Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Rebirth isn't a reboot.
    Half-Reboot.. The characters have changed(news old costumes, old origins..)...

Is only a reboot with superman.

Right now, if in 5 years exist another rebirth, well... while DC not change things of Batman... It doesn´t matter.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-02-2016 at 05:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Half-Reboot.. The characters have changed(news old costumes, old origins..)...
    Except that hasn't happened either.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Except that hasn't happened either.
    Right Now.. It doesn´t matter.. rebirth already begun.

All-New Member

I'm really enjoying rebirth! Hopefully it continues for the foreseeable future however my bet is there will be another reboot before we know it, however I'm enjoying rebirth!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Pretty much this. They have a good thing going. And if they can keep it up for the next 5-10 years I say go for it!
    That's a generous estimate, my friend. I'll give "Rebirth" a shelf life of four years tops before they get the itch to change things around again.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The last reboot for DC was when the New 52 started in September 2011.

Rebirth is NOT another reboot.

Wally West that returned in the Rebirth special is a New 52 version of Wally West; NOT the pre-Flashpoint Wally. (Note that "nuWally" is simply a new character, and red-headed Wally's cousin.) The reason Wally has memories of Linda, the kids, and events from pre-Flashpoint is because while trapped in the Speed Force he was witness to many different events from previous continuities.

The Superman that is currently in the pages of all the books IS the pre-Flashpoint version of the character. He and the pre-Flashpoint Lois Lane were brought over to the New 52 continuity during Convergence. In addition, they have a son together, Jon. The New 52 Superman died recently just prior to Rebirth, a storyline in which the pre-Flashpoint Superman was a part of. This is also the reason there are two Lois Lane's running around (the younger New 52 Lois and the older pre-Flashpoint Lois).

The missing 10 years are 10 years out of New 52 continuity; NOT 10 years from pre-Flashpoint, in which somehow all the characters de-aged and rebooted themselves with new origins. Some characters are so completely different from their pre-Flashpoint counterparts that it would simply be impossible for it to all be part of the same continuity, even with 10 years missing.

Bottom line: pre-Flashpoint is not the continuity we're in now. The New 52 is not dead and gone; we're still in it! Rebirth is not a reboot at all, but instead a relaunch. "Relaunch" is quite a different thing than a "reboot," in which an entirely separate continuity emerges.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 08-02-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    The last reboot for DC was when the New 52 started in September 2011.

Rebirth is NOT another reboot.
    OK... Wally not have kids.. If this Wally is another N52 Wally....but the origins change....and I NEVER UNDERSTAND the case of superman.. with the multiverse repaired, the character should exist in Pre-flashpoint world.. and superdad be something like Trunks of the Alternative Future in dragon ball..

If the last REBOOT was N52... WHY SUPERMAN IS THE EXCEPTION? Unite N52 Superman and N52 Lois wasn´t imposible.. and less difficult than this.

This world always have a superman.. BUT This is not like Batgordon... DC is adapting the world and the rest of characters to Superdad Family.. These 3 character come of the old world... and all is for them.. I never understand this.. The child is the biggest reason for his permanence here after rebirth.
    I respect more them before rebirth than now, he was superman? He was disappointing me with this.

Clark Kent is Like N52 Superman in Batman/Superman Annual 2, even DC admits this Clark Kent is not fake...But, in this point... I guess it does not matter.. One day the characters who suppose a problem for superdad family will fall.. DC said this: We don´t want similar characters.

DC begin again with N52.. but they can not leave behind this kind of superman, neither the character... I should never return to superman..I was months with justice league without read superman, and when I begin, in less than 2 years, they change the character... DC has worsened the opinion I had before N52 about Superman, using the same version.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-02-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Rebirth is not a reboot but it is a relaunch.

I hope there is never a reboot again.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Fantastic Member

I think the current narrative probably sounds like this: Pandora was trying to get a soft reboot, but someone stole 10 years, makes it a much harder one. Rebirth Wally West is neither from New 52 or post-crisis, he's from the original soft-reboot.

As for how much of post-crisis continuity would ultimately return: DC would do any retcon as long as they think it makes business sense, they rebooted Stormwatch twice in New 52 without needing any crossover event, and they are currently washing away the New 52 Amazons in Wonder Woman. So except franchises that meet a bigger success in New 52 like Batgirl, anything would have some chance to return to a more post-crisis like state.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 08-02-2016 at 09:06 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That's a generous estimate, my friend. I'll give "Rebirth" a shelf life of four years tops before they get the itch to change things around again.
    An itch justifiably prompted by the inevitable decline in sales as readers move over to the newer shiny things that catch their attention.

BANNED

Just to define some terms:

If a hero changes his costume or his powers or something, but he still had his old costume or powers in his past, that's just a "change".

If a hero changes his costume or powers or something, and it's established that he ALWAYS had it that way (contradicting what was published before), that's a "retcon".

If you have so many retcons to so many characters that it's practically a whole new world, that's a "reboot".

(a "true" reboot would also start from day one with no previous history, but that has rarely been attempted).

Rebirth is a bunch of changes with a few retcons possibly thrown in. It doesn't justify being called a "reboot".

Fantastic Member

Comic book community have always called Zero Hour a soft reboot, and Rebirth is certainly bigger than that.
    It probably leads to a more complete reboot, depend on how the Watchmen plot will be solved. It could be the next shiny thing to catch reader attention for DC.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    The most astounding turnaround. was the one from the status quo established in Brightest Day that REALLY felt like it was going somewhere and then it was like the record skipped and all plans went out the window. The stuff that was obviously planned to follow Brightest Day, that Brightest Day set up, makes me believe the New 52 was a very sudden mandate and not one they spent a lot of time planning.
    I think a lot of long time readers felt like that. They had so much set up and going on so many series, and it all just dropped mid story line. At least with COIE we got another year or so of pre-crisis 'Tec and some other series to wrap up loose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    should there be? No.

will there be? probably at some point after the 2 years Rebirth is planned to take, possibly sooner depending on sales/internal politics
    ^^What he said. There will always be reboots, and those of us who were reading before them will always feel like "our" version of things was ripped away from us.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Comic book community have always called Zero Hour a soft reboot, and Rebirth is certainly bigger than that.
    It probably leads to a more complete reboot, depend on how the Watchmen plot will be solved. It could be the next shiny thing to catch reader attention for DC.
    Zero Hour changed reality. Thus far, Rebirth has not changed reality for the characters.

Not to mention, at some point during Zero Hour they replaced the original big bang that started the universe with a new one. That's pretty much a reboot right there.

This issue gives me such a headache.

It's best if DC does individual reboots on characters instead of the entire Universe...for now.
    Anything that gets the characters' foundations back to before Flashpoint and the New 52.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.