Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Old timer comic book fan trying to get back into Marvel Comics. Whats there to read?

There anything good or decent to read in Marvel from a couple of years ago?

Im really not into today's new crap. Ill give you guys a list of stuff Im really not into

Civil War
    Civil War II
    the new current X Men stuff including the Inhumans nonsense

X Men '92 series Ill give a chance though.

Im not interested in the stupid Squirrel Girl.

New Female Wolverine aka X 23 I might be interested as long as she has new enemies and/or frenemies. Sabrethooth fued rivalry I got tired of decades ago with original Wolverine

Sabretooth never showed up on Laura's book, you're good.

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Give a chance to Marvel's new crop of legacy heroes. They are some of the best books right now.
    Squirrel-Girl is awesome but only if you are into lighthearted comedy and some morality stories, it's an all-ages book after all.
    Everything Lives!

Extraordinary Member

Try the Vision series. Totally unconnected to events, respectful of the character's history and very well-regarded.

Get the the current Vision series written by Tom King(it's ending at issue 12 so if you prefer psychical, probably just wait for the trade at this point) absolutely the best thing marvel has going for it right now. The current and the last run of Moon Knight have been very good to, as has All New Wolverine so far.

Incredible Member

Ultimates is my favorite thing by Marvel right now.
    Daredevil is a kind of classic-feel take on the character.
    Black Widow is pretty solid.

I'm not reading them but Doctor Strange and Moon Knight look excellent at the moment.
    Last edited by keeen; 07-31-2016 at 07:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    There anything good or decent to read in Marvel from a couple of years ago?

Im really not into today's new crap. Ill give you guys a list of stuff Im really not into

Civil War
    Civil War II
    the new current X Men stuff including the Inhumans nonsense

X Men '92 series Ill give a chance though.

Im not interested in the stupid Squirrel Girl.

New Female Wolverine aka X 23 I might be interested as long as she has new enemies and/or frenemies. Sabrethooth fued rivalry I got tired of decades ago with original Wolverine
    Well, as an old-timer, Marvel-Wise, I'm gonna recommend:

-Moon Knight: Great art, great writting, in general just a great book. Surely one of the best not only from Marvel, but from every company.

-Deadpool: It's more like a return to the Joe Kelly run, rather than the most famous Way one. It does away with boob and fart jokes, and actually delivers a pretty engaging story that take some rather dark turns.

-Carnage: I cancelled a while back thinking that it'd not last long, bu I picked up some random issues and boy, is it good. Plus, it looks as if it won't be stopping anytime soon. If you want a description, think a cross between Alien, Carpenter's "The Thing" and old-school Marvel Supernatural books like Tomb of Dracula.

Apart from there, I'd also cautiously recommend:

-Black Panther: I'm gonna be honest, it's an awful Black Panther book. It's more deconstruction and T'Challa is portrayed as bufoon instaed of a genius, warrior king. But, it's still a well written book set in Wakanda.

-Doctor Strange: I hate this book, truth be told, mostly because it features a more Stark-lite Strange, than anything that came before. If you're able to get past that, the book is actually pretty good. It has an old-school vibe, with a larger supporting cast of heroes, interesting locales, plus a lot of world building.

BANNED

I'm gonna recommend you stop being lazy and start check out previews and reviews.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    I'm gonna recommend you stop being lazy and start check out previews and reviews.
    I would ignore this advice. The reviews tend to be always glowing and the previews can be misleading. You can better judge from fans who've read the current crop of titles and ones who have similar reading experience and taste.

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    There have been totally new enemies and characters in general so yeah I can fully recommend All-New Wolverine.

Im also reading Black Widow and can only recommend that one too. I have to say though that it's a very visual series so there isn't that much reading. There is nothing wrong with that in a vacuum. It's just that it leads to finishing the issues pretty fast and I can certainly imagine that some people are unhappy with that when we are talking about a monthly series for 3.99.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Old fan?

I doubt there are many things for you atm. Unfortunately.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Vision is the best book Marvel is putting out, right now, IMO. I'm not sure it will appeal to old school readers, however.

I've only read one issue of Ms. Marvel, but I get the feeling she's a modern Spider-Man type character. I don't like Spider-Man, so it doesn't appeal to me, but she may appeal to you.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    I'm not reading them but Doctor Strange and Moon Knight look excellent at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Well, as an old-timer, Marvel-Wise, I'm gonna recommend:
    -Carnage: I cancelled a while back thinking that it'd not last long, bu I picked up some random issues and boy, is it good. Plus, it looks as if it won't be stopping anytime soon. If you want a description, think a cross between Alien, Carpenter's "The Thing" and old-school Marvel Supernatural books like Tomb of Dracula.

Apart from there, I'd also cautiously recommend:

-Doctor Strange: I hate this book, truth be told, mostly because it features a more Stark-lite Strange, than anything that came before. If you're able to get past that, the book is actually pretty good. It has an old-school vibe, with a larger supporting cast of heroes, interesting locales, plus a lot of world building.
    Between the character assassination of Doctor Strange and the 'make my eyes bleed' art of Chris Bachalo, the new Dr. Strange book is unreadable. I've waited for 20 years for a new Dr Strange ongoing, and to get this awfulness breaks my heart.

OTOH, my general observation, is that people who have never read a Doctor Strange book like the book. Old school fans, not so much.

I didn't know that about the Carnage book. May have to check it out -- and it is by Gerry Conway, who is Bronze Age old school at the very least.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 08-01-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mockingbird , All New Wolverine and Spider Woman are probably the best Books out there right now. At least in my opinion.
    Two of them feel mostly dicsonnected from the big events you don't seem to like.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 08-01-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I didn't know that about the Carnage book. May have to check it out -- and it is by Gerry Conway, who is Bronze Age old school at the very least.
    It's actually really, really good. It's got Cthon, the Darkhold, Man-Wolf, the Dwarf, and lots of other things in it. It's really unlike any other Marvel book. I just added it back to my list this morning. If you like Alien(s), the old Supernatural Marvel books (Tomb of Dracula, 70s Ghost Rider and the like), this is most definitely the book for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Mockingbird , All New Wolverine and Spider Woman are probably the best Books out there right now. At least in my opinion.
    Two of them feel mostly dicsonnected from the big events you don't seem to like.
    I'm not gonna comment on the quality of the book, but for old-time readers, this is most definitely not the title for you...

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    It's actually really, really good. It's got Cthon, the Darkhold, Man-Wolf, the Dwarf, and lots of other things in it. It's really unlike any other Marvel book. I just added it back to my list this morning. If you like Alien(s), the old Supernatural Marvel books (Tomb of Dracula, 70s Ghost Rider and the like), this is most definitely the book for you.
    I bought them off the spinner rack when I was a kid! LOVED Tomb of Dracula. Will definitely check this out.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?