Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batgirl" #1 Restores Barbara Gordon's Gusto in the Wake of "Batman: The Killing Joke"

Wash away the sour taste of "The Killing Joke" with Hope Larson and Rafael Albuquerque's "Batgirl" #1, which celebrates the fan-favorite character.

Full article here.

"The sour taste of a woman defeated..."

This statement is ridiculous in the context. Ugh. Sometimes DC just makes me sick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post

This statement is ridiculous.
    I agree...

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

While we're at it, let's also wash away the sour taste of a lousy cripple over-coming adversity and becoming a hero despite a disability, right CBR?

Ultimate Member

Yeah, and that has nothing to do with the quality of TKJ specifically (because they had no plans to do that when Moore wrote that story). Basically other writers made something good out of crap (at least the Barbara parts of the story).

Spectacular Member

I flipped through it yesterday at the store, doesn't really look my kind of book, art or story-wise. Which is okay. Because I'm excited about that "humdrum" Batgirl and Birds of Prey series. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post

This statement is ridiculous in the context. Ugh. Sometimes DC just makes me sick.
    The reviewer made the statement rather than DC, surely?

Poor Alan Moore, though, writer of Halo Jones, constantly criticised for elements from a story he wrote nearly 30 years ago and doesn't particularly like. Clearly someone should travel back in time to 1988 and painstakingly explain to Alan Moore how his story would become a never-failing source of minor controversy in the 2010s
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 07-30-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post

Poor Alan Moore, though, writer of Halo Jones, constantly criticised for elements from a story he wrote nearly 30 years ago and doesn't particularly like. Clearly someone should travel back in time to 1988 and painstakingly explain to Alan Moore how his story would become a never-failing source of minor controversy in the 2010s
    Well, I started to just say CBR reviews, actually, but then I got thinking of all the decisions DC (as a whole) has been making recently.... and I thought that the latter would be pretty appropriate.

A sexually ambiguous "Fruit Bat" as an some what insensitive 80's character, would be the rage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post

A story that, according to my understanding, was made as an elseworld thing.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    A story that, according to my understanding, was made as an elseworld thing.
    Pretty much. I don't think the entire problem is that story exists, although there are likely people that take issue with that as well, but more that its become in continuity when it wasn't created to be. That gives it more weight to fans because now instead of an elseworld tale that has no effect on the goings on of the mainline universe you have a story that "matters".
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I'm very happy with Batgirl Rebirth #1.

...and i will say this: Yes, i can't wait till this whole Killing Joke thing blows over. I can't wait for everyone to go and work on new projects. The sooner we forget about this ridiculous adaptation, the better. Specially for Barbara/Batgirl.
    In an interview Tara Strong said that she's up for both animated adaptions of Oracle as well as the Batgirl of Burnside.
    Personally, i could see them do an entire 13 episode season out of several incarnations. The Burnside book is excellent of animated adaptation, and i always felt the same about the way things were set up when Stephanie Brown was Batgirl. A show like that would be awesome, where Oracle is training Stephanie as the new Batgirl. Batgirl Beyond!

anyway... i'm rambling. Peace!

BANNED

My question is WHY DOES THIS STORY ARC MATTER When Birds of Prey Rebirth takes place after it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    My question is WHY DOES THIS STORY ARC MATTER When Birds of Prey Rebirth takes place after it ?
    What's wrong with that? It takes place in its own bubble, free from the rest DC universe, where the writer has free reign just as long as she doesn't completely wreck the status quo. It's not like there was any danger of Barbara dying or anything.

The art was very disappointing. Not horrible but no premiere pizzazz to it. The 'new' Batgirl direction felt like it started in the middle of something and ended very underwhelmingly and ambiguously. The suspicious that Babs was Bats could have played out much more exciting. Fruit Bat was more interesting than the Sailor Moon wannabe villainess - hope she survives. Not really a grabber good line to quote either.