Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default So Moon Girl is the smartest person in the MU?

That's what the stories on Buzzfeed and Newsarama are claiming.

On one hand, I really appreciate the symbolism of having a black girl as a super genius, and apparently THE super genius.

It doesn't strike me as something that will stick though, and more than anything it seems like a desperate attempt to make people pay attention to a character that most have said a resounding "MEH" to (at least judging by sales).

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

So... she's just an extreme underachiever?
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

And what pray tell has she actually done that warrants this declaration?

BANNED

honestly...shouldn't the smartest character of a publisher's universe always be written by the publisher's smartest writer.....smartness is quite a relative and too complex of a concept to rank

That's why I think the best work of a super genius is Alan Moore's Jack B Quick....i doubt Lunetta's comes anywhere close to that, without going into "do anything" gadgets

Isn't she like 5 years old or something?

BANNED

Sigh, as if I don't have enough reasons to hate kid/teen geniuses...

BANNED

I hope she finds the cure for cancer and solves the terrigen mists problem, also build a prison that doesn't blow up on the next event

Who's going to be the smartest person in the MU after Devil Dinosaur eats her?

Mighty Member

On the one hand, I'm waiting for her to do anything that puts her on par with Val. On the other hand, Val and Reed are both outside of the traditional marvel universe so it can be argued that technically neither of them count.

Niffleheim

Science is so narrow a field, it is clear there ought to be only one cock of the walk!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Who's going to be the smartest person in the MU after Devil Dinosaur eats her?
    You go, Devil Dinosaur!!!!!!!

I kinda think the smartest person in the MU depends on the writer. Moon Girl may be the smartest in her books, but other writers dealing with characters such as Tony and (One day sometime) Reed may differ. Its a bit like how its the writer who chooses the winner of a fight, not the characters strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    So... she's just an extreme underachiever?
    ... she's 8 years old.

Anyway, I don't think this has been stated in the comic anywhere, (though have not read the latest issue yet) but she definitely is extremely bright for an 8 year old, so it would not surprise me to have them show a flash of the future where she was the next Reed Richards kinda thing.

But I will say to the people commenting on it's reception, that you and probably Diamond's core readers in general are really not it's target audience. I got my 10 year old niece a subscription to this for Christmas, and she LOVES the book so much, it's insane. (and just added a sub for Champions for her birthday because her reaction was so good to Moon Girl, and she also likes Ms Marvel and Hulk so it seemed perfect) My sister says she flips the **** out every time an issue arrives, and when she talks about it, her eyes light up and she just goes on and on, and it's pretty clear she is reading it very intently. She adores it. I was so relieved when the promo stuff for the new Marvel Now came around and it was not canceled. I know it's Diamond sales are not great, but I think it will be big in TPBs as things popular with kids often are these days, and I am hoping that Marvel understands that even if it's not got the strongest reception from it's core audience right now, it is an important piece in building the next generation of their readers.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    ... she's 8 years old.
    Valeria was doing far better when she was only 2.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-28-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I kinda think the smartest person in the MU depends on the writer. Moon Girl may be the smartest in her books, but other writers dealing with characters such as Tony and (One day sometime) Reed may differ. Its a bit like how its the writer who chooses the winner of a fight, not the characters strengths.
    Honestly I can't think of how she could be considered the smartest in any regard. What has she actually done that the best and brightest could or couldn't? Has she solves the Terrigen problem? No. Has she cured cancer? No. Has she built an interdimensional portal out of Legos? No. So what makes her so special in comparison to the numerous geniuses the MU has to offer?