View Poll Results: Happy with All New Marvel?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 46.05%
  • No

116 53.95%
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Honestly threads like this are part of the reason I don't enjoy being a regular on here. There's a whole mess of arguing without either side really listening in full. Throw it in with a mix of bad history and bad phrasing you get a powderkeg that honestly in the era where this website can exist, shouldn't be excused or tolerated.

Does All New Marvel make me mad? No, not really. Do I like the entire current canvas, of course not. Do I think some changes have been awesome, yes. Do I think some changes are less appealing, yes. But this is the medium I am choosing to follow. I know how it works, I know how it's history is built. There really is nothing going on in Marvel comics that somehow makes me feel it's doing anything that makes me any less of a fan.

As long as the modern employees are telling stories they want with whatever characters they want, I welcome any addition or change up. Even if it may not be what I want, I'm completely open to giving it a shot. Because that's what being fair is about. Allowing the canvas to welcome characters of different aspects can open up new opportunities. But I of course also have to wonder if people are worried about what examples we currently have coming in, what happens when Marvel writers want to use characters with even less "accepted" taboos or from even known places, religions and nations? I suspect some of the same people will be playing the same game, just with the target having moved.

This ladies and gentlemen is one "ongoing" I can't wait to see cancelled.

BANNED

1. I like an item off of (shudder) McDonald's menu.
    2. This item is taken off the menu to make way for a new item, one that I'm not particularly interested in.
    3. I'm upset that my favorite item is taken off.
    4. I'm also upset because it was to make room for the new item, and I possibly resent that particular item as well.

That's how I view a lot of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    2. This item is taken off the menu to make way for a new item, one that I'm not particularly interested in.
    4. I'm also upset because it was to make room for the new item, and I possibly resent that particular item as well.

Or even better, what if McDonalds started replacing burgers with salads ?. After all, salads are much healthier.

I don't care if the chicken salad wrap (Wendell Vaughn as Quasar) is replaced with another item (Avril Kincaid becomes new Quasar), but I do care if the Two Cheeseburger Meal (Tony Stark) is replaced with tofuburger (Riri).

Replace too many of my favorites, I'll go see what Wendy's (DC) is doing, or better yet Chick-Fil-A (Image).

We can do this all day.
    Last edited by macattack; 08-08-2016 at 07:05 PM.

I think people (at least those that post) are more passionate about comic book characters than McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxHawk View Post
    I think people (at least those that post) are more passionate about comic book characters than McDonalds.
    Well, still is the same principle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    The definition I received in this thread for a "classic reader" required you to be white. Sorry. It's a pretty exclusive group.
    Of course only white people didn't read comics years ago. When POC come on here responding to complaints by long-time readers about
    what's happening to their favorite characters, one of the go-to responses is that the long-time readers have had their share of characters
    for 50 years and put a stranglehold on the growth of the industry, so it's time for characters who aren't primarily white, male, and
    straight. I don't know about you, but it sounds to me like straight white guys are the ones being addressed here. I don't understand why
    you have a smartass attitude about the makeup of the comic-buying crowd to this very day. It's very clear to me when somebody has a
    gripe about "classic fans" that doesn't have to do with numbering, it's directed at people like me; straight, white, male, and have read
    Marvel Comics off and on since 1975.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Mainly, I'm just saying that maybe Marvel is kicking the old-timers out the door a little too early, with no
    plan for when they're gone.
    Marvel isn't "kicking the old-timers out the door". I'm 47 and I love Jane Foster Thor, Sam Wilson Cap, Amadeus Hulk and am looking forward to Riri Williams as Iron Man (or whatever her code name ends up being). At the same time, I'm also looking forward to The Unworthy Thor, am loving Steve Rogers: Captain America, and expect Tony Stark won't be going anywhere once Riri Williams (and Doom) steps up.

Not every old fan is apoplectic over change. Some of us - likely much more than some might think - actually love it and feel that change and a forward thinking attitude is what makes Marvel what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Marvel isn't "kicking the old-timers out the door". I'm 47 and I love Jane Foster Thor, Sam Wilson Cap, Amadeus Hulk and am looking forward to Riri Williams as Iron Man (or whatever her code name ends up being). At the same time, I'm also looking forward to The Unworthy Thor, am loving Steve Rogers: Captain America, and expect Tony Stark won't be going anywhere once Riri Williams (and Doom) steps up.

Not every old fan is apoplectic over change. Some of us - likely much more than some might think - actually love it and feel that change and a forward thinking attitude is what makes Marvel what it is.
    So unless you believe in the Complex, how do you explain a second genocide for the X-men ?.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaxHawk View Post
    It's the same.

However you can add to that list-

Writer I like is being FORCED by management to writer minorities.

Writers I like lack the TALENT to write minorities. The lack of talent is writing minorities in those stereotypical ways that gets more Tyler Perry and less Dwayne McDuffie.

In other words any excuse to justify excluding minorities. Or express HATE for Duke Thomas according to Batman fans.

The definition I received in this thread for a "classic reader" required you to be white. Sorry. It's a pretty exclusive group.
    For all intent purposes-it's NOT. I would probably be considered one of those classic readers despite being a POC.

I could careless how many times Tony and friends get replaced because I DON'T BUY THEIR BOOKS.

There many ANAD Marvel I am not buying because it's easier to wait for that trade to hit the library or luck out if the comic cons has them very cheap.

Riri Williams as Iron Man is just a STORY LINE. That I will not be buying so why throw a fit? When he as been replaced twice?

Now why would someone think classic readers mean white? Because for many that is who they see throwing fits.

This goes for the female Ghostbusters, Static, John Stewart, Black Panther, Michael B Jordan, John Boyea, Duke Thomas, Inhumans and so many others.
    Same with the petitions towards IDW Mask & Rotten Tomatoes.
    MOST POC, LGBT & Women are not doing this unless they have a comment about the CONTENT of the story. Same with the white males who are not interested and can actually say that without extra commentary.
    Because it looks more like a complaint about WHO is on the cover versus what the product is about.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    So unless you believe in the Complex, how do you explain a second genocide for the X-men ?.
    LIke I told the folks who hate Duke Thomas-ask the guys in charge.

Drag them out to the carpet and ask what is the issue with X-Men.

If that is about movie rights-explain how that is being taken out on the comics-who have no bearing on the films.

And on the flip side when they get trade WORST than John Stewart & Cassandra Cain-X-Men fans can gripe.

Show me the books X-Men have been edited out of or the Inhuman & The X-Men Corps book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Unless you think this supposed "second genocide" will result in the cancellation of all X-titles, what is there to explain?

Whatever storyline that Marvel has coming up with the X-Men, it's just that - a storyline, one that will make life look incredibly dire for mutants. Because that's what comic book storylines have to do - make us worry for the well-being and survival of our protagonists. But, in the end, mutants will emerge on the other side of it intact - only to face yet another apocalyptic threat in a subsequent storyline.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    I don't care if the chicken salad wrap (Wendell Vaughn as Quasar) is replaced with another item (Avril Kincaid becomes new Quasar), but I do care if the Two Cheeseburger Meal (Tony Stark) is replaced with tofuburger (Riri).

Replace too many of my favorites, I'll go see what Wendy's (DC) is doing, or better yet Chick-Fil-A (Image).

We can do this all day.
    But why would you want to be fat and dead?

Also, Chick-Fil-A ain't Image, they're Jack T. Chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Unless you think this supposed "second genocide" will result in the cancellation of all X-titles, what is there to explain?

Whatever storyline that Marvel has coming up with the X-Men, it's just that - a storyline, one that will make life look incredibly dire for mutants. Because that's what comic book storylines have to do - make us worry for the well-being and survival of our protagonists. But, in the end, mutants will emerge on the other side of it intact - only to face yet another apocalyptic threat in a subsequent storyline.
    Well, you were the one talking about that moving forward is what makes Marvel what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    But why would you want to be fat and dead?

Also, Chick-Fil-A ain't Image, they're Jack T. Chick.
    You know, i prefer dying full and happy, than living forever hungry and angry.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    But they're not serving your favorites either.