Super Moderator

Default POLL: What Did You Think of "Preacher's" Season 1 Finale?

What did you think of the season finale of "Preacher," and how the show is now set to fall closer in line with the Vertigo comic's stories?

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    What did you think of the season finale of "Preacher," and how the show is now set to fall closer in line with the Vertigo comic's stories?

Full article here.
    Love this show, Tulip makes this show go.

I have not been as enthused by the show as I would have liked. I can't figure out why - same thing with that AMC show Badlands - my kind of show but something about it seems "fake" (don't know how else to describe it) and it takes me out of the moment.

I am very surprised more people haven't commented on this series here on CBR. Such a cherished property being converted to the screen usually brings out the cries of anguish and flying accusations of betrayal.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the series. They cleverly weaved together the threads from Annville with the Savour plot to create the kind of well realised setting that is needed in a TV show. The casting was phenomenal, with Gilgun being the standout performance (no surprise to fans of Misfits), and Negga creating a fascinating character (is it a coincidence she was also briefly in Misfits? I guess it is).

My main criticism of the comic is the paper thin characterisation of Tulip, but I understand that fans who read this comic as young teenagers or even twenty somthings probably fell in love with her so the controversy over the choices made with Tulip are not surprising.

Besides character depth is not the strong suit of the Preacher comic, characters tend to be fleshed out through 'meaningful' flashback rather than ongoing dramatic development. The show has stuck with that flashback framework, but has introduced actual dramatic scenes that help us identify with and understand the characters.

The negative side of this is people moaning on social media that 'this isn't my Jesse' or 'she is good but she's not Tulip.' Ironically many of the things people moan about can actually be found in the source material if you look carefully.

I don't have rose tinted spectacles over the source material having only read it recently and thinking it was passingly good but a little dated and naive. So, I am delighted that AMC have taken risks and told solid character stories within the framework of a prequel. I for one don't particularly care if they now suddenly follow the plot of the comic because if you really analyse it there isn't a lot of plot to follow.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-04-2016 at 11:37 AM.

I love this batsh!t crazy show! Can't wait for season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I am very surprised more people haven't commented on this series here on CBR. Such a cherished property being converted to the screen usually brings out the cries of anguish and flying accusations of betrayal.
    They decided to tell what amounts to a different story using a bit of the comic's story line.

While I don't care for it, it's so far off that it's not even worth getting wound up about.

BANNED

Love the show

And you can tell after watching the Season 1 finale that next season is really going to start diving into the source material. Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy starting their trek across America to "find God" with the Saint of Killers hot on their trail. And Herr Starr is guaranteed to be introduced (we already saw the little tease of him).

They didn't even know if the show would get picked up for a 2nd season initially, so I don't blame them for deviating away from the comic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    Love the show

And you can tell after watching the Season 1 finale that next season is really going to start diving into the source material. Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy starting their trek across America to "find God" with the Saint of Killers hot on their trail. And Herr Starr is guaranteed to be introduced (we already saw the little tease of him).

They didn't even know if the show would get picked up for a 2nd season initially, so I don't blame them for deviating away from the comic.
    Dont get why studios continue to deviate from the story that made the book popular in the first place....its like putting orange rinds in water and calling it orange juice.