View Poll Results: Happy with All New Marvel?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 46.05%
  • No

116 53.95%
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default All-New Marvel is Starting to make me All-Pissed

Hey I am new to this forum, thanks for reading my post! Anyway I have been a big Marvel fan all my life and have read 1000s of comics and there has been many thinks that I have loved and also not loved. However this new Universe Marvel has done a great job of screwing up IMO has successfully made my monthly subscription price go down. Now hear me out. I am not against blacks, girls, LGBTQ or any of the minorities but I am against them changing many of the most popular characters just so they can look more tolerant or perhaps so it doesn't seem they are racist or whatever they could possibly have used to justify their awful decision making. If they want to make a more diversified cast then by all means go ahead! But leave the main names out of it (i.e. Hulk, Wolverine, Iron man, Thor..) I mean it completely ruins those heroes for me and I know I am not alone. My fellow comic readers that I talk to almost all agree with me that Marvel is heading in the wrong direction. I Absolutely love the new Ultimates comic and that has 3 girls and a black guy with one of the girls being a lesbian so why cant they do more like that. But no, lets change 4 of the arguably top 10 most popular heroes completely. Sorry I am ranting but I just wanted to see what others are saying about this outside my friend circle. Please let me know what you think! As for now I am only Subscribed to all the Star Wars Comics, Moon Knight and Punisher from Marvel and have dropped all my other titles, looks like I might pick up some more DC.

Quote Originally Posted by ellerguy View Post
    Now hear me out. I am not against blacks, girls, LGBTQ or any of the minorities.
    Heeeerrreeeee weeeee gooooo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ellerguy View Post
    Hey I am new to this forum, thanks for reading my post! Anyway I have been a big Marvel fan all my life and have read 1000s of comics and there has been many thinks that I have loved and also not loved. However this new Universe Marvel has done a great job of screwing up IMO has successfully made my monthly subscription price go down. Now hear me out. I am not against blacks, girls, LGBTQ or any of the minorities but I am against them changing many of the most popular characters just so they can look more tolerant or perhaps so it doesn't seem they are racist or . If they want to make a more diversified cast then by all means go ahead!
    If you have to begin with pointing that out-that is not a good start.

That top 4? Lets see other than Bruce Banner & Tony-everyone else is still around.

So who is missing that prevents anyone from reading about them without DEGRADING minorities, LGBT & women?

It's annoying we keep getting these threads that seem to IGNORE what those books are about and focus more on WHO is on the cover.

I for one am happy with the direction Marvel is currently taking. I like the events, and there are some great books on the shelves (My favorites include The Ultimates, Old Man Logan, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Hellcat!, Mighty Thor & All-New Wolverine) That's not to say they are perfect, oh no. I would like to see more original characters and to see Marvel taking more chances on new character and storylines. I would also like them to stick to their actions more. Keep characters dead, do not go back on legacy changes (Really hoping Jane-Thor stays in the Marvel world for a while longer!) etc.

As for the main topic of the OP, I for one am all for Legacy heroes. For me, a superhero is not defined by their mantel or what they call their costume. They are characters. I love Jenifer because she is Jenifer, not She-Hulk. Same for Carol Danvers, and all my other favorite characters. I do not mind who wares the mantel, so long as they are interesting characters. It can also be a good chance for new characters to take the spotlight, and to explore how the same ideals and values can be differently explored (For example, I really love how Nick is showing Sam Cap and Steve Cap as having very different views actions on subjects).

If that's not for you then for enough, perhaps DC will be more to your liking, but I for one am sticking with Marvel.

Doesn't Steve have a book, and won't Thor Odinson be getting a new book in the fall?
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

This thread hasn't gone south yet, but it will.

You know OP, if this stuff upsets you, you don't have to read it, really, I mean that in the most sincere, non sarcastic, non condescending way that I can convey online. Find other things you like and move on. Most contemporary marvel books don't really interest me these days, so I decided to let go and move on. I check out the previews and look at events, but for the most part it feels like a big ball of blah and I've come to terms with it. Change is good.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Me? I don't care much about Marvel these days. They are slowly but surely losing me with these almost annual relaunches/reboots/restarts.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

I liked parts of it, Doctor strange, all new wolverine, and Hercules(dam marvel for canceling it Hercules was a great book) are my favorite things to come out of it, the rest i thought was meh, except for how the X men were treated, that pissed me off.

I have mostly been unhappy with ANAD Marvel. The books are just geared toward the next big event too often and the creators seem to be more focused on creating headlines instead of story lines.I have no problem with Amadeus Cho, Jane Foster, Sam Wilson or Riri Williams, but I wish we didn't have to get these characters at the expense of Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Tony Stark and Odinson. I am all for diversity, it is much needed and I love marvel giving the spotlight to new characters. I just wish they could find a way to do that without killing off, replacing, or turning older characters evil. It's hard to root and support these newer characters when I know that it means that an older character will be diminished in order to promote the new character.

I don't like Civil War II, especially after they killed Bruce Banner in a really dumb, anti-climatic, easilly avoidable way>
    But other than that I'm still enjoying it. Particularly Doctor Strange, JaneThor and Vision.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I have mostly been unhappy with ANAD Marvel. The books are just geared toward the next big event too often and the creators seem to be more focused on creating headlines instead of story lines.I have no problem with Amadeus Cho, Jane Foster, Sam Wilson or Riri Williams, but I wish we didn't have to get these characters at the expense of Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Tony Stark and Odinson. I am all for diversity, it is much needed and I love marvel giving the spotlight to new characters. I just wish they could find a way to do that without killing off, replacing, or turning older characters evil. It's hard to root and support these newer characters when I know that it means that an older character will be diminished in order to promote the new character.
    Exactly my point! I didn't say I have a problem with the characters as I knew people would think I'm being a bigot or whatever I just don't like loosing some good characters in the titles I like.

All-New Member

Ha in no way am I degrading them, not sure what I said that implies that. I tried to make it clear that changing those main characters is what was upsetting.
    Last edited by ellerguy; 08-01-2016 at 08:44 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you have to begin with pointing that out-that is not a good start.

That top 4? Lets see other than Bruce Banner & Tony-everyone else is still around.

So who is missing that prevents anyone from reading about them without DEGRADING minorities, LGBT & women?

It's annoying we keep getting these threads that seem to IGNORE what those books are about and focus more on WHO is on the cover.
    Please reply with intelligence not pushing your I'm being degrading, racist or whatever agenda. I don't think I implied anywhere I don't like it because of those reasons in fact giving the example of loving the ultimates was evidence for that. I simply don't like loosing beloved characters with rich history for something completely different. If they want to introduce black, woman, and LGBT characters do so with new heros IMO. Just my thoughts and your entitled to yours. Personally I will just read other things (including ones with women and blacks and so on...��)

As a fan of the X-mens is natural not like the current phase of marvel however you can find some interesting titles and more than ever Marvel has invested in variety with several releases for all tastes which in itself is a good thing .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Heeeerrreeeee weeeee gooooo.
    Yes. Shouldn't there be a moratorium on these "I'm not racist but Marvel's really pissing me off with their diversity" threads? How many new threads on the same topic do we need where angry fans vent that their favorite characters have been stolen/replaced with females, people of color, etc.?

As a longtime Marvel fan who really loves current Marvel, it should be pointed out that these characters who have supposedly been taken away are still in play. Thor/Odinson will have his own book soon, Steve Rogers is still Cap, Tony Stark may soon step down as Iron Man but it's a safe bet that Marvel has big plans for him, Bruce Banner might be dead but solicits already hint that he may return soon courtesy of The Hand, and Wolverine might be dead but Old Man Logan should be old school enough to satisfy longtime fans looking for the "real" Wolverine.

If you really care about these characters and have been following them for years, I'd think it'd be interesting (as it is to me) to see them involved in stories that haven't been told a million times already. I'm excited to read The Unworthy Thor, I'm loving the Hydra Cap storyline, I'm eager to see where Tony's story is going, I'm excited to see how Bruce will return and what stories will follow, and Old Man Logan is a great Wolverine book - one that feels both classic and totally new at the same time.

Every fan has a right to their likes and dislikes but as someone who's been reading Marvel for decades, I love that change is a constant with these characters. It doesn't alienate me - it keeps me interested.