-Men books, Deadpool, Invincible, The Walking Dead, and various other titles I can't think of at the moment.

Astonishing Member

Your comments seems biased. Whatever they're saying seems perfectly legit to me.

Is it just me or does Didio not sound particularly thrilled that Rebirth has done as well as it has. Not that DC is doing well in sales, he seems glad about that. Just mad that this is what caused that amazing bump in both sales and fan praise. Maybe a bit like reality calling his baby ugly?

I think it's called "glossing".
    I've actually done DC the best thing I can do as a reader/fan:
    Avoid reading anything he says because no matter how good his intentions may be, he always puts a spin on things that will damper my interest.
    It's best just to look the other way.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    Is it just me or does Didio not sound particularly thrilled that Rebirth has done as well as it has. Not that DC is doing well in sales, he seems glad about that. Just mad that this is what caused that amazing bump in both sales and fan praise. Maybe a bit like reality calling his baby ugly?
    I felt that way too. I think it's getting to the point where even Dan Didio might want to step down from his position. His plans and ideas for the DCU failed, and now the exact opposite of his ideas is bringing DC new success. That's gotta sting.

I was under the impression that the idea to bring most of this stuff back was his own. I mean, the larger ideas of how to do it; plot, antagonists, and all that was Johns, but it was Didio who ordered the course of events that got to another relaunch in the first place.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I was under the impression that the idea to bring most of this stuff back was his own. I mean, the larger ideas of how to do it; plot, antagonists, and all that was Johns, but it was Didio who ordered the course of events that got to another relaunch in the first place.
    My impression was that New52 was Didio's 'I created this' DCU.
    I think Rebirth is a compromise, a meeting halfway, between his original vision and what fans (and retailers) wanted.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Remember the recent incident that Didio cites where fans at a convention walked out of a Q&A session, and Didio says that that's when he realized that there was a disconnect between him and the fanbase? I believe him. Yes, Didio ordered the relaunch; but the creative control went to Johns because of Didio's realization that what he was doing wasn't working.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.