Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Batwing instead of Harper Row, to temporarily replace Tim Drake

Before anything, this is just a theory, but when we look at the evidence it makes sense.

So, a while ago, when asked by a fan on twitter if he knew when would Harper Row be seen again in the comics, he said right way: "Detective Comics issue 943"...since then, many people have been wondering if this wasn't all planned way back since before issue 934...If Tynion already knew that he was going to have Tim being taken out of the equation early on, by Oz, and thought about Harper Row for a temporary replacement...Well, i gotta say, judging only by that alone, it seems so. But then again, last month Tynion spoke about the future of Detective Comics in a interview, and twoards the end of the interview, he said that he choosed to use all of this awesome characters, for many reasons, including what each of them brings to the team, and the fact that they weren't being used anywhere else at the time, but Editorial didn't let him use all of them right away, so when asked about the future of book and about what other characters did Tynion thought about using on Detective but couldn't right away, he said: "Batwing"...now, my question is, why didn't he even mentioned Harper Row? if she's indeed meant to temporarily replace Tim as some people have been guessing, shouldn't Tyinion at least have mentioned her along-side Batwing? The way i see it, Tynion is bringging Batwing to the book to stay in for a while (as Tim's temporary replacement, most likely) hence why the reason to mention him and only him, so i'd say that while Harper will indeed appear on issue 943 and maybe make some ocasional appearences from time to time, she's won't be a regular like the others, that place is reserved to Batwing in my opinion.

Here's the interview: http://capedcrusades.com/2016/08/24/...man-vs-batmen/

What do you guys think, and who do you want to see the most?

Better Batwing than Bluebird..

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

That's been my interpretation, as well. Plus, I really enjoy Batwing, and hope that Tynion can bring the same kind of care he's brought to Steph, Cass, Kate, and Clayface to Luke. Harper...eh, I'm still really hoping it's more a civilian appearance, following up with her after BRE, maybe comforting Steph and mourning, as Tim was a good friend to her as well. Batwing deserves some awesome adventures, and his experience would make him a great lieutenant for Kate to fill in for Tim.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mmm, I prefer Luke. A difference for the others he use a tech-suit, more like a full armor. Always I like that concept, is a different way to do the same things. Apart he is good with technology, is an extra. And he need some love, It's a good way to reintroduce him in Rebirth.

But for other hand I see Harper more. She is good with tech and computers, support with intel to the team and she has more potential with her interactions because her previous relations with Cass and Steph.

I prefer Luke but I see more logical Harper.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 09-23-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Incredible Member

Well, in a way, it looks like we are getting both! but only Luke will stay on the book as regular, and even when Tim eventually returns i see potencial for Luke to stay as a recurring-character, as for Harper, like any other bat-family member that is not a part of the main cast, i only see her making ocasional appearences, as for her coming back for issue 943 i see it as being natural since Tim's "death" should be acknowledged by everyone in the bat-family, so yeah i see her showing up and mourning a bit with the others.

Amazing Member

To me Batwing make sense, he was in Batgirl, to be her love interest, but They broke up, and he don't nothing there, so he can be be tapped more in Detective Comics.

Extraordinary Member

Luke has (like Duke) for me the problem that he is to similar to Tim (or at least pre flashpoint Tim). A character that is a regular member on a Batbook should be more unique imo.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That's been my interpretation, as well. Plus, I really enjoy Batwing, and hope that Tynion can bring the same kind of care he's brought to Steph, Cass, Kate, and Clayface to Luke. Harper...eh, I'm still really hoping it's more a civilian appearance, following up with her after BRE, maybe comforting Steph and mourning, as Tim was a good friend to her as well. Batwing deserves some awesome adventures, and his experience would make him a great lieutenant for Kate to fill in for Tim.
    I agree, I want Harper to stay a civilian for a while, or at least not be out in the field. Having her be the techie for the team would be great.

Luke and Kate would bring a good element to the book for their military history.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Luke and Kate would bring a good element to the book for their military history.
    The comic version of Luke wasn't in the military, that was only the animated version.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The comic version of Luke wasn't in the military, that was only the animated version.
    Well, crap. Good to know.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Haha, I made that error too. And I've read all of Luke's issues in the Batwing series, so I should have known better.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

He's an MMA fighter(ex I think) who owns his own tech firm.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    He's an MMA fighter(ex I think) who owns his own tech firm.
    Well, as much as we can tell from his last appearances in Batgirl, yes.

I really hope we get better for Luke soon!

Extraordinary Member

Luke would strike me as a better addition to the TEC team than Duke or Harper just because he's a different mold,than either of them. Right now, we've officially got Tim, Cass, Steph, Duke, and Harper all in the same age range of 16ish-to-17ish, and except for Tim, are all young, almost-rookie vigilantes. You slot Harper or Duke into Tim's vacancy and the similarities they share with him are going to come off as a bit like a bad substitution. Luke at least is supposed to be a peer for Babs and Dick while still being pretty inexperienced himself. He could occupy the liutneant's place that Tim left while being a different character; he's a tech guy like Tim but seems more practical in that he actually ran a business, he's more experienced than Steph and more educated than Cass but is also not quite as prolific as Tim was (even in the history suggested by the New 52 and Rebirth), and his authority would come more from his age than from his field time.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I suppose Luke would be a better choice for fans than Harper would be to take over Tim's spot on the team. That might eliminate the issue fans have of Harper coming in after Tim was killed and it makes a bit more sense as well. Now having said all of that I do have to say that I don't care a wit about Luke. The transition between David Z. and him was just so poorly handled with Batman claiming Luke was his "first choice" for the mantle when no such thing had ever been even hinted at before. That and the fact that at the time he came on the scene he came off as a bit too much like Nightwing for my tastes was a complete turn off to me. His later appearances in BE didn't help me to develop a liking for the character either.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG