Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    ^While that's true, Marvel only releases two of these films at a time, and they got a whole host of characters to create content for.

I know Marvel would love nothing more than the turn back the hands of time and keep Peter in high school for longer than Stan Lee did. Hell, if they had their way he'd be Ultimate Spider-Man age forever. They believe the coming of age metaphor is stronger when he's younger, when's a boy who puts on a mask and becomes Spider-MAN. Where he has all the power and beats the bullies and saves the girl and always has a great one-liner when he never does in real life. Now they're stuck with this close to 30 year old manchild still learning the same lessons and being pushed out of NYC by younger heroes more suited to his old stories. Whoops!
    I just want to say this is probably the most accurate description of modern day Spider-Man that I've ever seen; and I want to thank you for putting into words what has been on my mind concerning it.

Sounds great to me, mostly for the following reason:

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One advantage is that it keeps Spider-Man distinct from the other MCU heroes, both the guys in movies and Netflix shows.
    There's a lot of natural drama to be mined out of middle to late high school and that kind of soap opera-ish element to Peter's social/private life is a great part of what makes him who he is, for my money. Could easily get 3 films out of him in school.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Sounds great to me, mostly for the following reason:

There's a lot of natural drama to be mined out of middle to late high school and that kind of soap opera-ish element to Peter's social/private life is a great part of what makes him who he is, for my money. Could easily get 3 films out of him in school.
    I just hope we're not stuck in high school with Spider-Man for the foreseeable future.

Astonishing Member

I kinda get the reason why they want him back in high school for the reboot, but honestly, I could do with Peter ageing out of high school after a couple of films (which he logically should given the MCU timeline).

It seems that 90% of Spider-Man media focuses on constantly reinventing that 'classic' period of Spider-Man history - namely the Stan Lee/Steve Dikto years (which includes Peter's high school and early college years). The Raimi films. Spectacular Spider-Man. Ultimate Spider-Man (both the comics, and the animated series). The Webb films. Now the MCU version.

So now the popular perception of the Spider-Man mythos is Peter as either a teenager or young adult struggling to balance his high-school/college life with his web-slinging (at which he's still a relative novice) while being hated by the public and media, slandered by J Jonah Jameson, and fighting the same old villains that include the likes of Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Vulture, Sandman, Electro etc.

Honestly, Venom and the whole Alien Symbiote arc is one of the few post-60's aspects of the Spider-Man mythos that has really stuck in the pop cultural consciousness.

I for one would like to see an attempt at an adult Spider-Man. Let Holland grow into the role. Let him gradually evolve into a veteran superhero. But don't keep him in amber as a teenage high-schooler for God's sake!

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Kevin Feige recently suggested that the MCU Peter Parker is going to stay in high school for a few films.

Do you guys think this is a good strategy?

One advantage is that it keeps Spider-Man distinct from the other MCU heroes, both the guys in movies and Netflix shows.
    As long as Spider-Man never does some stupid things like in comics, that is fine by me. Just don't kill him like Ultimate Peter Parker.