Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Review Roundup: "Suicide Squad" Falls Short Despite Enjoyable Ensemble Cast

The early reviews for Warner Bros.' "Suicide Squad" are overwhelmingly negative and call the film "dour," "convoluted" and "uninspired."

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Warner Bros.' "Suicide Squad" overcomes flaws in its plot via "characters, stunts, and its own unapologetically strange brand of humor."

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The early reviews for Warner Bros.' "Suicide Squad" are overwhelmingly negative and call the film "dour," "convoluted" and "uninspired."

Full article here.
    55964327.jpg

Yeeaaa...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

So i should only go see the firat third of the movie to enjoy it, gotcha
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

Too bad, really looked forward to this. Well, saved me some ticket money at least.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

Not very surprising. Even the "good" reviews just paint the picture of a bad movie with even worse pacing.

BANNED

Can't trust critics further than you can throw 'em these days. They don't so much critique as compete to think up the snarkiest put-down, in order to garner themselves attention on Rotten Tomatoes. Sad!

And movie trailers/promotion are an even more insidious attention grab. They cost you money when you fall for them, whereas online reviews are generally free.

Media is about grabbing attention, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Too bad, really looked forward to this. Well, saved me some ticket money at least.
    I'm gonna see it anyway. I sometimes disagree with the majority of the critics and enjoy a movie anyway. Hopefully this will be one of those times. It would have been nice if they could have made a movie that the critics liked though, just because WB/DC need a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Can't trust critics further than you can throw 'em these days. They don't so much critique as compete to think up the snarkiest put-down, in order to garner themselves attention on Rotten Tomatoes. Sad!

Yeah, that's nonsense. Maybe there are a few online critics for whom that's true, but not for the majority.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Coming as someone who is a massive Marvel fan... man, poor DCCU cannot catch a break! I'm still gonna see this though when it releases Blighty side, whatever the critics say ultimately. But there's a lot riding on Wonder Woman and Justice League if this keeps up.
    Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 08-02-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Well, given that my reaction to the DCU movies so far has been the exact opposite reaction(I thought MoS was okay and then ended up enjoying BvS more than MoS, while the online consensus seems to be MoS isn't great and BvS is absolutely terrible) sounds pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Coming as someone who is a massive Marvel fan... man, poor DCCU cannot catch a break! I'm still gonna see this though when it releases Blighty side, whatever the critics say ultimately. But there's a lot riding on Wonder Woman and Justice League if this keeps up.
    I'm still going to see this movie, but it is kind of a bummer that this one sounds like it's not going to be the movie it could be. The premise sounds fun.

I do wonder if there's an R rated version of this movie which will show up on DVD, like BvS. That at least might be something worth looking foreward to.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Well, given that my reaction to the DCU movies so far has been the exact opposite reaction(I thought MoS was okay and then ended up enjoying BvS more than MoS, while the online consensus seems to be MoS isn't great and BvS is absolutely terrible) sounds pretty good to me.
    Yeah ultimately what long time comic fans think, what casual audiences who don't know the properties well think and what critics think is all gonna be different, and indeed even in comic fans there'll be differences. Personally I think I liked Man of Steel much more when I saw it on a second showing before seeing BVS, and thought BVS was decent if jumbled. So we might well really like SS, whether the critics do or not.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    So i should only go see the firat third of the movie to enjoy it, gotcha
    I'll have my full review later this week but, yeah, basically.

There's some really fun stuff in here even after the first half hour but the actual plot of the film is so uninspired and the villains so "Gods of Egypt" lame that most of it just lands up feeling like a badly conceived missed opportunity. And, yes, Jared Leto is by far the worst Joker to date.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Amazing Member

I'm inclined to trust in film critics less these days when complete rehashes (*cough cough* Force Awakens) and complete dumpster fires like Ghostbusters get generally good reviews.