Super Moderator

Default "Howard the Duck" #9 Shines a Spotlight on Lea Thompson, Stays True to Gerber's Vision

In Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones' "Howard the Duck" #9, Lea Thompson guest stars as herself and helps Howard fight Mojo.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

The team takes a lot of storytelling risks throughout the book and, in doing so, stays true to the spirit of the original series by Steve Gerber, which was a metafictional and satirical take on comic books of the 1970s.
    I strongly disagree. Gerber's original series (which I recently re-read in the two omnibus volumes) used comics cliches in service of a satirical take on society (e.g., Anita Bryant's "decency" campaign) and mass-market culture (e.g., "Star Wars"). I was very disappointed when I read Zdarsky's and Quinones's first TPB and found that they had not followed in Gerber's footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by pogofan View Post
    I strongly disagree. Gerber's original series (which I recently re-read in the two omnibus volumes) used comics cliches in service of a satirical take on society (e.g., Anita Bryant's "decency" campaign) and mass-market culture (e.g., "Star Wars"). I was very disappointed when I read Zdarsky's and Quinones's first TPB and found that they had not followed in Gerber's footsteps.
    I agree. Though the new HtD is somewhat amusing, it has none of the sensibilities of Gerber's.