View Poll Results: Happy with All New Marvel?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 46.05%
  • No

116 53.95%
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Just imagine if characters aged real time and stayed dead.

Mantle passing ain't no thang.

I will forever and always subscribe to the belief of: Don't like it? Well then don't do/eat/watch/buy/drink/wear/read.

If the thing you liked is no longer the thing you liked, go like something else until the thing you liked is the thing you liked again.

Don't be miserable. Find your bliss.

All-New Member

Hey thanks for posting people. I apologize to come off racist I guess that's just how people will see it. I think a few people understand where I'm coming from and decided to post about that so I appreciate that even if they don't share the opinion. I'll probably keep using this site to talk comics but some of these replies sure are frustrating. This country is getting frustrating. Aren't allowed to dislike something diverse just because you dislike it, nope it means you're racist ..

Not really digging the direction Marvel is taking either but DC and Image have been putting out amazing books. Along with dozens of other comic book companies making hundreds of other comics.
    And if it's Marvel you wanna read there's decades worth of material to go back on and read.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Incredible Member

I kind of agree with what the op is saying. I read Iron Man for Tony Stark's adventures as Iron Man not for some teen kid genius. If Marvel thinks plastering Iron Man on the cover is going to get me to buy it, sorry but I'm saving my $4.99 until Tony returns as Iron Man. Same goes for the Hulk.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes. Shouldn't there be a moratorium on these "I'm not racist but Marvel's really pissing me off with their diversity" threads? How many new threads on the same topic do we need where angry fans vent that their favorite characters have been stolen/replaced with females, people of color, etc.?

As a longtime Marvel fan who really loves current Marvel, it should be pointed out that these characters who have supposedly been taken away are still in play. Thor/Odinson will have his own book soon, Steve Rogers is still Cap, Tony Stark may soon step down as Iron Man but it's a safe bet that Marvel has big plans for him, Bruce Banner might be dead but solicits already hint that he may return soon courtesy of The Hand, and Wolverine might be dead but Old Man Logan should be old school enough to satisfy longtime fans looking for the "real" Wolverine.

If you really care about these characters and have been following them for years, I'd think it'd be interesting (as it is to me) to see them involved in stories that haven't been told a million times already. I'm excited to read The Unworthy Thor, I'm loving the Hydra Cap storyline, I'm eager to see where Tony's story is going, I'm excited to see how Bruce will return and what stories will follow, and Old Man Logan is a great Wolverine book - one that feels both classic and totally new at the same time.

Every fan has a right to their likes and dislikes but as someone who's been reading Marvel for decades, I love that change is a constant with these characters. It doesn't alienate me - it keeps me interested.
    Ding Ding, we have a winner of the thread, now can we merge this to the other threads that for some reason have to express their dislike for Marvel's push towards diversity? Thanks

This is why DC's Rebirth is selling better than what Marvel is putting out. Marvel is trying to replace the old guard with something "all new". While DC is Bringing back the old guard. Wally and Barry, Pre-Crisis Superman, Dr. Manhattan... I would much rather read about characters I know than Marvel's attempt at PC replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by ellerguy View Post
    Hey I am new to this forum, thanks for reading my post! Anyway I have been a big Marvel fan all my life and have read 1000s of comics and there has been many thinks that I have loved and also not loved. However this new Universe Marvel has done a great job of screwing up IMO has successfully made my monthly subscription price go down. Now hear me out. I am not against blacks, girls, LGBTQ or any of the minorities but I am against them changing many of the most popular characters just so they can look more tolerant or perhaps so it doesn't seem they are racist or whatever they could possibly have used to justify their awful decision making. If they want to make a more diversified cast then by all means go ahead! But leave the main names out of it (i.e. Hulk, Wolverine, Iron man, Thor..) I mean it completely ruins those heroes for me and I know I am not alone. My fellow comic readers that I talk to almost all agree with me that Marvel is heading in the wrong direction. I Absolutely love the new Ultimates comic and that has 3 girls and a black guy with one of the girls being a lesbian so why cant they do more like that. But no, lets change 4 of the arguably top 10 most popular heroes completely. Sorry I am ranting but I just wanted to see what others are saying about this outside my friend circle. Please let me know what you think! As for now I am only Subscribed to all the Star Wars Comics, Moon Knight and Punisher from Marvel and have dropped all my other titles, looks like I might pick up some more DC.
    As a rule of thumb, when discussing issues like this, anything that comes before a "but" is sort of erased in the eye of the reader. Putting a disclaimer doesn't mean you have carte blanche to then say anything under the umbrella subject without it being critiqued. Posters are evaluated on what they actually say, not what kind of disclaimer they put up before they say it.

To answer the poll, no I'm not "overall" happy with Marvel, because few comics are exciting me the way they used to back a few years ago (Bendis' Uncanny X-men, Gillen's Young Avengers, Fraction's Hawkeye were all INCREDIBLE); and the X-men in general is currently floudering, and they are normally my "happy place" (though they are still great characters; and I love Storm leading). It's always swings and roundabouts with comics, probably at the next relaunch I'll love the new teams and creative collaborations more. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-02-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Erythnul View Post
    This is why DC's Rebirth is selling better than what Marvel is putting out. Marvel is trying to replace the old guard with something "all new". While DC is Bringing back the old guard. Wally and Barry, Pre-Crisis Superman, Dr. Manhattan... I would much rather read about characters I know than Marvel's attempt at PC replacements.
    Rebirth is selling mainly because DC is basically giving their books away at $2.99 (and with subscriber discounts at most comic shops, you're talking probably $2.50).

While I'm sure many DC fans are happy to have the old guard back, DC's approach is, ultimately, a dead end. Let me explain:

One, they're going to have to raise the price eventually (I'm guessing six to seven months in) and that's going to kill their sales. DC has given their readers the idea that they can sell their books at a cheaper rate and when they go back on that, a lot of readers will just jump ship. They're taking a loss on their books right now in order to entice readers but they'd be better off being honest about what price point they can survive at. If anyone thinks DC plans on - or financially would be able to - keep their books at $2.99 for too long, they'll be in for a rude awakening on that front.

Two, catering to the old fans may make the old fans happy but it's a short sighted approach with short term goals. Marvel is building a new generation of readers while DC is just playing to the same aging fan base.

Rebirth doesn't interest me because it's just the same old, same old. Thumbing through the recent Batman issues, I just couldn't justify buying them. When I see Batman with Gordon on the rooftop next to the Bat-signal and talking to Alfred in the Bat-cave, I'm like...I've been here before. Like, a hundred thousand times over. It'd be like if in Amazing Spider-Man, Peter was still selling pictures to the Bugle and meeting the gang down at the Coffee Bean. It's boring. If what you primarily want from following comics is to exist in a perpetual bubble of nostalgia, isn't it cheaper to just re-read your back issues?

If DC fans are enjoying Rebirth, that's great. It's not for me, though. I'd rather follow a comic universe that is evolving and moving forward, not living in denial of the future.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 08-02-2016 at 07:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ellerguy View Post
    Hey thanks for posting people. I apologize to come off racist I guess that's just how people will see it. I think a few people understand where I'm coming from and decided to post about that so I appreciate that even if they don't share the opinion. I'll probably keep using this site to talk comics but some of these replies sure are frustrating. This country is getting frustrating. Aren't allowed to dislike something diverse just because you dislike it, nope it means you're racist ..
    Welcome to the internet of this hipster times. Dislike anything and you are automatically a ***ist or ****phobe.

Mighty Member

Why can't people enjoy the new legacy heroes AND be dissatisfied with the way the classic heroes are treated? I love almost all of the new legacy characters (I think TA Hulk and Miles Morales are the only ones I dislike, and the latter is most due to bendis' obsession with his pet and trying to put over the character on the real spiderman).

However, that's not to say I don't have my issues with them. Jane Foster as Thor is probably in my top 5 if not top 3 books right now, but it does kind of bother me that she is "Thor". I don't care what you tell me, his name is THOR Odinson, not just the odinson, just like loki is called lok, and angela is called angela, not odindotter.

Miles Morales could be cool, but I don't like that bendis writes him like he's the second coming of Christ and that he is called spiderman. The two names thing works for some charcaters (hawkeye, because kate took over while he was gone, and just didn't wanna stop when he came back, Captain America, because he is more of a symbol, and the two current captain America's are two different representations for a country that is a giant melting pot), but its kind of lame in the sense of spiderman. It made sense for him to be spiderman in the UU but we have a spiderman. I get that he is supposed to be telling "classic" spiderman style stories, but I'm still not a fan.

Theres this huge divide between marvel fans growing where if you hate the new characters, you're a racist, or if you advocate for all the new characters and want the old ones gone you're a PC SJW. Like I said, I'm loving a lot of these new characters and stories, but despite that, I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel at least a bit forced. But just because I have zero interest in reading about RiRi Williams, doesn't mean I hate black people or women. I don't care if you was a gay transgender middle easter cripple, that's not why I don't wanna read about her. I don't want to read about her because she's been around for, what, 5 issues? Why is she all of the sudden so important? She isn't really, she is part of an agenda.

Mighty Member

To be fair, DC is probably seeing a big increase just from their titles just not being garbage at this point.

Amazing Member

I think Marvel should be very afraid with current development in comics, Intresst for new Marvel comics are dropping hard while intresst in DC Comics after Rebirth keeps getting higher and higher+ it does not help that Marvel is already at war with their x-fans

I find all this Marvel/DC sales argument stuff exhausting. DC is seeing boosts because they relaunched stuff, just like Marvel sees boosts when they relaunch stuff. Marvel has huge events and relaunches stuff more often so they see spikes in sales more often.

Anyway I'm loving ANAD Marvel. You want to read about Tony or Peter or Steve or Carol? You can! You want to read about Laura or Sam or Miles or other Sam or Kamala? You can! Odinson's getting a book soon. Richard Rider is coming back. Everyone's still around (except Bruce :/), just now there are options! More heroes for everyone! Woooo!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Heeeerrreeeee weeeee gooooo.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you have to begin with pointing that out-that is not a good start.
    Why shouldn't he point that out? People are always getting accused of being against those things if they don't like Marvel's current approach. And in every thread, people like you pop up to take the mick out of people simply for trying to clarify their opinion. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jonte View Post
    I think Marvel should be very afraid with current development in comics, Intresst for new Marvel comics are dropping hard while intresst in DC Comics after Rebirth keeps getting higher and higher+it does not help that Marvel is already at war with their x-fans
    Many X-fans like to believe that Marvel is at war with them, even though reality continually disproves that belief.

Also, I don't think Marvel is especially worried or afraid about current development in comics. I suspect they'll be just fine.