Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    The way I hear it, Irish were the original Mexicans, in terms of the way mainstream American society viewed and treated them. They never had it anywhere near as bad as African-Americans, but they surely saw discrimination. I doubt any modern Irish-Americans have suffered any prejudice, and in 50 years, I doubt Latino-Americans will suffer any either.
    They suffer in the sense of the over-reaching consequences (esp. financially) of being so heavily oppressed in the past, and they do still suffer in the sense people will mock them for their accent "all in the spirit of fun", unaware how sometimes such actions continue to make people feel isolated and unwelcome. It's not "clean sailing through and through".
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    They suffer in the sense of the over-reaching consequences (esp. financially)
    Good point. The people most likely to get rich in the world are those whose parents are also rich.

people will mock them for their accent "all in the spirit of fun", unaware how sometimes such actions continue to make people feel isolated and unwelcome.
    Well I get that same crap for my Boston accent. It never occurred to me that I could pretend it is really hurtful and claim racism against Bostonians.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    What Kieran said. My great, great grandpa and grandma came over to America from Tyrone County, Ireland back in the mid 1800's. The Irish first started to deal with hate, bigotry and prejudice in England from the Catholics. When the potato famine hit, they immigrated to the US and no one would give them jobs. Store and companies would even hang signs out front saying "Irish need not apply".
    You would be correct. Story from last year... some university professor started saying the "Irish need not apply" thing was a myth.

A 14 year old girl using Google to research newspaper archives found proof that the professor was wrong, and such discrimination did exist
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Good thing I'm Northern Irish then

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vericc View Post
    Good thing I'm Northern Irish then
    Hey Vericc, can I ask what part of Northern Ireland you live?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Hey Vericc, can I ask what part of Northern Ireland you live?
    County Antrim why?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vericc View Post
    County Antrim why?
    Just curious. You're close to where my family originated from.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Just curious. You're close to where my family originated from.
    Oh that's cool

Hatred yes, prejudice yes, bigotry yes, racism no. Irish is not a race.
    I was just about to say the same thing. My grandfather (who wasn't Irish) used to talk about the "no Irish need apply" signs as recent as the 20s-30s

I recommend reading a book called "how the Irish became white."

or just wikipedia it if you are lazy
    The J-man