Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Duke was pretty much just there. Literally anyone could have been there and it would play out pretty much the same. I'm not getting Tim vibes off him at all, in fact I'm not getting much of anything.

If he continues to be in the background so I don't have to pay attention to him, that's fine by me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krighton View Post
    So what's the deal with Duke..is he in training to replace Alfred. I can see a Driving Mr. Batman arc coming up soon.
    Hes surprisingly out of character, playing obedient boy with nothing to do. Not at all like he was depicted even in batman rebirth.
    I guess they want to do what they did with Tim Drake.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Duke was pretty much just there. Literally anyone could have been there and it would play out pretty much the same. I'm not getting Tim vibes off him at all, in fact I'm not getting much of anything.

If he continues to be in the background so I don't have to pay attention to him, that's fine by me.
    I think his appearances so far are funny. He just pops up once per issue to remind everyone he exists. I'd like to see him cartoonishly walk on panel in the middle of a serious scene, shout "DUKE THOMAS" and then leave.

I don't actually hate him, even if it sounds like I do. He's just not interesting at the moment and isn't being used well. If All Star makes him interesting, and he leaves King's Batman, I'd be fine with him then.

Glad it was this moment that popped to mind.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Another solid issue. Great art, fun lines from Batman, Alfred, and Waller, and the mystery of the Monster Men and Strange's plans deepens as Gotham and Gotham Girl fall apart.

King is kinda limited in what he can do with Duke since that's supposed to be what Snyder's plan on doing in All-Star. As for feeling like Tim...well, he has basically admitted he's treating/writing him like Tim before he officially became Robin, so it might be intentional.

Batman beating General Lane felt so satisfying. He's always such a colossal A-hole and gets away with it because Superman won't hurt him because he's Superman, but Batman does not have that compunction.

Batman looked so dejected at losing the Batmobile .

So did Psycho-Pirate set Gotham off on a murderous rampage that killed all those soldiers, per Strange's orders, by effecting his emotions? And that's just crushing him mentally to the point that he completely breaks once his parents are murdered? And poor Gotham Girl is now completely traumatized .

This whole arc went from 0- 100 really quickly
    A bit too quickly
    I mean Batgirl is referencing Gotham and Gotham Girl in Nightwing and in the same week Gotham basically turns into muderman
    Tragic
    I wish Duke had more to do besides sitting in the Batcave "training" which to me seems more like do nothing until Batman calls you in this book.
    I mean has he even worn his suit since the Rebirth issue? Oh is that only showing up in All Star Batman?

As someone who was just hanging around for the art I thought this issue was a huge step in the right direction. I'd give 0-3 2.5 stars (of 5) and issue 4 4 stars. First issue that really worked for me.

As I wrote in the Batman 4 Previews thread, issue 4 is really picking up the pace.
    For me the strongest issue so far.
    I am torn between Batman being able to enter the secured offices so easily, as I don't like him being portrayed overly super human, but the Waller line was hillarious.
    Plus the bat-mobile...

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I think his appearances so far are funny. He just pops up once per issue to remind everyone he exists. I'd like to see him cartoonishly walk on panel in the middle of a serious scene, shout "DUKE THOMAS" and then leave.

I don't actually hate him, even if it sounds like I do. He's just not interesting at the moment and isn't being used well. If All Star makes him interesting, and he leaves King's Batman, I'd be fine with him then.
    Yeah, it seams that King was asked to have Duke appear consistently in this title to kinda build up awareness and he is doing just that.

As for the issue, good stuff, thou I think Finch had bit of problems drawing Waller consistently.

Not bad issue, but King is still struggling with Batman voice.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post

I'm thinking he's only showing up for continuity's sake. I hope he's mostly just relegated to All-Star. The Rebirth issue was supposed to function as the prologue for both King's run and Snyder's series, so it wouldn't be far off the mark. I also just want ONE title with just Batman and no sidekicks. Least of all the newest brat to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Batman beating General Lane felt so satisfying. He's always such a colossal A-hole and gets away with it because Superman won't hurt him because he's Superman, but Batman does not have that compunction.
    It's kind of awesome that Superman can't hit his douche of a father-in-law, but his BFF has his back.

The two main Batman titles haven't been this good in ages. The art on both titles is good-to-great (especially Finch, who has never been my favorite Batman artist but is great here), and the writing feels more like Batman than anything since the start of the New 52. Damn this was a fun issue. The Batman in these two titles really feels like Batman again.