Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    All-New Member

To answer Lhynn's question Diversity is important because of Supply and Demand, minorities whom are fans want to see themselves represented in things they're fans of or are interested in that is the demand, the publishers at DC/Marvel then supply characters like Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Jessica Cruz and etc. Its also easy and profitable to market diversity as there are numerous media outlets whom are interested in shinning a positive light on these diverse characters and their stories. Example the view and Jane F Thor, The advocates/gay medias support of Midnighter and etc.

BANNED

Eh Plz Jessica Cruz aint even close to Miles or Kamala yet. And she only exists because a certain writer hates the existing diversity options in the GL Franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by etamogrey View Post
    To answer Lhynn's question Diversity is important because of Supply and Demand, minorities whom are fans want to see themselves represented in things they're fans of or are interested in that is the demand, the publishers at DC/Marvel then supply characters like Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Jessica Cruz and etc. Its also easy and profitable to market diversity as there are numerous media outlets whom are interested in shinning a positive light on these diverse characters and their stories. Example the view and Jane F Thor, The advocates/gay medias support of Midnighter and etc.
    I've always hated how the mainstream media only pays attention to comics when something like Jane Foster Thor happens. I mean, if they want to draw attention to those characters good for them. But they should show some enthusiasm for comics beyond that. Wally West coming back was a huge important moment for comic fans, and the MSM completely ignored it. That bias really annoys me.

Yes Harper is Back!

Suck it haters

BANNED

Why would you even care? Im from argentina and when i saw el gaucho i wanted to rip the book in half. It was one of the single most retarded things in reference to my country i have ever read. I dont care to be represented by people that dont know me or dont know my country, im perfectly happy with reading about people from other nationalities, as long as the story is good its fine.
    I only ask for quality, for good and interesting writing, thats what should be a priority. Everything else is stupid buzzwords and noise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    In a way, I do get where the outrage comes from.

In Spider-Man, it was the appearance of Cindy Moon aka Silk. Not only was her origin clumsily tied to Peter Parker's, but she exhibited better fighting skills and control of her abilities despite being locked up for much of her life in a bunker-like room because of story reasons.

She was annoying in Spider-Man, but apparently when she was inevitably shuttled off into her own title, she was a much easier character to take (I can't say for sure because I haven't read it but that's what I'm hearing). And is apparently better written off in her own book.

I think Harper had good showings in the ensemble story of Batman: Eternal. I think there is value in letting Harper breathe in her own title for awhile, that is if they really want to push her. I really don't see where she would fit or stand out among Batwoman, Stephanie or Cass.
    Yeah, give Harper her own solo title so she's not crowding characters who have earned their places. Let her sink someplace else where I don't have to choose between seeing characters I like versus having to look at Bluebell clutter up everything. I'd rather see more of Bat-Cow, who is far more interesting.

thats a great code name for harper! BLueballs

If Marvel can have Goldballs.....

All-New Member

I care because Miles morales is what got me into comics i mean i'd always watched the cartoons, movies i'd never actually been interested in reading superhero comics, but when Miles came around i was interested enough to take a chance and i was shocked by how much i understood the character i'd never actually related to a character like that in print before and from then on i became a lifelong comic fan and now here i am. I'm sure that people felt the same way about Kamala, Jaime reyes or even Kenan. I remember a fancomic in which Miles dressed in a grey hoodie and walked in a neighborhood he'd never visited to get some skittles and iced tea, it made me cry the same way Batman 44 made me cry but those things also left me feeling hopeful. Heroes that look like me made me feel Hopeful which is why diversity is important to me and others.

BANNED

Left me feeling hopeful
    Hopeful for what?

I don't really know what diversity Harper Rowe provides. She is a straight, white woman, like two other members of the Bat-Family. She is the eighth white member of the Bat-Family, the fifth woman, and at least the tenth straight one. I guess she provides representation for people with purple hair or gay brothers...
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Yeah she doesn't help diversity wise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I don't really know what diversity Harper Rowe provides. She is a straight, white woman, like two other members of the Bat-Family. She is the eighth white member of the Bat-Family, the fifth woman, and at least the tenth straight one. I guess she provides representation for people with purple hair or gay brothers...
    Exactly. The Bat Family has always had great female representation, almost gender parity since the 90s. If they wanted to increase diversity there are so many other things Harper could have been. But I guess purple hair and complete unoriginality was their priority.

Not even her name is original, it's 1 letter away from Roy Harper.

I just read All Star Batman.

And I am BEYOND livid at what Snyder made Bruce said in this book.

BEYOND livid.

BANNED

Wrong thread and what did Bruce say?

Sure Batman Franchise hasn't been bad on Women. It has been utter crap on POC and LGBT.

Screenshot 2016-08-10 at 5.11.01 AM.jpg

One of them. Hope it shows up.