Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Forever evil question

Hi guys. I wanted to start reading forever evil. Is it necessary to read every comic book in the story arc to understand it better or can I skip a few? And to better understand what should I pre read before I start reading forever evil? Thanks in advance

Amazing Member

I for one am just going to wait for the collected edition. DC seems to be really good about collecting crossovers and events in "creator-preferred" reading order, or whatever other intended reading order there may be - as opposed to Marvel which seems content to collect runs of various titles and let the reader suss out proper reading order for themselves.

You can read the Forever Evil in order and be fine, I would skip any main FE issues. I'd suggest getting the Justice League tie-in, its awesome. The ARGUS tie-in is very good too.

Skip the JLA tie-ins, awful.

I would say Trinity War would be good to read first, at least the last issue to see how Forever Evil gets started. As for tie-ins, the Justice League tie-ins are good because they really supplement it and kind of connect with the main story with a fight between two characters being part of an issue of both JL and Forever Evil. I would also suggest to perhaps read the ARGUS mini because it shows some of the consequences of FE while it's happening and it's pretty good too actually. The other tie-ins are not as necessary, but there are some good ones still. I'd also say the Secret Society #1 villains month issue is a good addition too for some character motivation. That's my thoughts anyway. The rest comes down to personal preference such as if you like Bane then Arkham War is alright or if you like the Rogues then get their mini too for awesome Mirror Master adventure

Read

Justice League of America #1-Trinity War issues (all leads up to TW and FE and they're pretty good issues IMO.
    Trinity War (the prologue to FE) which is in 2 issues of each Justice League, Justice League of America, and Justice League Dark.
    Stop reading JLA (bad unimportant issues) and JLD (a different FE story called Blight that doesn't effect the main story much)
    Read Forever Evil (the main story)
    Keep reading Justice League (some origins of the Crime Syndacite as well as other important events surrounding FE)
    Possibly read ARGUS and Rogues Rebellion (ties into the story, has Syndicate members or loyalists involved in these stories, a little less important but they are good stories).
    Skip Arkham War (doesn't involve FE at all other than the fact the JL is gone and such)

I would suggest picking through some of the Villains Month issues as well one in particular the Secret Society, which I think had some events of Owlman's Earth 3 history and the Outsider in particular.

Definitely skip JLA. It's a big waste of time unless you're like Manhunter or Stargirl. But you should read Trinity War to see Forever Evil build up. After Trinity war read Forever Evil and Justice League. Other than that, the other stuff is side stuff if you're curious to what's going on in other series.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygeekboi View Post
    I for one am just going to wait for the collected edition. DC seems to be really good about collecting crossovers and events in "creator-preferred" reading order, or whatever other intended reading order there may be
    The Forever Evil trade will only contain the 7 Forever Evil issues, which a shame because the Justice League tie-ins go hand-in-hand (like the Green Lantern tie-ins went hand-in-hand with Blackest Night).

Before the forum reboot, I posted a thread asking about a Forever Evil reading order of only the more interesting/good tie-ins, but I didn't get any responses. The list I came up with was;

Forever Evil #1
    Justice League: Secret Society
    Forever Evil #2
    Justice League: #24
    Forever Evil #3
    Justice League #25
    Forever Evil #4
    Justice League #26
    Justice League #27
    Justice League #28
    Forever Evil #5
    Forever Evil #6
    Justice League #29
    Forever Evil #7

For pre-reading I'd definitely suggest at least Trinity War. I went back to Trinity War after most the way through Forever Evil, and it put a lot into perspective. It might also be worth checking out the first five issues of JLA too, and Justice League 18-20 as they lead in to Trinity War.

I don't know about any of the other Forever Evil tie-ins, I never read ARGUS or Rogue's Rebellion, or the Suicide Squad tie-ins, and I avoided JLA because I heard it was bad. I read Arkham War though. It was a strictly average read and has absolutely no bearing on the Forever Evil storyline at all, so it's best not bothered with.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    The Forever Evil trade will only contain the 7 Forever Evil issues, which a shame because the Justice League tie-ins go hand-in-hand (like the Green Lantern tie-ins went hand-in-hand with Blackest Night).

Before the forum reboot, I posted a thread asking about a Forever Evil reading order of only the more interesting/good tie-ins, but I didn't get any responses. The list I came up with was;

Forever Evil #1
    Justice League: Secret Society
    Forever Evil #2
    Justice League: #24
    Forever Evil #3
    Justice League #25
    Forever Evil #4
    Justice League #26
    Justice League #27
    Justice League #28
    Forever Evil #5
    Forever Evil #6
    Justice League #29
    Forever Evil #7

For pre-reading I'd definitely suggest at least Trinity War. I went back to Trinity War after most the way through Forever Evil, and it put a lot into perspective. It might also be worth checking out the first five issues of JLA too, and Justice League 18-20 as they lead in to Trinity War.

I don't know about any of the other Forever Evil tie-ins, I never read ARGUS or Rogue's Rebellion, or the Suicide Squad tie-ins, and I avoided JLA because I heard it was bad. I read Arkham War though. It was a strictly average read and has absolutely no bearing on the Forever Evil storyline at all, so it's best not bothered with.
    I'd probably put Secret Society first, since it takes place before Forever Evil and came out before it all as well.

Also I'd add Justice League #30 to the end of that list just because of the implications from FE.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Read Forever Evil: Rogue's Rebellion as it was really fun. It only vaguely ties in but has lots of character and is action packed.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy View Post
    I'd probably put Secret Society first, since it takes place before Forever Evil
    I'm pretty sure Secret Society had a little note to say it takes place after the events of Forever Evil #1.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy View Post
    Also I'd add Justice League #30 to the end of that list just because of the implications from FE.
    Justice League #30 is the beginning of a new story. While it deals with fallout of Forever Evil, it won't really have much to do with Forever Evil itself.

All-New Member

I haven't read trinity war yet. Should I jus read the JL comics or the whole arc. (Sorry I jus started reading JL) I was stuck on batman for awhile.

I mean, if you really just want to read Forever Evil, you'll be okay just reading Forever Evil 1-7. None of the tie-ins are what I'd call "essential." They do add a lot of flavor to the event, and I enjoyed most of them, but there isn't really a crossover aspect to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariojr1984 View Post
    I haven't read trinity war yet. Should I jus read the JL comics or the whole arc. (Sorry I jus started reading JL) I was stuck on batman for awhile.
    If you only read the Justice League Trinity War chapters, you'll get the beginning and the end, and miss out everything in the middle. You'll want to read the two JLA and two JLD issues at least. I'd personally suggest reading the Pandora tie-ins too as they add to the backstory of the event (at least, the part of the event that's important to Forever Evil).

Spectacular Member

Read the main series and the Justice League tie ins if you want the core of the story.

The secret society issue has some cool backstory but a couple of pages will spoil the first issue so it puts it in an awkward place.

I recommend almost entirely avoiding the vast majority of Trinity War. Partly because it was nothing special but also because to really get the most out it you need to have read a couple of years worth of justice league and JLA and JLD issues and pandora and phantom stranger and so on and son on.

It would be good to read the final Trinity War issue though because that's where the CSA first make their grand entrance.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'd definitely skip A.R.G.U.S if I were you. I'd personally get Arkham War and Rogues Rebellion as I thought they were good. I liked JLA so I recommend that as well as the main JL book.

As for Trinity War I'd only recommend that if you were interested in the build-up to Forever Evil.