Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Amazing Member

With the exception of Dr. Doom, this list is f*cking terrible.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

WHY IS MYSTIQUE ON THIS LIST?

Even Shark Girl is a bigger threat than Mystique.

Magneto higher than Ultron? Yeah Magneto can screw us all over if he decides to stop giving a damn but Ultron has immortality and advanced tech on his side. Plus between the two, only Ulty is 100% evil and Mags is like 40%.

Do we still consider Galactus a villain? He's still a viable threat though.

Norman Osborn is a bigger threat than Kang? The only reason he managed to take over during Dark Reign is the fact that MU citizens are RETARDED!

Doom the best though.

John Romita's Mephisto interpretations were excellent and groundbreaking. Mark Texiera's version in Black Panther was also solid.

Out of the people mentioned, I'd like to see more done with Dracula. But I don't want him sympathetic. I'm done with sympathetic vampires. Blade's uniqueness has been diluted with all of these "The Forgiven" and whoever else exists out there.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    Doctor Doom is using Molecule Man's power here. Normal Doom can elevate himself to Thanos level temporarily in the normal course of events or manipulate events and people against Thanos but this is an aberration...
    But that's the thing. Doom almost always fights above his class. He has a far better record going up against other villains. He's fearless. Somehow he managed to hold off the Three Mad Celestials...cause Val asked him to. It's why Nathaniel and Val chose him for their plan to work. They knew at one point they had to fight the Mad Celestials but they needed someone to buy them some time. They figured Doom would find a way somehow.

The one they omitted on this list though is the Maker. He's as smart as Reed but with far less scruples.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-03-2016 at 06:32 AM.

The only 2 valid choices on this list are Galactus and Dormammu.

Galactus, Dormammu and Mephisto are the only ones on this list who are more powerful than Thanos. (With Mephisto and Dormammu only really being more powerful in their own realm.) Doctor Doom with prep could be just as dangerous. But in terms of who is the most dangerous, Thanos still outranks all of these characters. There are several character that are more "evil" than him, put in terms of what Thanos can do with his power, intelligence, and preparation, none of these characters really match up. Thanos also has a far greater kill count than Galactus, with having ended entire universes on several occasions.

I'm also seeing the scan floating around here of Thanos blasting fully fed Galactus off his feat. Incredibly impressive, but the very next page shows what happens when you mess with Galactus. Granted, Thanos still ended up getting the upper hand in the entire situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    What's the context?
    Was Gal very, very hungry?

BTW, High Evolutionary fought Galactus and they traded blows f
    Galactus returned to try and kill Thanos. Although it is impressive considering he was fully fed/ well nourished. In the end though, Galactus was being arrogant and not listening to Thanos about the threat he was about to release. This ended up almost killing Galctus, Thanos, and the entire Marvel Universe. So, once again, through cunning and intelligence, Thanos got the upper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    But that's the thing. Doom almost always fights above his class. He has a far better record going up against other villains. He's fearless. Somehow he managed to hold off the Three Mad Celestials...cause Val asked him to. It's why Nathaniel and Val chose him for their plan to work. They knew at one point they had to fight the Mad Celestials but they needed someone to buy them some time. They figured Doom would find a way somehow.

The one they omitted on this list though is the Maker. He's as smart as Reed but with far less scruples.

Thanos is actually written very similar way. In all honesty, Doom and Thanos are a lot alike. While Doom may not be as powerful, I'd consider him the most dangerous person on this list. Even without his Molecule Man/Beyonder powers. Also, Thanos was written very out of context in this situation. Why would Thanos, someone who has faced multiple nigh omnipotent entities, decide to spout his mouth off at someone he already considers ruthless? It was just an attempt to get a character out of the way, which is what the new Secret Wars really seemed to do. It was, however, a really good story. In all honesty, he didn't even need to be in Secret Wars. His popularity because of the movies is scary because now he's being included in comics he has no reason to be featured in. When that happens, he just becomes a hindrance to the overall story.

Bold claim to even suggest any of these are more dangerous than Thanos. I'd say Doom and Mephisto on a good day. Maaaaaybe Ultron, but that's it from this list.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Green Goblin is easily one of my fav villains, but his most dangerous plan was to change people into genetic slime.

No way is he more dangerous than Thanos. Not even close.

All-New Member

As an enormous Thanos fan, I'm going to have some measure of bias.

But...that's pretty much irrelevant, when the language of the article itself drips with bias, referencing a story to make a point under one character that, should one read it, counters a point made under another character. Sometimes the contrasting points themselves are even referenced--if his motivation is "always" X, then mentioning stories where it isn't, even noting that it isn't in those stories...the deck's stacked with the author here.

(I'm also going to again note that I really liked Secret Wars, but Hickman can't write Thanos to save his life. The scene with God Doom is beyond ridiculous in that sense. God Doom would *absolutely* destroy him, but that's not really what Thanos would've done. See also: everything else he did under Hickman.

But, mind you, I realize: Starlin's Thanos is not the Thanos that other writers/Marvel/whoever wants. And I mean that in terms of personality and motivation. Giffen and DnA were in the right field--PAD wrote him in Captain Marvel the same way once--but generally, reducing him to brutish thuggery is the order of the day, so my views are largely irrelevant. Amusingly, this also renders many of the 'arguments' in the initial article irrelevant, consdering the harping on 'endless planning', which he has not seemed to participate in for a very long time)

Ultron and Kang cause timetravel okay. Mephisto and Dormammu, I can see too. But if Doctor Doom's ambition for greater power (exhibited by him stealing Beyonder power in the first and third Secret Wars) make him a bigger threat then you should by the same logic consider Thanos a bigger threat then Galactus. Galactus is content with his place in the universe, and isn't looking for Infinity Stones to make himself even more powerful and threaten the natural order. The rest, no. I'm a big fan of Magneto, but he is not more dangerous then Thanos, he's neither more powerful nor more interested in gaining greater power or destroying the world.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J. Hayman View Post
    Ah, well, there it is. Thank you for the clarification. As for similarities, I didn't mean just physically (save for the cosmetic) but their relative histories and motivation. I defy anyone to sit down and succinctly explain the Anti-Life Equation; so far as (it's) purpose, Darkseid has always seemed more bent on slavery and destruction than Death as a concept, and while he seems to, perhaps grudgingly, accept his own inevitable demise (at the hands of Orion or whomever), Thanos actively seeks it. One might consider Thanos as a somewhat simplified and flighty version of Darkseid. Or not, I'm really tipping on the edge of just not caring. Nevertheless, thanks again for straightening me out, there.
    The anti-life equation is a thought virus. It's a type of mathematical proof that Darksied owns you and once you understand it you become enslaved. If life is "choice", anti-life is slavery.

mrdanthedeadman

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    ^ This. Exactly this.

Why didn't Apocalypse, Annihulus, Surtur, and Master Mold make the list?
    Whoever made the list didn't know the difference between Annihilus and Ultron... Read Ultron's blip again. It's kind of funny, but also kind of pathetic sadly... Especially to call him an evil space king... Though those of us who do know who Annihilus is also know he is pretty benign without his cosmic control rod.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrdanthedeadman View Post
    Whoever made the list didn't know the difference between Annihilus and Ultron... Read Ultron's blip again. It's kind of funny, but also kind of pathetic sadly... Especially to call him an evil space king... Though those of us who do know who Annihilus is also know he is pretty benign without his cosmic control rod.
    Except the time he tried to destroy Earth and the Negative Zone by creating a cascading Null Field/Barrier that was set to detonate after reaching critical mass. Back on 80s FF and Avengers.