Default Good starting point for Iron Man?

Is the 90' series a good start or later?

Really like the Tony Stark aspect and the movies so I really want to start reading

I friend of mine picked up the Iron Man omnibuses, I would say those are a good start.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

The go-to recommendation for the movie fans is usually to start with either Iron Man: Extremis or Invincible Iron Man volume 1: The Five Nightmares. The various omnibuses are also a good idea.
    My pull list
    A-Force, All-New Inhuman, All-New All-Different Avengers, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, The Ultimates, and Weirdworld.

Start with the most recent volumes written by Bendis.

Absolutely avoid the current Bendis books, there bad. I'd personally recommend

- Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis - A good 6 issue story that Iron Man 3 took bits from.
    - Iron Man by Kurt Busiek and Sean Chen Omnibus - The late 90s run that starts after the whole Heroes Reborn mess, a very good run
    - Iron Man Omnibus Vol 1. - A good classic run that contains the Demon in the Bottle story and the Doomquest story
    - Iron Man: War Machine - Late 80s story that involves Tony dying and leaving Rhodey the armor which directly leads to him becoming War Machine

While I haven't read them personally yet Armor Wars and Matt Fractions run are both also well regarded. Fraction's is probably the most well liked of the recent stuff, Gillen's run is okay but introduces a retcon about Tony's parents that a lot of people don't like, Taylor's Superior Iron Man was also okay but never got a good resolution, Bendis's International and Invincible Iron Man books have both been pretty poor and aren't' going in a good direction if your interested in the character of Tony Stark(or Rhodey, or Pepper).

Personally, I found The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares by Matt Fraction to be a great jumping on point.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I'll also recommend the Matt Fraction run. I believe half of it has been collected in omnibus format. The latter half of his run #500-527 didn't get the omnibus treatment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MutantMike View Post
    Is the 90' series a good start or later?

Really like the Tony Stark aspect and the movies so I really want to start reading
    Omnibuses are very big and expensive so I don't think it's the best way to start, you risk to get stuck with a lot of stories you don't like. Warren Ellis' Extremis it's a nice story and Fractions' run (that you can find in smaller and cheaper TPBs too) it's quite appreciated. I didn't really like the runs that followed so I don't feel like suggesting them.

Do you have Marvel Unlimited? That is a great way to test out books / runs.

As for the recommendations above my personal favourites are Iron Man by Busiek and Chen and the matt Fraction run for a more modern take while Demon in a Bottle, Amour Wars and Iron-Man Iron Age.

Great picks you guys. There are a lot of great stories, but if you want to see were most stuff that's going on now started MutantMike. It's pulled from Extremis and everything after. Some really amazing stories.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-02-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extremis would be a great place to start. I'm still looking to read more Iron Man stories, but I can say Extremis was what actually made me interested in Stark outside of Avenger stories.

Extremis bored me, but it is still worth reading, Fraction's run is great though, it starts with Tony dealing with his postion has head of SHIELD while dealing with the usual weapon leaks from Start Industries and go into him running from Osborne during Dark Reign. Gillen's run was okay, it got kinda boring when he went into space though. only read a few issues of Bendis' run, but since it's basicly setting up other characters taking over the Iron man mantle, it's not really the best place to go for Tony Stark stories.

I just checked Amazon and saw that the Kurt Busiek late 90s Iron Man omnibus is still available at reasonable prices. I'm curious about this run, would anybody care to detail the best aspects of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I just checked Amazon and saw that the Kurt Busiek late 90s Iron Man omnibus is still available at reasonable prices. I'm curious about this run, would anybody care to detail the best aspects of it?
    The whole series was great from the writing to the art. I'm sure you can find this cheaper on another site that's not Amazon.

Roger Stern should have gotten a co writer credit on that omnibus since he co wrote most of it,
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    The whole series was great from the writing to the art. I'm sure you can find this cheaper on another site that's not Amazon.

Roger Stern should have gotten a co writer credit on that omnibus since he co wrote most of it,
    Cool man. Thanks for the info. That makes purchasing it easier.