Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Alan Moore & Zack Synder reactions to DC Rebirth

I am so curious as to the reaction of DC:Rebirth from Alan Moore creator of the Watchmen along with Zack Synder's reaction, who would take it as a dig on them or should either party take it as such?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Here's your answer from an (OLD) interview with Alan Moore: "We were talking about the future of the Watchmen characters. We had been assured that we would be the only people writing them, that they wouldn’t be handed to other creators just to make a fast buck out of a spin-off series. "
    -
    "At the end of the day, if they haven’t got any properties that are valuable enough, but they have got these ‘top-flight industry creators’ that are ready to produce these prequels and sequels to Watchmen, well this is probably a radical idea, but could they not get one of the ‘top-flight industry creators’ to come up with an idea of their own? Why are DC Comics trying to exploit a comic book that I wrote 25 years ago if they have got anything? Sure they ought to have had an equivalent idea since?"
    Source: http://www.themarysue.com/alan-moore...mics-watchmen/

As for Zack Synder, he'd probably just praise it like every other fan and tell you to go see his movies.

Empty is thy hand!

Alan Moore would laugh and shake his head in disgust.

Zack Snyder would promote the latest products from Warner Bros/DC Comics.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I don't want to know. If Moore said something nice, I'd assume he'd been cloned by aliens.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

"Needs more Mntn Dew" - Zack Snyder, probably

"Get off my lawn!" - Alan Moore, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    I am so curious as to the reaction of DC:Rebirth from Alan Moore creator of the Watchmen along with Zack Synder's reaction, who would take it as a dig on them or should either party take it as such?
    I'm actually curious on your own reaction.

Nothing wrong with using existing characters, of course.

Practically all DC's present business depends on it. And massive majority of writers, including Alan Moore, do it from time to time...and it can clearly be a wonderful story telling telling aid.

But..for me...DC has gone way too far down this route. It's become an unwieldy disruptive prop rather than a useful aid. They have put character after character into the story telling mix...seeming to believe that big events and "charismatic" characters are more important than writing quality.

No doubt it will sell a few more comics. But I'm far from convinced it helps DC creative standing.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 07-30-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    "Get off my lawn!" - Alan Moore, probably
    I'm always shocked when I realize Alan Moore is only a couple of years older than Grant Morrison. They seem to be from two different generations to me.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    I'm always shocked when I realize Alan Moore is only a couple of years older than Grant Morrison. They seem to be from two different generations to me.
    He came out of the womb grizzled.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedvFury View Post
    Here's your answer from an (OLD) interview with Alan Moore: "We were talking about the future of the Watchmen characters. We had been assured that we would be the only people writing them, that they wouldn’t be handed to other creators just to make a fast buck out of a spin-off series. "
    -
    "At the end of the day, if they haven’t got any properties that are valuable enough, but they have got these ‘top-flight industry creators’ that are ready to produce these prequels and sequels to Watchmen, well this is probably a radical idea, but could they not get one of the ‘top-flight industry creators’ to come up with an idea of their own? Why are DC Comics trying to exploit a comic book that I wrote 25 years ago if they have got anything? Sure they ought to have had an equivalent idea since?"
    Source: http://www.themarysue.com/alan-moore...mics-watchmen/
    This absolutely makes sense to me though.

Why not use those creators to boost the Charlton characters the Watchmen characters are based on?

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    I don't want to know. If Moore said something nice, I'd assume he'd been cloned by aliens.
    Pretty much the theory I would have or that senility is setting in
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Non-Issue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    He came out of the womb grizzled.
    And bearded.

But on the initial topic, I doubt that Moore has any interest in what DC is doing (though if someone told him he'd probably disapprove)

I think both of them are, in very different ways, far beyond caring one iota about DC comics' latest relaunch.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Actually yeah I've never even thought about that before. I always assumed Grant was a lot younger.

Extraordinary Member

I imagine the reason creators don't create more original characters for either of the big 2 is because of ownership and $$$ (which is a lesson I imagine Moore learned a long time ago, himself). I mean, once said writer moves on to a different project, any decisions regarding the character or (for the most part) $$$ to be made from it is left with said previous project. Honestly, if I was a freelance writer in this field, I would probably just write for these two corporate juggernauts to pay the bills or work on characters I've loved since childhood, but keep any really good ideas for characters for myself. I imagine Mark Millar is making a killing, himself, right now.