View Poll Results: Happy with All New Marvel?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 46.05%
  • No

116 53.95%
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Marvel isn't "kicking the old-timers out the door". I'm 47 and I love Jane Foster Thor, Sam Wilson Cap, Amadeus Hulk and am looking forward to Riri Williams as Iron Man (or whatever her code name ends up being). At the same time, I'm also looking forward to The Unworthy Thor, am loving Steve Rogers: Captain America, and expect Tony Stark won't be going anywhere once Riri Williams (and Doom) steps up.

Not every old fan is apoplectic over change. Some of us - likely much more than some might think - actually love it and feel that change and a forward thinking attitude is what makes Marvel what it is.
    If you go back and read my posts, you'll see that I'm actually buying all these new books from start to finish. The problem is that
    I'm much more the exception when it comes to people who have been reading awhile. People are pissed about all these changes
    happening at once. How you or anybody else thinks they should act about it doesn't matter a bit. They're still going to go away
    when they've had enough. It's not just comic readers that don't like change; the majority of civilization fears it. You can insult
    the people who complain about the changes, but you're not going to change the way they feel. In fact, every time you do, you're
    only steeling their resolve to never try anything new. And that's exactly what happens when somebody vents here. If you will notice
    the next time one of these threads starts, it's usually by somebody new to the forum. They have no idea that it's an ongoing debate.
    All they know is they need to talk about it with like-minded people, and go to the trouble of setting up an account so they can. Also,
    at age 47, you really don't have to stay in the loop about what you're supposed to think anymore. You can have unpopular views
    instead of trying to gain society's approval. You're a grown-up now with nobody to impress.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    If you go back and read my posts, you'll see that I'm actually buying all these new books from start to finish. The problem is that
    I'm much more the exception when it comes to people who have been reading awhile. People are pissed about all these changes
    happening at once. How you or anybody else thinks they should act about it doesn't matter a bit. They're still going to go away
    when they've had enough. It's not just comic readers that don't like change; the majority of civilization fears it. You can insult
    the people who complain about the changes, but you're not going to change the way they feel. In fact, every time you do, you're
    only steeling their resolve to never try anything new. And that's exactly what happens when somebody vents here. If you will notice
    the next time one of these threads starts, it's usually by somebody new to the forum. They have no idea that it's an ongoing debate.
    All they know is they need to talk about it with like-minded people, and go to the trouble of setting up an account so they can. Also,
    at age 47, you really don't have to stay in the loop about what you're supposed to think anymore. You can have unpopular views
    instead of trying to gain society's approval. You're a grown-up now with nobody to impress.
    You're strangely naïve. They have no idea it's an ongoing debate? Really? C'mon, man. Why should anyone care about the comic readers who fear change? Hell, why should anyone care about this so-called "majority of civilization" who fears change? You think change ever happens by worrying about the poor, hurt feelings of the fearful? Get out the way, slow-pokes. And are his views really unpopular? I think that depends on who you ask. How about you try responding without framing everything neatly within the parameters of your cute, little worldview.

Of course only white people didn't read comics years ago. When POC come on here responding to complaints by long-time readers about
    what's happening to their favorite characters, one of the go-to responses is that the long-time readers have had their share of characters
    for 50 years and put a stranglehold on the growth of the industry, so it's time for characters who aren't primarily white, male, and
    straight. I don't know about you, but it sounds to me like straight white guys are the ones being addressed here. I don't understand why
    you have a smartass attitude about the makeup of the comic-buying crowd to this very day. It's very clear to me when somebody has a
    gripe about "classic fans" that doesn't have to do with numbering, it's directed at people like me; straight, white, male, and have read
    Marvel Comics off and on since 1975.
    Oh man, I never knew you had it so bad. And I'm not being a smartass. I have sympathy for your plight. It's tough being in the minority. Ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    But they're not serving your favorites either.
    Well, Cassandra and Stephanie are back; so in my case, yes, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    You're strangely naïve. They have no idea it's an ongoing debate? Really? C'mon, man. Why should anyone care about the comic readers who fear change? Hell, why should anyone care about this so-called "majority of civilization" who fears change? You think change ever happens by worrying about the poor, hurt feelings of the fearful? Get out the way, slow-pokes. And are his views really unpopular? I think that depends on who you ask. How about you try responding without framing everything neatly within the parameters of your cute, little worldview.
    Because they spend a 100 bucks every month, instead of just $4 ?.

BANNED

Some people are pissed about all these changes happening at once. That's normal.

I personally don't care how anyone else acts. I only care about my own actions.

The "majority of civilization" does not fear change - at least not when it comes to accepting changes in social norms. All you have to do is compare the representation of women, POC, and the gay/b-sexual community in popular media in the past and now to know this. At one time it was shocking, landmark TV to see Ellen DeGeneris kiss a woman on her sitcom. Now no one would even blink at that.

And here's a shocker for you - if I say I enjoy something, I actually really enjoy it. I'm not buying and loving The Mighty Thor in an effort to gain society's approval. I buy and enjoy it because it's a great book and as a comic fan, I only spend my money on books that are worth it. Same goes for Sam Wilson: Captain America or Totally Awesome Hulk. Like most fans, I don't have unlimited funds and have to be selective with my pull list. If something's on it, it's because I genuinely enjoy it, not to impress anyone with my open-mindedness.

That's the thing - I think some people believe that people would only buy these so-called "PC" books because they're "good for them" or to score moral points of some kind but it's really just for the simplest of reasons - because they're excellent comics.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Like almost no one is mad about Kamala becoming Ms Marvel.
    Oh, they were mad when she was first announced.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    1. I like an item off of (shudder) McDonald's menu.
    2. This item is taken off the menu to make way for a new item, one that I'm not particularly interested in.
    3. I'm upset that my favorite item is taken off.
    4. I'm also upset because it was to make room for the new item, and I possibly resent that particular item as well.

That's how I view a lot of this.
    Pretty much. Although I'd add believing that McD's took said item off the menu to personally attack you.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxHawk View Post
    I'll start by saying I exclusively buy trades now
    Well that's a shame.

Invincible Member

Well, Cassandra and Stephanie are back; so in my case, yes, they are.

Because they spend a 100 bucks every month, instead of just $4 ?.
    And that what's hurting the market over all. Because when those people do go away who's going to replace them?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Pretty much. Although I'd add believing that McD's took said item off the menu to personally attack you.
    Or that adding more coffee options on the menu is a total affront to you because why should McDonald pander to coffee drinkers when I just want a hamburger?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel isn't "kicking the old-timers out the door". I'm 47 and I love Jane Foster Thor, Sam Wilson Cap, Amadeus Hulk and am looking forward to Riri Williams as Iron Man (or whatever her code name ends up being). At the same time, I'm also looking forward to The Unworthy Thor, am loving Steve Rogers: Captain America, and expect Tony Stark won't be going anywhere once Riri Williams (and Doom) steps up.

Not every old fan is apoplectic over change. Some of us - likely much more than some might think - actually love it and feel that change and a forward thinking attitude is what makes Marvel what it is.
    Well I'm 49 and I'm looking forward to Thor getting Mjolnir back.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well I'm 49 and I'm looking forward to Thor getting Mjolnir back.
    I'm stoked to see what happens in The Unworthy Thor. I think big things are going to happen for Odinson.

And while do expect that Odinson will be reunited with Mjolnir eventually, I also love Jane Foster as Thor and hope her version of the character will be able to continue for some time.

I'm stoked to see what happens in The Unworthy Thor. I think big things are going to happen for Odinson.

And while do expect that Odinson will be reunited with Mjolnir eventually, I also love Jane Foster as Thor and hope her version of the character will be able to continue for some time.
    Do we know why he is unworthy in the first place ?.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Or that adding more coffee options on the menu is a total affront to you because why should McDonald pander to coffee drinkers when I just want a hamburger?
    I think that this is more like replacing soda with coffee.

BANNED

Do we know why he is unworthy in the first place ?
    I would think that story will be told in The Unworthy Thor.

I do miss the days when Peter Parker was competent and not a second-stringer in his own book, let alone his supporting cast being well-used in the main title rather then in satellites or other Marvel books, but that's been a problem with ASM stretching from before ANAD Marvel .