All-New Member

Question Another Burtonesque Batman movie?

Hey,

So I was wondering what you guys think - will the Batman movie craze ever subside and perhaps allow some smaller studios to create a true adaptation worthy of the comics? All of the Batman appearances today are filmed in huge cities with an ensemble cast and an extraordinary budget. I miss the old movies like the Batman Tim Burton used to make. It was mostly done in custom-made studios, with imaginative makeup, costumes and an absurdity that really has its charm.

What do you think? Will the big studios ever back off?

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

The scale on which (blockbuster) movies are being made today (and superhero movies in particular) is obviously way bigger than 15-25 years ago. However, the Tim Burton Batman movie(s) was/were were also big studio movies in their time, with big budgets and names.

The 1989 Batman movie cost $48 million dollar to make and took another $10 million dollar for its marketing budget. That was a big movie!

The opinion that the Burton Batman movies were more imaginative is obviously debatable, although I agree. However, that is to be credited to Tim Burton and Tim Burton alone, right?
    Last edited by masahikotahara; 07-28-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

The Dark Knight

I think Batman '89 was the most expensive movie ever made at the time tbh. Then you had the extroridany marketing budget too.

All-New Member

Hey,

Well, yeah, both of you are right. What I meant to say was that Burton's style gives the film such an indie feel to it (from today's perspective). After him, the movies kept on getting bigger and less in touch with the comics. So, if a Batman film today were to return to the roots, it would have to be an indie production, I feel.

Also yeah, the 90's movies have that semi-serious trashy quality that I personally enjoy. Movies didn't have to be perfect, just unique.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

All I can say is I DEFINITELY want to see more gothic aesthetics, along with the noir, in Batman films again. Just some more surreal all around. I hate how Nolan largely rejected all that (instead aiming for hyperrealism (that was just as phony as Burton's world)).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    All I can say is I DEFINITELY want to see more gothic aesthetics, along with the noir, in Batman films again. Just some more surreal all around. I hate how Nolan largely rejected all that (instead aiming for hyperrealism (that was just as phony as Burton's world)).
    This. Gotham doesn't feel right to me unless it looks like Anton Furst designed it and everyone dresses like it's a bizarre but awesome mix of the 1940s and 1980s.

I can't imagine Affleck going in full Burton territory, but since he's also a fan of the comics and part of the shared super powered universe, he may embrace some more of the gothic weirdness than Nolan did. At least I hope so. Nolan's Gotham bored me to tears outside of the Narrows from Begins.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Nolan's Gotham bored me to tears outside of the Narrows from Begins.
    No doubt about it. Nolan's Gotham felt like your average normal city. I hope Affleck puts the real Gotham on the screen.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    No doubt about it. Nolan's Gotham felt like your average normal city. I hope Affleck puts the real Gotham on the screen.
    His Gotham was just Chicago. Burton's was a whole set made from scratch. Fat chance of that happening again, unless it's with CGI, which could go very wrong if handled poorly.