Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default So Moon Girl is the smartest person in the MU?

That's what the stories on Buzzfeed and Newsarama are claiming.

On one hand, I really appreciate the symbolism of having a black girl as a super genius, and apparently THE super genius.

It doesn't strike me as something that will stick though, and more than anything it seems like a desperate attempt to make people pay attention to a character that most have said a resounding "MEH" to (at least judging by sales).

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

So... she's just an extreme underachiever?
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

And what pray tell has she actually done that warrants this declaration?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And what pray tell has she actually done that warrants this declaration?
    taken an IQ test?

BANNED

honestly...shouldn't the smartest character of a publisher's universe always be written by the publisher's smartest writer.....smartness is quite a relative and too complex of a concept to rank

That's why I think the best work of a super genius is Alan Moore's Jack B Quick....i doubt Lunetta's comes anywhere close to that, without going into "do anything" gadgets

Isn't she like 5 years old or something?

BANNED

Sigh, as if I don't have enough reasons to hate kid/teen geniuses...

BANNED

I hope she finds the cure for cancer and solves the terrigen mists problem, also build a prison that doesn't blow up on the next event

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    So... she's just an extreme underachiever?
    ... she's 8 years old.

Anyway, I don't think this has been stated in the comic anywhere, (though have not read the latest issue yet) but she definitely is extremely bright for an 8 year old, so it would not surprise me to have them show a flash of the future where she was the next Reed Richards kinda thing.

But I will say to the people commenting on it's reception, that you and probably Diamond's core readers in general are really not it's target audience. I got my 10 year old niece a subscription to this for Christmas, and she LOVES the book so much, it's insane. (and just added a sub for Champions for her birthday because her reaction was so good to Moon Girl, and she also likes Ms Marvel and Hulk so it seemed perfect) My sister says she flips the fuck out every time an issue arrives, and when she talks about it, her eyes light up and she just goes on and on, and it's pretty clear she is reading it very intently. She adores it. I was so relieved when the promo stuff for the new Marvel Now came around and it was not canceled. I know it's Diamond sales are not great, but I think it will be big in TPBs as things popular with kids often are these days, and I am hoping that Marvel understands that even if it's not got the strongest reception from it's core audience right now, it is an important piece in building the next generation of their readers.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    ... she's 8 years old.
    Valeria was doing far better when she was only 2.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-28-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Valeria was doing far better when she was only 2.
    Val had the MASSIVE advantage of having Reed Richards as a father, and all the resources and support that comes with that. She had all the best technology on the planet readily available at her fingertips for her entire life, and guidance from Reed Richards among others. What a person does with their talents is based not just on how gifted they are, but the opportunities and resources available to them. And what Lunella has available to her is a lab that she scraped together from literal trash, and the only mentors she has in her life are of average intelligence who are actively throwing roadblocks in her path. She goes to public school, her parents are just your average middle class citizens of the MU. There is no way on earth they can give her the same sorts of opportunities Val had, not even CLOSE. So she could be just as naturally gifted as Val, but will never be able to accomplish the same sort of things simply because she lacks the opportunities to do so. If she had access to better technology and guidance...

Also, Val and Reed are not currently on Earth, and may even be presumed dead by the people of the MU, so technically do not count towards the rankings at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Honestly I can't think of how she could be considered the smartest in any regard. What has she actually done that the best and brightest could or couldn't? Has she solves the Terrigen problem? No. Has she cured cancer? No. Has she built an interdimensional portal out of Legos? No. So what makes her so special in comparison to the numerous geniuses the MU has to offer?
    And neither have any of the other top minds on the planet, even with all the money and resources they have available. So your point is what, exactly?
    Last edited by Raye; 07-28-2016 at 08:10 PM.

And neither have any of the other top minds on the planet, even with all the money and resources they have available. So your point is what, exactly?
    Yes they have. Outside of solving the Terrigen problem, these are things they've done. Wakanda has cured cancer but don't share it with the outside world and Reed has overcome time/space and penetrated to other universes. In fact, a teenage version of Reed did build a portal out of Legos. So my point is, what has she done that even comes within one iota of what the greatest minds have accomplished to be deemed the smartest?

... she's 8 years old.

Anyway, I don't think this has been stated in the comic anywhere, (though have not read the latest issue yet) but she definitely is extremely bright for an 8 year old, so it would not surprise me to have them show a flash of the future where she was the next Reed Richards kinda thing.

But I will say to the people commenting on it's reception, that you and probably Diamond's core readers in general are really not it's target audience. I got my 10 year old niece a subscription to this for Christmas, and she LOVES the book so much, it's insane. (and just added a sub for Champions for her birthday because her reaction was so good to Moon Girl, and she also likes Ms Marvel and Hulk so it seemed perfect) My sister says she flips the fuck out every time an issue arrives, and when she talks about it, her eyes light up and she just goes on and on, and it's pretty clear she is reading it very intently. She adores it. I was so relieved when the promo stuff for the new Marvel Now came around and it was not canceled. I know it's Diamond sales are not great, but I think it will be big in TPBs as things popular with kids often are these days, and I am hoping that Marvel understands that even if it's not got the strongest reception from it's core audience right now, it is an important piece in building the next generation of their readers.
    This.

Not reading the rest of the thread, so apologies if Im just repeating others.

Diamond figures dont carry the weight they once did. Digital and trade sales are what matters now, long-term. Sure, neither format is big enough to carry the industry as it currently stands, but the industry doesnt focus on those formats either, yet they're growing at a far greater rate than print sales are. Floppies matter in the short-term but they're a dying format while digital is the new tomorrow. And while the industry might not like that, there's not much they can do to stop it if they want to stay in business either. How does Moon Girl sell digitally? How will its trades sell? And if Marvel starts pushing her, (she did show up on that promo art a week or two ago so they very well might be) what'll those sales look like then?

And really, even if her sales aren't great on any format.....is that a surprise? I mean, come on, this book doesnt exactly have mainstream appeal. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur? It sounds like a indie band from the 80's.

But still, a child genius who invents stupid-crazy stuff and has a giant t-rex for a bestie? You show me a kid who isnt interested in that and I'll show you a future IRS auditor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Does this mean Marvel will have Lunella jump at least one grade ahead? If she's going to be the smartest person in MU she should realistically be with kids older her than school at the very least. Or is Marvel going to have her dumb it down in order to be in the same grade with kids her own age?

And why doesn't Moon Girl have her own Wikipedia page? I thought DisMarvel would be on the ball and have one made for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Does this mean Marvel will have Lunella jump at least one grade ahead? If she's going to be the smartest person in MU she should realistically be with kids older her than school at the very least. Or is Marvel going to have her dumb it down in order to be in the same grade with kids her own age?

And why doesn't Moon Girl have her own Wikipedia page? I thought DisMarvel would be on the ball and have one made for her.
    I suspect there are probably a couple reasons she hasn't skipped grades. First, there are probably socialization concerns. Her parents and the school may want to keep her with kids her own age, believing she'll have an easier time making friends. Second, it may be that, while she excels in math and science, her grades in some other subjects might be lower.

As for no Wikipedia page, neither Marvel nor Disney are in the practice of creating Wikipedia pages for their properties.